Sherman's latest article

Throwdown

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":nsgbpgva said:
S'all good. :) I take it you had a serious crush on one of your teachers in junior high, or something?

Mary K. Letourneau was his teacher?

pehawk

Reaction score
Nope, never had a crush on a teacher. I think it works opposite, actually. I was the juvenile delinquent they could never reach, like Michelle Pfeifer did in "Dangerous Minds". All those broads wanted to be her.

The male teachers I dated wanted to be Edward J Olmos.

C-Dub

Reaction score
themunn":1fzye45f said:
C-Dub":1fzye45f said:
The players get paid for preseason. It's in their salary. Just split player salaries into 24 weeks or so to factor in camp, preseason, and the regular season. Simple fix.

what about players that never make it past preseason
Whatever it says in the contract.

C-Dub

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":32n1zwhn said:
C-Dub":32n1zwhn said:
The players get paid for preseason. It's in their salary. Just split player salaries into 24 weeks or so to factor in camp, preseason, and the regular season. Simple fix.

Incorrect. They don't get game checks till week 1.

They may get some money during training camp but the big checks start rolling in once the regular season starts.
See this is where you are wrong. True they don't get paid till week 1, but part of that play is for training camp, practice, and preseason.

mikeak

Reaction score
C-Dub":dukov3aa said:

Except they don't really. You split the salary on regular season and when suspended one game that matters...

MrCarey

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3on0s4du said:
Players don't get paid for the preseason like school teachers don't get paid for the summer.

Honestly, I just scrolled through because I knew most posts would be the same, and this was the first one I saw that really made me laugh.

You just can't compare the two. Teachers aren't possibly losing their jobs because their employers are putting them in a situation that could make them lose the ability to perform said job. Owners are making a shit ton of money from preseason games because of the ticket sales, beer sales, food sales, etc. etc. etc. You can hate on player wages all you want, but the owners make WAY too much in comparison.

As NFL Network's commercial says, "PAY THAT MAN!"

C-Dub":3on0s4du said:
Tech Worlds":3on0s4du said:
C-Dub":3on0s4du said:

Incorrect. They don't get game checks till week 1.

They may get some money during training camp but the big checks start rolling in once the regular season starts.
See this is where you are wrong. True they don't get paid till week 1, but part of that play is for training camp, practice, and preseason.

Just wondering. If they get cut after an injury, do they get all of that money? I'm really not sure.

MrCarey

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2bnr17fd said:
Wow Florio slammed him. That almost sounds like its personal

Florio spent more time mildly insulting Sherman than anything.

NoChops

Reaction score
I can cry all day how my CEO made ten million in bonuses last year and I only got a 12 cent increase. Nobody who leads my industry is gonna give a flip. Like Mr. Sherman, I am the one in the trenches. A compliance error (aka blown knee) or ethics violation ( a dope rap) ends my job without a second glance. I don't get a 4-6 week time out, I don't get rehab and a chance to lead my team again. I don't get paid for the rest of the year even though they have no intention of bringing me back. I'm out on the street, with a scarlet letter no less.

If I could do a titty bump off my CFO's trophy wife who is half MY age and only have to take few weeks off work, I'd be all over that.

A pro jock bitching about inequities, is damn right hilarious.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
NoChops":uq75p1yp said:
I can cry all day how my CEO made ten million in bonuses last year and I only got a 12 cent increase. Nobody who leads my industry is gonna give a flip. Like Mr. Sherman, I am the one in the trenches. A compliance error (aka blown knee) or ethics violation ( a dope rap) ends my job without a second glance. I don't get a 4-6 week time out, I don't get rehab and a chance to lead my team again. I don't get paid for the rest of the year even though they have no intention of bringing me back. I'm out on the street, with a scarlet letter no less.

If I could do a titty bump off my CFO's trophy wife who is half MY age and only have to take few weeks off work, I'd be all over that.

A pro jock bitching about inequities, is damn right hilarious.
And fans who fall back on the tired old "athletes have it so good, they should just shut up" rap are jealous balloon knots.

NoChops

Reaction score
not jealous at all, happy for the guy, and hope he keeps writing his opinion. But Im not gonna feel bad for him for having to get by on a little less once in a while, we all do it. Like I said, Mr. Sherman and I can go out and do an 8 ball tomorrow, he gets a time out, I become homeless. He can say what he wants, but Id hope he might keep a little perspective.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
I find his point interesting they get $1500 a week in preseason but still risk the same injuries as regular season. He also was making an example that while they get paid dramatically less the owners don't really charge that much less of the fans at the games, in comparison.

kearly

Reaction score
Florio is nitpicking. Sherman's overall message is on point.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I just don't see how pre-season games aren't factored into the amount the player gets paid. If there were no pre-season games, the checks the players get for the actual games would be less. Pre-season games generate revenue, and ultimately raises the ceiling for the amount players can get paid. Just because a contract doesn't specify getting paid for preseason games, doesn't mean they aren't a factor in determining a player's salary. I see a salary as everything...being part of the team, adhering to NFL rules, playing in games, training camp, etc.

I suppose this could affect players who play in pre-season and then get cut before the actual season, but not players like Sherman.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Sherm is a bawse. Him and Russell are going to be presidents one day. Florio is a clown who doesn't even know that the good Zack Miller doesn't play for the Bucs.