NBA returning to Seattle?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: NBA returning to Seattle?
Thu May 16, 2013 4:18 am
  • Throwdown wrote:Still can't get over this cornball having to validate himself

"Shots fired"

Lawd that's hilarious

Right? You're supposed to wait for some other muppet to say that.

Muppet.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu May 16, 2013 5:19 am
  • Some of the weakest smack I've ever read.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 5:58 am
  • I'm just gonna leave this here, I put this in a PM to another poster who's in freak out mode. Some might not want to read or hear it, but I"m posting it anyway because this thing isn't over, Seattle will get an NBA franchise.

I look at it differently, you didn't see they started their TV deal talks already? The NBA wants us back, its just Sacramento did enough, fair enough for me. I personally like that, it means the NBA has learned from its fuck ups in Seattle & Vancouver and now incumbent cities now get a fair shake, I think us in Seattle just now learned how the NBA works with things like this NOW.

Stern will always be the villain here, and its because of the way things went down from 2006-08, and I think he's fine with that. But this new commissioner in waiting, Adam Silver sounds like he wants to be the guy to bring the NBA back to Seattle and be Seattle's hero along side Hansen and the gang (IMO).

Don't give up just cuz we took an L, bro! Our day is coming, and I personally believe its coming later this year when the the TV negotiations are complete. They aren't going into these negotiations without Seattle in them, believe that! TV Negotiations are just the first step to bringing about expansion.

inb4 Blitzer's says his usually "I DON'T KNOW MANNN" stuff.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu May 16, 2013 6:25 am
  • Throwdown wrote:I'm just gonna leave this here, I put this in a PM to another poster who's in freak out mode. Some might not want to read or hear it, but I"m posting it anyway because this thing isn't over, Seattle will get an NBA franchise.

I look at it differently, you didn't see they started their TV deal talks already? The NBA wants us back, its just Sacramento did enough, fair enough for me. I personally like that, it means the NBA has learned from its fuck ups in Seattle & Vancouver and now incumbent cities now get a fair shake, I think us in Seattle just now learned how the NBA works with things like this NOW.

Stern will always be the villain here, and its because of the way things went down from 2006-08, and I think he's fine with that. But this new commissioner in waiting, Adam Silver sounds like he wants to be the guy to bring the NBA back to Seattle and be Seattle's hero along side Hansen and the gang (IMO).

Don't give up just cuz we took an L, bro! Our day is coming, and I personally believe its coming later this year when the the TV negotiations are complete. They aren't going into these negotiations without Seattle in them, believe that! TV Negotiations are just the first step to bringing about expansion.

I am 100% with you throw. I'm not ready to throw in the towel. We're just getting started IMO. Stern pissed me off with his OKC jab, but later in his PC, it sounded like he was carefully dancing around the thought of expansion and the impending TV talks. What this tells me is Stern and Silver sees the $ signs in Seattle and want to hammer out this new TV deal ASAP so expansion can finally be on the table. Hansen's comments also lead me to believe there is something in the works behind the scenes. Just gotta be patient cuz this thing is far from over
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 6:27 am
  • I can see Hansen/Ballmer and the NBA considering expansion in a few years, once the TV deal is known. Hopefully no local politicians are put in power who tries to gut the MOU, which supposedly requires both the city and county to rescind it. Short term, I guess Hansen continues with the things required to begin construction, without actually starting construction.

I am not sure the NBA approves his minority limited partner 20% share of the Kings. Unless the Sac group is on board with that. I am thinking the Maloofs and the Sac Group come to an agreement to sell before the weekend is over. I don't see the Maloofs retaining ownership as they are over a barrel and have no lifelines to play.

Salamander condolences post reminds me of the SonicsRising post to the Sac fans when the Hansen deal was announced. To the Victor goes the spoils. People are not going to let Sonics fans lick their wounds. Blazers, Kings and Thunder fan(s) are getting some pleasure from this display of pain.

I blame this entire mess on Blitz88. j/k big guy.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Thu May 16, 2013 6:36 am
  • I agree with Throwdown and others. Frankly, I prefer the idea of expansion over taking another city's team, but I would rather have the Kings than nothing. My ideal scenario yesterday would've been 'no' on the Kings but an immediate expansion. The only attachment I have to getting the Kings specifically, other than that by all rights Hansen and Ballmer SHOULD have been able to purchase the Kings the same way our Sonics got stolen, was that IT is on that team and that would've been a great story.

I think Stern has his own private feelings about Seattle, but I'm not convinced "the NBA" does. I think when expansion comes up, we'll get one of the two (I agree that it's likely to be two) teams, and people will be excited about the new arena, the new team, and the potential of getting an NHL team. It's just going to come later than it should have.

I'm happy for Sacramento. It's nice that they don't have to feel what we felt. But I'd still rather have had them be the ones to suffer this time around, rather than Seattle twice in a row.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 7:08 am
  • I'm kind of numb at this point... the Stern jab at us stung a bit though.

But this whole roller coaster ride, after awhile I just shut it down.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 7:18 am
  • But guys, we got a Super Bowl to win! No time to sulk!!! HBN will continue to do the work to bring the NBA back, there's no need to worry about this for now.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu May 16, 2013 7:47 am
  • Is it weird that I don't hate Clay Bennett?
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 7:50 am
  • I'm not a Sonics fan, but the Sacramento trolls are hilarious. They do realize their team will still suck right? They do realize the Maloofs are going to run that franchise even deeper into the ground right? :lol:
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Thu May 16, 2013 7:54 am
  • Hasselbeck wrote:I'm not a Sonics fan, but the Sacramento trolls are hilarious. They do realize their team will still suck right? They do realize the Maloofs are going to run that franchise even deeper into the ground right? :lol:

I mean even if the Maloofs do sell (I believe they will) the team will not ever keep its star players, its a small market team and the Ranadive group said they wouldn't take any of the revenue stream, which would be used to keep their players. Good job, Vivek.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu May 16, 2013 7:57 am
  • Throwdown wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:I'm not a Sonics fan, but the Sacramento trolls are hilarious. They do realize their team will still suck right? They do realize the Maloofs are going to run that franchise even deeper into the ground right? :lol:

I mean even if the Maloofs do sell (I believe they will) the team will not ever keep its star players, its a small market team and the Ranadive group said they wouldn't take any of the revenue stream, which would be used to keep their players. Good job, Vivek.

This plus I don't think they will be able to build their arena. There are serious questions about where the money is coming from. Heck KJ is getting sued for illegal use of funds and I've read mumblings about some trying to get KJ impeached. Also the group that's trying to get the arena to a public vote has already started getting signatures. Only takes 33,000 to get something on a ballot and we know that once it's on a ballot it almost never passes because who wants to pass huge tax increases?

I've also read that the city of Sacramento is at its debt limit until 2022.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 8:02 am
  • Well, its not our problem so does it matter? lol
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu May 16, 2013 8:15 am
  • Why do you guys keep thinking the Maloofs won't sell to Ranadive? Even George Maloof debunked that report
    NorCal
    NET Rookie

Thu May 16, 2013 8:20 am
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:I'm not a Sonics fan, but the Sacramento trolls are hilarious. They do realize their team will still suck right? They do realize the Maloofs are going to run that franchise even deeper into the ground right? :lol:

This plus I don't think they will be able to build their arena. There are serious questions about where the money is coming from. Heck KJ is getting sued for illegal use of funds and I've read mumblings about some trying to get KJ impeached. Also the group that's trying to get the arena to a public vote has already started getting signatures. Only takes 33,000 to get something on a ballot and we know that once it's on a ballot it almost never passes because who wants to pass huge tax increases?

I've also read that the city of Sacramento is at its debt limit until 2022.

And barely anyone there has a job.

You can't tax unemployed people and you can't tax the businesses that have already left town (just had a flashback to diamond Joe Quimby and his leaving town tax. Lol). From what I've read, as the capital city of the state most of the work force is made up of government workers. Well we've all heard how prosperous California has been in recent years... not. All the recent budget and program cuts to the state and local governments have been leading to mass layoffs in the government work force that makes up the majority of Sac's population. So with all these people not working and all these jobs not coming to town, where the hell is all this mystery money going to come from..?

I seriously fail to see how any of this makes any economic sense.........

a review of Sac's glowing economy

Oh and yes it is very wrong of you to not hate Clay Bennett

Also, just thinking about it... What I haven't heard mentioned is that Sacramento is barely an hour's drive to Oakland (ie. Golden State). Next closest team to seattle is Portland, and that's what... almost 3 hours drive? Why the F can't Sacramento people just watch games in Oakland..?
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Thu May 16, 2013 8:30 am
  • cause the 2000 ppl that want the kings there don't want to have to buy new merch.
    God Bless America and God Bless the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - TEZ

Mike Bullene ‏@12thManM1ke 45m
    @TDESPN Though, you did say the other night you cannot win the SB riding a defense. Even though you are literally the poster child for that. --twittered back at dilfer after he tried to slam hawks fans.
    hawkcrazzed
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Thu May 16, 2013 8:34 am
  • I'm still stuck between waiting for expansion and wanting to see HBN go nuclear over the Kings.
    Just the cynical side of me, I guess. I've seen too many big projects in Seattle get blown up to be confident that the MOU will survive the full 5 years. And I can't take anything the NBA says about expansion seriously without something TANGIBLE in writing - until then, it's just too easy to dismiss as the NBA's attempt to keep HBN on the hook so they can just use is as leverage in the next city.
    Because the more I've thought about it, the more I've realized that the ONLY valid reason the NBA has for not officially granting us expansion yesterday is because they still need us as leverage to make the Kings deal come together.
    The TV deal by itself is a lame excuse, because think about the timeline - it's going to take 1-2 years to get the arena built. HBN needs the guarantee of the team as soon possible to start building so that they're ready to start play when the new deal goes into effect. And if there really ate going to be 31 teams, the NBA is going to want to show that as a fact when they start negotiations with the networks, because it will justify a higher asking price.
    IMO, it makes the potential sale of the 20% a big-time show of faith - and that's probably why Hansen still wants to go through with it, as a way to hedge his bets and a test to see if the NBA truly means what they say about expansion.

Still a lot of shoes left to drop over the next few days.
    I'm sick of chasing after my dreams. I'm just going to find out where they're headed, and catch up with them later.
    - Mitch Hedberg
    vedthree
    * NET Sage *

Thu May 16, 2013 8:38 am
  • Throwdown wrote:Well, its not our problem so does it matter? lol

Depending on how the financial votes go, it definitely could be.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 8:39 am
  • NorCal wrote:Why do you guys keep thinking the Maloofs won't sell to Ranadive? Even George Maloof debunked that report

Not quite. Maloofs said they wouldn't rule it out and that they would meet as a family and discuss keeping the team. George also said he is loyal to Chris.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 8:49 am
  • @kcrabienick: Just spoke with George Maloof at airport in Phoenix. Says he believes deal will be reached with Ranadive.

Followed by

@kcrabienick: Maloof says Hansen still interested in buying stake of #nbakings. Says that's part of talks.

Sounds like Hansen might be forcing his way into the NBA's "club" and I love it. Maloofs still standing by Hansen which is great. This thing is not over. Not by a long shot.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 8:52 am
  • vedthree wrote:I'm still stuck between waiting for expansion and wanting to see HBN go nuclear over the Kings.
    Just the cynical side of me, I guess. I've seen too many big projects in Seattle get blown up to be confident that the MOU will survive the full 5 years. And I can't take anything the NBA says about expansion seriously without something TANGIBLE in writing - until then, it's just too easy to dismiss as the NBA's attempt to keep HBN on the hook so they can just use is as leverage in the next city.
    Because the more I've thought about it, the more I've realized that the ONLY valid reason the NBA has for not officially granting us expansion yesterday is because they still need us as leverage to make the Kings deal come together.
    The TV deal by itself is a lame excuse, because think about the timeline - it's going to take 1-2 years to get the arena built. HBN needs the guarantee of the team as soon possible to start building so that they're ready to start play when the new deal goes into effect. And if there really ate going to be 31 teams, the NBA is going to want to show that as a fact when they start negotiations with the networks, because it will justify a higher asking price.
    IMO, it makes the potential sale of the 20% a big-time show of faith - and that's probably why Hansen still wants to go through with it, as a way to hedge his bets and a test to see if the NBA truly means what they say about expansion.

Still a lot of shoes left to drop over the next few days.

I love reading your stuff because you an always put it more succinctly than I ever could. I'm still pissed, but I want to see if the NBA is legitimate in their desire to expand via them talking about the TV deals earlier. It'll be interesting to see what Hansen does at this point.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 8:59 am
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:
    @kcrabienick: Just spoke with George Maloof at airport in Phoenix. Says he believes deal will be reached with Ranadive.

Followed by

@kcrabienick: Maloof says Hansen still interested in buying stake of #nbakings. Says that's part of talks.

Sounds like Hansen might be forcing his way into the NBA's "club" and I love it. Maloofs still standing by Hansen which is great. This thing is not over. Not by a long shot.

You can't honestly believe that the NBA is going to approve a sale of 20% to Hansen at this point with the Maloofs still in charge? No way that happens.

THe only way I can see Hansen getting 20% is if he is in the Ranadive group. which would be really weird, but hey, it gets him in the "club" right?
    NorCal
    NET Rookie

Thu May 16, 2013 9:02 am
  • NorCal wrote:
    Hawkfan77 wrote:
    @kcrabienick: Just spoke with George Maloof at airport in Phoenix. Says he believes deal will be reached with Ranadive.

Followed by

You can't honestly believe that the NBA is going to approve a sale of 20% to Hansen at this point with the Maloofs still in charge? No way that happens.

THe only way I can see Hansen getting 20% is if he is in the Ranadive group. which would be really weird, but hey, it gets him in the "club" right?

That's what I'm wondering. Maybe he's trying to get an in to work some of the owners for Seattle's favor down the line. It would be weird, but if he feels thats what it would take to get the team I could see it.
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 9:09 am
  • Maybe Hansen does a favor in Sac for the NBA like Bennett did for them when he got OKC to host the Hornets after Katrina?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu May 16, 2013 9:20 am
  • I understand the hate for Stern, he's a king douche bag, but why no hate for your own civic leaders in Olympia and Seattle who pretty much kicked Stern in the ass? You have to ask yourself, if only our local guys would have just shown they would try would the Sonics be gone? Right now I would bet good money Stern wouldn't have let the Sonics move had they just tried a little bit, hell the Sac group has an agreement for a new Arena that is as stable as RGIII ACL, and we offered at least double what the Kings are worth, and they aren't moving.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 9:27 am
  • CPHawk wrote:I understand the hate for Stern, he's a king douche bag, but why no hate for your own civic leaders in Olympia and Seattle who pretty much kicked Stern in the ass? You have to ask yourself, if only our local guys would have just shown they would try would the Sonics be gone? Right now I would bet good money Stern wouldn't have let the Sonics move had they just tried a little bit, hell the Sac group has an agreement for a new Arena that is as stable as RGIII ACL, and we offered at least double what the Kings are worth, and they aren't moving.

Who says we don't hate those "leaders"? Again if you're not a fan then you don't understand. Don't tell us how to feel
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 9:29 am
  • CPHawk wrote:I understand the hate for Stern, he's a king douche bag, but why no hate for your own civic leaders in Olympia and Seattle who pretty much kicked Stern in the ass? You have to ask yourself, if only our local guys would have just shown they would try would the Sonics be gone? Right now I would bet good money Stern wouldn't have let the Sonics move had they just tried a little bit, hell the Sac group has an agreement for a new Arena that is as stable as RGIII ACL, and we offered at least double what the Kings are worth, and they aren't moving.

Yep, like him or not KJ played this nearly perfectly.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 9:30 am
  • CPHawk wrote:if only our local guys would have just shown they would try would the Sonics be gone?

Try? They approved Hansen's arena deal right? I know its 5 years later and a lot of different politicians. But I think it shows with the right leadership from the sports/private sector side, and a good arena deal, things can get done.

At the time, the city, county and state were not going to just give away 600 million of public money for some new billionaire in town demanding it.

So I'm not sure what you mean by 'try'.

I'll add to this, I don't think its the city's job to cater to these sports owners, its not the city's job to build their arena's for them. It's not the city's job to plan it all for the sports ownership.

Do they need to help when approached with a good plan that they will benefit from? Sure. So I guess I don't place too much blame on the Sonics leaving on the local politicians as most people do. I want them and our taxes focused on the important things, infrastructure, police, fire dep. etc. My blame mostly falls on Schultz and Bennett.
    Last edited by twisted_steel2 on Thu May 16, 2013 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 9:32 am

Thu May 16, 2013 9:47 am
  • I thought that after this last rejection I would be to ticked to even care about basketball and I would just want revenge on the nba for breaking my heart a second time. Oddly enough though, I am left still wanting a team back more than ever. Maybe it is because of Chris Hansen who I belive will get it done somehow.
    edogg23
    NET Starter

Thu May 16, 2013 9:48 am
  • TheRealDTM wrote:http://nba.si.com/2013/05/16/david-stern-seattle-super-sonics-oklahoma-city-thunder-media-memphis-grizzlies/

At least the nation understands how F'd it is.

Lots of national media types were talking about it on twitter too, how classless it was, so unnecessary.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 10:32 am
  • Throwdown wrote:I'm just gonna leave this here, I put this in a PM to another poster who's in freak out mode. Some might not want to read or hear it, but I"m posting it anyway because this thing isn't over, Seattle will get an NBA franchise.

I want to get behind this at this point and time, but I just can't. I don't see the NBA coming, if ever for a very long time all the while the deal/arena plan that H/B/N developed will go by the way-side. Can dangit.....I can't wait any longer for an NBA team, I want one now and Stern ruined that for me!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Thu May 16, 2013 10:38 am
  • Blitzer88 wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:I'm just gonna leave this here, I put this in a PM to another poster who's in freak out mode. Some might not want to read or hear it, but I"m posting it anyway because this thing isn't over, Seattle will get an NBA franchise.

I want to get behind this at this point and time, but I just can't. I don't see the NBA coming, if ever for a very long time all the while the deal/arena plan that H/B/N developed will go by the way-side. Can dangit.....I can't wait any longer for an NBA team, I want one now and Stern ruined that for me!

I don't see it happening either, which is why I'm all for the nuking option. But if expansion actually is an option and they are fast tracking the TV talks for a reason, sure. I'm game. I can wait a couple of years for a team, as long as it is guaranteed. The Sacramento plan is going to blow up in the NBA's faces, and I am going to laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh.
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 10:42 am
  • TheIllusiveMan wrote:Hello there Seattle.

How are you today? I'm sure you know by now and oh boy do your tears taste delicious. A little too salty though. I can see why, not only did you get chosen over by a superior market, but you have that constantly depressing weather up there to go along with the aura of mediocrity known as the city of Seattle. A town full of nothing but failure. So sad. Clearly the NBA sees the far superior value in California over Washington. California is superior in every possible category, and it isn't even remotely close. There's also the fact that we constantly dominate you in sports year after year. I'd be angry too.

Support your other teams so the same doesn't happen again. The saying is so true, silence is golden isn't it?

Suck it sore losers!

Shots fired.

Don't you get what this is? This dude is 5"1', bald at twenty-five, pays 300' dominatrixes to bellow insults at him while using whips to "punish" him for being a "bad little boy". With this "shots fired" post he has bent over and pulled his butt-cheeks apart and Vasolined up awaiting the gang-bang. Now I'm tellin ya'll--you want to be stayin the f away from THAT mess. Just leave it alone and the Bad Little Boy will go off and find some dominatrix-chubber porn to have a limp spasm to and leave us the f alone.
    5 NINERS HEAD COACHES WHO COULD KEEP THE SEAHAWKS RIVALRY ALIVE
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/12/17/ ... lry-alive/
    Follow me on Twitter:
    @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 10:59 am

Believe me there was plenty of hate for local civic leaders when the Sonics moved, but those guys aren't around anymore. 2) Once Stern's boofoo buddy Bennet got the Sonics it was all over - the arena plan was a total gouge that never would've been approved by local gov, which was Bennet's intention.
    5 NINERS HEAD COACHES WHO COULD KEEP THE SEAHAWKS RIVALRY ALIVE
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/12/17/ ... lry-alive/
    Follow me on Twitter:
    @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 12:14 pm
  • Well hey if it takes another year or two for an expansion team Durant will be that much closer to being a free agent... :pray:
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 12:26 pm

To me the issue was the 95 remodel of Seattle Center. Plus the lease not being the type of lease that the NBA later figured all teams needed to make money with. Stern himself was shaking hands and kissing babies when the 95 remodel occurred, saying the arena was state of the art. Then 10 years later, after many folks felt the two other stadiums got forced upon them, it was going to be a hard sell to get people on board to build the Sonics a new arena. NBA was not happy.

Plus the fact that Ackerley and company chose a configuration to discourage the idea of sharing it with the NHL and the whole thing was just one calamity after another. Schultz couldn't get what he wanted, Stern was snubbed and away we go. Though many knew the endgame, Bennett was presented as willing to work with the locals prior to giving up on the region. It wasn't until after the fact that the Ballmers of the world tried to rally late. Relocation had already been approved before the rallying cry was on from what I remember.

I doubt Stern would have been an ally to stop relocation like he was with Sactown because our politicians didn't give him reason to. Bennett wasn't credible and was scorned here prior to filing for relocation but the league could see it was poisonous by the time they allowed him out. Of course he helped along the fight but that is for another day.

Yep, the governor, city council, mayor and state legislature all helped make it a layup to get the team out of town. They all can take a leap but most are gone except for a few major dickheads.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Thu May 16, 2013 12:43 pm
  • Stern and Bennett are good friends. Bennett came to the leagues aid by hosting the NO Hornets after Katrina

Stern is a human being (believe it or not) when a good friend of yours asks you for a favor you don't say no, especially when you make the favor at the cost of an enemy (seattle gov).

Clay Bennett was 100% guaranteed the next team available, if Schultz didn't sell it could have been SAC or MIL or NO

This is all Howard Schultz fault, no one on this forum should ever be caught drinking that Starbucks shit. go look at some boobies at a coffee stand. DO NOT SUPPORT SCHULTZ.
    Last edited by TheRealDTM on Thu May 16, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 1:09 pm
  • TheRealDTM wrote:Stern and Bennett are good friends. Bennett came to the leagues aid by hosting the NO Hornets after Katrina

Stern is a human being (believe it or not) when a good friend of yours asks you for a favor you don't say no, especially when you make the favor at the cost of an enemy (seattle gov).

Clay Bennett was 100% guaranteed the next team available, if Schultz didn't sell it could have been SAC or MIL or NO

This is all Howard Schultz fault, no one on this forum should ever be caught drinking that Starbucks shit. Go to Seattle's best or go look at some boobies at a coffee stand. DO NOT SUPPORT SCHULTZ.

Doesn't Starsux own Seattle's Best? Sometimes I get confused. Either way your point is spot on!
    Uppercase
    NET Practice Squad

Thu May 16, 2013 1:14 pm
  • Uppercase wrote:Doesn't Starsux own Seattle's Best? Sometimes I get confused. Either way your point is spot on!

yes
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 1:29 pm
  • Coffees gross anyway, and yes we blame everyone!

Everyone can be lined up in the line, screw them all, may they starve to death instead of those poor kids in Africa.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu May 16, 2013 1:29 pm
  • I think we're screwed, guys. I'll just never pay attention to the NBA ever again.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Thu May 16, 2013 1:30 pm

Oh, there's plenty of hate for the local and state guys that were involved, but Let's not even pretend the situations were similar.
    The Kings' struggles, the Maloofs' attempts to move, the need for a new arena and the inability of both sides to work out an arena plan have been out in the open for YEARS.
    With the Sonics, 95% of the people never even knew there were issues until the sale to Bennett was announced out of the blue. (In fact, most of the team employees and minority owners didn't even find out until the actual press conference). The NBA's attitude that Seattle had built for the 'Hawks & M's and then shafted the Sonics was BS - the fact was the Sonics got their new building FIRST. Key Arena was only 10 old, the Sonics still had a long-term lease and there was still $40-$50M left for the team to pay off for construction. The NBA & Stern had praised the building as a model facility for other teams to follow.
    Now, I'm not claiming Key Arena was perfect - it had legitimate problems (and the whole story of how the Key was a compromise b/c Ackerly couldn't build his planned 20K seat arena in SoDo adds an extra-depressing element to it). But the majority of The Key's issues were the NBA's own fault. They got their asses handed to them in the CBA/player lockout of the early 00's and suddenly their expenses sky-rocketed. Schultz never showed his books to prove he was losing $$ ... his Chief complaint seemed to be he wasn't making as much $ as everyone else.
    Schultz & Stern went to Olympia ONCE. They walked into a climate where Boeing was threatening to leave the area, there was a massive battle going on about transit funding and replacing the viaduct, the State was in a Budget crisis and the national economy was starting to tank. They went in dicks-swinging and expected to cut to the front of the line. They also started off demanding the moon. Schultz never committed to front any of his own money, they wanted access to the taxes that had been specifically passed just for Qwest Field, and they wanted massive debt forgiveness.
    And Olympia never told them "NO" - they instead told them that it sounded like an in-house problem and to at least put together a plan that included SOME of their own money. It's that seemingly reasonable response that made Stern so butt-hurt and things only escalated from there. The next move was the sale to Bennett and his demands for a 100% publicly funded $500M, which was obviously a con from the start.
    Yeah, our leaders made mistakes, but fact is Stern was on the warpath from the beginning.
    I don't know why Stern has his hatred-boner for us, but it's obviously existed even BEFORE the OKC heist. He started off playing hardball with our governments over a team that was still locked into a lease on a serviceable arena and few people had reason to believe was in trouble. He then acted shocked when everyone refused to kiss his ring.
    I'm sick of chasing after my dreams. I'm just going to find out where they're headed, and catch up with them later.
    - Mitch Hedberg
    vedthree
    * NET Sage *

Thu May 16, 2013 1:32 pm
  • But I really like saying "Venti". It makes me feel like I'm in a cafe in Milan. Much better than going to Tim Hortons and ordering a "double double" so I can feel like I'm at a curling rink in Hamilton.

PS. Well said Ved.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Thu May 16, 2013 1:39 pm
  • Words can't describe how guilty i feel for watching basically every playoff game so far
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 2:02 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:Coffees gross anyway

:shock: You take that back!
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 2:03 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:Coffees gross anyway, and yes we blame everyone!

Everyone can be lined up in the line, screw them all, may they starve to death instead of those poor kids in Africa.

Agreed, coffee is disgusting, I'm more of a hot chocolate man myself.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Thu May 16, 2013 2:10 pm
  • vedthree wrote:I don't know why Stern has his hatred-boner for us,.

I think this is my new favorite word. Thank you for that, I absolutely needed a laugh. Unfortunately, I don't see Seattle getting a team until Stern is 6 feet under. Once he's dead and gone and not wrapping his tentacles around everything to avoid Seattle, I see talks opening up again. Unfortunately for then, the market may have already been burned. Oh wells, I still have my memories.

Also, I can only stand coffee is a half a pound of sugar is bored into it. Have way to sweet of a tooth for me to be accepting of it.
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

Thu May 16, 2013 2:24 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:Coffees gross anyway, and yes we blame everyone!

Agreed, coffee is disgusting, I'm more of a hot chocolate man myself.

Hot chocolate? :roll: Clearly you are 11 years old and a girl. ;)
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Thu May 16, 2013 2:30 pm
  • Did anyone happen to catch what the Around the Horn guys had to say about Stern's OKC comments? Saw it at the bar and the sound was off...
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:44 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information