So, we officially have hope for the season, right?

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
After a bit of a 'ranting' post - had to step away for a few days.

But, we officially have hope, right?

Defense needs some work. But, I don't think that it's as bad as the score would indicate from the Lions game. I agree with PC post game presser - they got burned by a handful of plays. I don't think that the game was even as close as it looked. I liked his comment: "we need to get those our of our game". Like just spraying raid on it or something ;)

Check out pimped out Geno at the post game presser. If there's a guy who's paying attention MORE and attempting to explain in his 5 red bull speed-talking session - Cover 0 and other crap to the press people - I don't know who it is. I love this now. I was pumped last year when he filled in, and started actually visibly reading his checkdowns instead of barfing on the system. Did I say run with Lock? Yup. Stupidly. I honestly don't know what else we could ask from the dude other than the last game. Hope he keeps it up. PC: "Geno played a heck of a game". You have a higher understated compliment than that that you've heard from coach in the last 7 years? I Don't.

One thing I DO know? We FINALLY OVERCAME BAD OFFICIATING. TWICE. Say that 5 times quickly. We didn't curl up into a ball in the corner and start mumbling. We overcame the non DPI call on DK, and the bullshit holding call of 1000 times - and got back up on the bike and started pedaling.

THAT is coaching. THAT is attitude, and THAT's a playoff team.

I'm stoked - bring on the saints. Who DAT? Indeed.

toffee

Reaction score
After a bit of a 'ranting' post - had to step away for a few days.

But, we officially have hope, right?

Defense needs some work. But, I don't think that it's as bad as the score would indicate from the Lions game. I agree with PC post game presser - they got burned by a handful of plays. I don't think that the game was even as close as it looked. I liked his comment: "we need to get those our of our game". Like just spraying raid on it or something ;)

Check out pimped out Geno at the post game presser. If there's a guy who's paying attention MORE and attempting to explain in his 5 red bull speed-talking session - Cover 0 and other crap to the press people - I don't know who it is. I love this now. I was pumped last year when he filled in, and started actually visibly reading his checkdowns instead of barfing on the system. Did I say run with Lock? Yup. Stupidly. I honestly don't know what else we could ask from the dude other than the last game. Hope he keeps it up. PC: "Geno played a heck of a game". You have a higher understated compliment than that that you've heard from coach in the last 7 years? I Don't.

One thing I DO know? We FINALLY OVERCAME BAD OFFICIATING. TWICE. Say that 5 times quickly. We didn't curl up into a ball in the corner and start mumbling. We overcame the non DPI call on DK, and the bullshit holding call of 1000 times - and got back up on the bike and started pedaling.

Our defense needs LOTS of work, LOTS of changes, won't be surprised with changing in coaches. Our defense are #31 or #32 ranked, Woolen's plays gave us smiles and hope, but the front seven haven't been earning their paychecks.

The offense is currently #11 or 12 ranked, couple of good games, we can be top 10 or better. Make no mistake, the offense is carrying the defense, and Geno Smith is carrying the offense. We shall find out if we are witnessing Geno's floor or ceiling in coming games.
But yes, we are in the playoff hunt, as unbelievable as it may be. I will cheer my Hawks on as much as I could, till their wheel fall off, or till Pete and Geno kiss Lombardy trophy.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Our defense needs LOTS of work, LOTS of changes, won't be surprised with changing in coaches. Our defense are #31 or #32 ranked, Woolen's plays gave us smiles and hope, but the front seven haven't been earning their paychecks.

The offense is currently #11 or 12 ranked, couple of good games, we can be top 10 or better. Make no mistake, the offense is carrying the defense, and Geno Smith is carrying the offense. We shall find out if we are witnessing Geno's floor or ceiling in coming games.
But yes, we are in the playoff hunt, as unbelievable as it may be. I will cheer my Hawks on as much as I could, till their wheel fall off, or till Pete and Geno kiss Lombardy trophy.
Depending what metrics you use, our offense is ranked even higher. (We're #3 by DVOA right now, even with Opp. adjustments).

If we're only basing things on how our offense is playing this year, in these 4 games, with no preconceptions about Geno Smith's floor ceiling or about how good other teams may or may not be after they 'turn the corner', but JUST these games, we're a top 5 offense in this league.

This is, to say the least, a bit shocking but maybe shouldn't be.

We have weapons all over the offensive side of the ball... Metcalf, Lockett, Dissly, Penny. Our biggest problem as an offense for the last couple of seasons was QB play that was not in sync with the rest of the offense. We got rid of our biggest problem on offense, upgraded key spots on the offensive line. That alone would have improved our offensive outlook compared to last year. You sprinkle in the fact that Geno Smith is playing better than anyone could have reasonably expected and now we go from 'better than last year' to legit good.

But even if our offense continues to be one of the top 3 in the league (a big if), our defense would have to improve a good amount to improve. They are currently so bad that they are holding our offensive production back. I saw flickers of improvement though in the Detroit game and a top 5 offense is always a threat to make the playoffs, even with a bad D... (but maybe not this bad.)

toffee

Reaction score
Depending what metrics you use, our offense is ranked even higher. (We're #3 by DVOA right now, even with Opp. adjustments).

If we're only basing things on how our offense is playing this year, in these 4 games, with no preconceptions about Geno Smith's floor ceiling or about how good other teams may or may not be after they 'turn the corner', but JUST these games, we're a top 5 offense in this league.

This is, to say the least, a bit shocking but maybe shouldn't be.

We have weapons all over the offensive side of the ball... Metcalf, Lockett, Dissly, Penny. Our biggest problem as an offense for the last couple of seasons was QB play that was not in sync with the rest of the offense. We got rid of our biggest problem on offense, upgraded key spots on the offensive line. That alone would have improved our offensive outlook compared to last year. You sprinkle in the fact that Geno Smith is playing better than anyone could have reasonably expected and now we go from 'better than last year' to legit good.

But even if our offense continues to be one of the top 3 in the league (a big if), our defense would have to improve a good amount to improve. They are currently so bad that they are holding our offensive production back. I saw flickers of improvement though in the Detroit game and a top 5 offense is always a threat to make the playoffs, even with a bad D... (but maybe not this bad.)
We can't go far with current defense, so we have to hope the defense turn itself around and be above average.

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
After Week 2 I thought our offense was going to be a problem all year. I felt very little hope.
Could the defense make a similar improvement? If so, we are a playoff contender in what appeared to be a lost season. LETS GO!!!

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
We can't go far with current defense, so we have to hope the defense turn itself around and be above average.
They only need to get to average, to be honest. We went 2-2 with the worst/2nd worst defense in the league. If they improve to middling we'd probably be sitting pretty.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Pete has managed to turn the D around in the past. People always thinks he meddles and that's why the D opens up bad, but I think it is the opposite. Until he meddles the D is bad. He has potential to get it to at least mediocre.

Barton, Brooks, Jones and Taylor have all been bad though. Need more Mafe and Neal and I am all for giving Muse a shot to play the Adams role or replace Barton.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Take things week to week.

A lot of people get ahead of themselves with expectations when the team looks good to start out the season, then lose their minds when they don't live up to the expectation. Some of those wished the season away early because the team didn't "win like they were supposed to" or didn't look like the clear favorite to win a Super Bowl.

I know quite a few people have been throwing around "mediocre" to reference the team when they were consistently making the playoffs but not going deep enough. Those teams were at least good. "Mediocre" is what we had to endure for at least 10 consecutive seasons (1993-2002). 6 to 9 wins every year. "Almost making the playoffs" so any of those. Spending the last week of the season hoping four other things happened so the team would make it in. Just enough to get your hopes up so they could be crushed.

Enjoy the good weeks. Find fun things in the bad ones. This team is allowing nearly 29 points a game. The offense was completely blanked two weeks ago. Yes, Geno Smith is riding high. But he has a lot of weeks to go to not just be another journeyman who got on a hot streak. He could end up being the greatest QB turnaround of all time, but it's unlikely. Just enjoy what he's doing right now, and whatever else you get out of the team.

This team is legitimately mediocre at best until some things fall into place. Enjoy what they give you on a week to week basis, but "hope for the season" just sets you up for likely disappointment.

GemCity

Reaction score
I haven’t shifted positions yet and doubt I will.
The win against Denver was incredible and I don’t have additional expectations at this point.

I’m relishing in the fact that we tore it up in this years draft. I’m loving this current crop…especially Woolen.

I’m also floored at how well Geno is playing. PC and JS are looking like geniuses at this point. Definitely shocked at how poorly guys like Brooks are playing.

Anything positive is a building block towards the future. I just want us to retain our draft capital, pass on a guy like Roquan Smith, and build this thing from the line(s) out.

Don’t get me wrong, a playoff run this year? O helllls yes. Proving everyone wrong and even hitting a Wildcard is insane.

But there are so many other great things to watch along the way that don’t always equate to wins. And that….is A-ok.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Didn't get my hope notarized, so don't officially have it. Just watching intriguing players like Geno, Lucas, Cross, DK, Woolen, Penny, Mafe, Walker, Dallas, Parkinson, and Dissly, with an eye on the 2023 season and beyond. Whatever happens this season, good or bad = whatever!

Rainger

Reaction score

And the bullSh*t intentional grounding when he had got out past the hash marks and the pocket and got the ball past the LOS.

Scout

Reaction score
The defense just needs to reach NFL average which is reasonable if the offense can sustain this high of level of play. I think the defense is easier to address because it is not a talent deficiency for the most part. Gap control, stacking and shedding from blocks, staying home, setting the edge and tackling are all basic fundamentals. The only area where the Hawks may be deficient is having an A+ edge rusher. But given they are using a 34 you don't need to have an A+ edge rusher to bring pressure. But third and long obvious pass rushing situations are not going to materialize if you can't tackle and can't stop the run on early downs.

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
Take things week to week.

A lot of people get ahead of themselves with expectations when the team looks good to start out the season, then lose their minds when they don't live up to the expectation. Some of those wished the season away early because the team didn't "win like they were supposed to" or didn't look like the clear favorite to win a Super Bowl.

I know quite a few people have been throwing around "mediocre" to reference the team when they were consistently making the playoffs but not going deep enough. Those teams were at least good. "Mediocre" is what we had to endure for at least 10 consecutive seasons (1993-2002). 6 to 9 wins every year. "Almost making the playoffs" so any of those. Spending the last week of the season hoping four other things happened so the team would make it in. Just enough to get your hopes up so they could be crushed.

Enjoy the good weeks. Find fun things in the bad ones. This team is allowing nearly 29 points a game. The offense was completely blanked two weeks ago. Yes, Geno Smith is riding high. But he has a lot of weeks to go to not just be another journeyman who got on a hot streak. He could end up being the greatest QB turnaround of all time, but it's unlikely. Just enjoy what he's doing right now, and whatever else you get out of the team.

This team is legitimately mediocre at best until some things fall into place. Enjoy what they give you on a week to week basis, but "hope for the season" just sets you up for likely disappointment.
I agree with a lot of what you have to say here but I don’t agree that Gino will regress to the journeymen status you refer to. I do think he will struggle against teams that have a strong pass rush and good cover corners. I think Gino is mentally stronger than he was as a younger man and has the support of the office of coordinator the roster and the head coach. I don’t expect him to be as good as he was on Sunday against the Lions very often, but I do expect him to be better than he was in the first two weeks for the rest of the season.

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
The defense just needs to reach NFL average which is reasonable if the offense can sustain this high of level of play. I think the defense is easier to address because it is not a talent deficiency for the most part. Gap control, stacking and shedding from blocks, staying home, setting the edge and tackling are all basic fundamentals. The only area where the Hawks may be deficient is having an A+ edge rusher. But given they are using a 34 you don't need to have an A+ edge rusher to bring pressure. But third and long obvious pass rushing situations are not going to materialize if you can't tackle and can't stop the run on early downs.
You do need the three guys up front to stymie and/or push back the five offensive linemen in order to utilize the unpredictable attacks from the strong/fast guys to kill plays.
Somebody please correct me if I’m wrong here but in my mind when you’re running a 34 defense you’re supposed to be running downhill attacking the s*** out of the offense versus a 43 where you’re playing a little more pass defense and hoping the defensive line can reach the quarterback.
It looks like we’re laying back to try to read the defense while running of 34. That doesn’t make any sense to me

Scout

Reaction score
The Rams and DC Morris last year took away a lot of the boundary throws but Geno still feasted with the intermediate mid field throws. Geno has no problem throwing in the middle of the field and marching down field as that is a comfort of his. Geno isn't a Jameis Winston where you are holding your breath when he throws in the middle of the field.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Hope for what exactly? A winning season? A .500 season? Playoffs? Super Bowl? I think we are getting a little bit ahead of our ski's. It's week 5.