The Right side OL

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Just finished watching the cardinals game again. Was focusing on the right side of the line. The biggest problem I saw is the hand offs for stunts. Sweezy handed of a DT to no one and chased after a guy being pushed into the ground.

Most of the pressure on passing plays were from TE or a man unaccounted for, LB's and safety comming off the edge. Sweezy was straight burned once and screwed up his assignment another time allowing a defender to come in untouched. He gave up some interior pressure twice.

Bowie had two bad plays on protection, both lead to sacks. One was a fumble he recovered where he got just flat beat with speed from Abraham and the other was a good spin move. Other than that he did really well pass protecting.

Dockette did a good job of avoiding the cut block all game. Bowie for the most part cut well, he had one slow looking cut, and one where he hesitated because Sweezy was engaged and pulling the tackle as he was going out to the second level.

On other running plays they blew up the D-line, They did a great job of re-establishing the line of scrimmage a yard down field. The OLB gave Bowie a trouble when he was running away toward the sideline. He did well when he was sealing the edge.

The cardinals did a good job bringing the olb on the roll outs forcing the early throw.

Side note on the TD to Davis on 3rd and goal, Wilson missed him mighty early in the read, It looked like he was looking for a screen to left.

Edited: Just saw Fieldgulls have some good gifs up to see the line play. http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-...wks-russell-wilson-marshawn-lynch-golden-tate

bluengreen

Reaction score
Thanks for all of these detailed notes.

Sweezey worries me. He is very athletic for his size but it seems like he makes so many mistakes being such a recent switch from D, he just doesn't seem like an NFL starter. Every so often I see him do something pretty spectacular like a second level block that few linemen would have the speed to get to so I get what they see in him but he makes mistakes and gets pushed around a lot, it just doesn't seem like he is ready. I suppose if the rest of the line were uninjured his deficiencies could be more easily masked.

HawkHack

Reaction score
bluengreen":qlwvlnat said:

Sweezey worries me. He is very athletic for his size but it seems like he makes so many mistakes being such a recent switch from D, he just doesn't seem like an NFL starter. Every so often I see him do something pretty spectacular like a second level block that few linemen would have the speed to get to so I get what they see in him but he makes mistakes and gets pushed around a lot, it just doesn't seem like he is ready. I suppose if the rest of the line were uninjured his deficiencies could be more easily masked.
It ain't easy being Sweezy.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
HawkHack":364kounn said:
bluengreen":364kounn said:

I suppose if the rest of the line were uninjured his deficiencies could be more easily masked.

I think this is pretty much on the nose. The plan was for the more experienced guys to help him while he learns on the job. Instead we have had situations where Sweezy was the more experienced guy out there. I'm hoping that having Mike Rob back there will help with the DE's and OLB pick ups?

Largent80

Reaction score
In other news...

• There's still not timetable for the return of RT Breno Giacomini, who has missed the past four games. Carroll said Giacomini will need to practice for a couple of weeks before he's ready to return, and provided no timeline for when Giacomini would be back on the field.

Also some Harvin news, or non-news.... :lol:

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2379785/Seah ... rcy-Harvin

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Everyone piles on Carp but Sweezy and McQuistan are just as bad if not worse. IMO, they are worse.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
McQ is a good guard. He's just overmatched at tackle.

Sweezy is learning and road-grades as a run-blocker. Carp wishes he was as good as a run-blocker. Sweezy actually makes it into the second level without having a heart attack.

I'm not too worried about Giacomini being out. Bowie should probably have his job next year, and he's getting better every game.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
McQ still looks like an OG playing LT. Sweezy still looks like a DE playing RG. I'm not sure that's ever going to change. They are Cable-type guys, though, so I assume they'll be fixtures on the line even after we get healthier. I'm sort of giving up on the idea that this line will ever be significantly above average in pass protection. Cable is looking for very specific types to fill into his zone blocking scheme. All other attributes seem secondary.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1k90vk1a said:
McQ still looks like an OG playing LT. Sweezy still looks like a DE playing RG. I'm not sure that's ever going to change. They are Cable-type guys, though, so I assume they'll be fixtures on the line even after we get healthier. I'm sort of giving up on the idea that this line will ever be significantly above average in pass protection. Cable is looking for very specific types to fill into his zone blocking scheme. All other attributes seem secondary.
And because of this, in many people's opinion the offensive approach needs to be much more oriented towards quick passes, not 7 step drops to throw bombs downfield. I know this has been discussed a LOT here but the 7 step drops with a below avg. pass pro o-line makes little sense. Fortunately, we've seen it start to change and with the addition of Percy I think we'll see a lot more of the approach many of us think suits this team better. Won't hurt playing against teams with poorer defenses the rest of the schedule either.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
HawkHack":19e1x7mu said:
bluengreen":19e1x7mu said:

ha ha.

Jville

Reaction score
Converted guard JR Sweezy has only 10 starts in his brief career as an offensive guard and only 769 lifetime snaps on the offensive side of the line of scrimage. Odds are that his best games are yet to come.

Rookie tackle Michael Bowie who was also a little on the raw side when drafted has a grand total of 4 starts as a NFL tackle and only 295 snaps as an NFL lineman. Odds are his best games are in front of him as well.

I like the look of the right side of the offensive line in spite of the limited experience. IMHO the future looks very promising.

C-Dub

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":yi2j4rf8 said:
Bowie should probably have his job next year, and he's getting better every game.
Couldn't disagree more. Bowie had an awful game. Probably 2nd worse after Houston. It's going to take a lot of improvement to make me think it's his job next year.

Breno is too expensive for what he brings. I'd rather draft a replacement and/or see if we can re-up Breno on more of a vet minimum. I think he's at $4.5 million right now....laughable contract IMO. Though, I love his attitude. Might be my favorite on the team.

Jville

Reaction score
Paul McQuistan and Breno Giacomini were signed to two year team friendly base plus incentives contracts two years ago. Their current pay level reflects bonus they earned and claim during the 2012 season. Both are playing out their current contracts.

If either resign for 2014, a similar base+incentives approach should prevail.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
hawkfan68":33f546de said:
Everyone piles on Carp but Sweezy and McQuistan are just as bad if not worse. IMO, they are worse.

Let's try playing fat boy at left tackle and see how he fairs.

Thought so

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
C-Dub":28pznmlh said:
Smelly McUgly":28pznmlh said:
Bowie should probably have his job next year, and he's getting better every game.
Couldn't disagree more. Bowie had an awful game. Probably 2nd worse after Houston. It's going to take a lot of improvement to make me think it's his job next year.

Bowie gave up less pressures last week than in any week before. I do think he was the cause of a sack, but he played better by the eye test. PFF, while not grading him out of this world, seems to back me up, not that PFF is the be-all, end-all of player evaluation. We can just agree to disagree. I think Bowie is the future at RT.

OP
OP
F

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":23pwu5hw said:
C-Dub":23pwu5hw said:
Smelly McUgly":23pwu5hw said:

Bowie gave up less pressures last week than in any week before. I do think he was the cause of a sack, but he played better by the eye test. PFF, while not grading him out of this world, seems to back me up, not that PFF is the be-all, end-all of player evaluation. We can just agree to disagree. I think Bowie is the future at RT.

He gave up two sacks one was a strip sack. He gave up a half pressure. This is the stunt where he followed the DE and pushed him long and Sweazey handed off the DT to space.

Disagree quite a bit that he had a awful game. Besides the two sacks he was really solid. Really good push on DE DT has some trouble locating and locking onto LB's when they are flowing away from him.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I have been trying to watch them as close as I can and I think Bowie is improving every game. I see them all doing a good job in the run game, especially Sweezy. Outside of Jacksonville every team they have faced has been a upper tier front. AZ is aggressive in their rush and put a lot of pressure on the Line.

They are only going to get better as they go and I expect it to show later in the season. Breno will get his job back and I think he is an underrated scrapper. In a few short weeks we can expect Okung back too. He will be ready. By the time these guys get back there is going to be a pretty solid rotation. By the time the playoffs arrive? They should be playing quite well.

OP
OP
F

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Just wanted to add theese rushing stats per ESPN.

BY PLAY DIRECTION ATT YDS YD/A LONG 20+ TD YDS/G FUM FUML 1DN
Right Side 49 249 5.1 43 3 0 0.0 0 0 11
Left Side 51 209 4.1 24 1 2 0.0 1 0 14
Middle 63 316 5.0 25 2 4 0.0 1 1 15
Left Sideline 26 108 4.2 20 1 1 0.0 0 0 5
Right Sideline 34 213 6.3 23 1 0 0.0 0 0 13

Well hell, it wont space it nicely

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/splits/_/name/sea/type/rushing/seattle-seahawks

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there: With hindsight would anyone have kept John Moffitt or is this just swapping one potentially mediocre player for another?