Favre's #4 to be retired - finally.

taco40

Reaction score
Favre's Site copies ESPN story.

What a great player who was fun to watch having so much fun playing. He made so many so much better.
Wonder how many times they'll have to retire his number?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I had to live in rural Wisconsin during the 90s as a Seahawks fan, and I will NEVER like Favre simply due to the Packers fans I had to be around and their worship of him and avoidance at putting any blame on him for anything.

Laloosh

Reaction score
When they hang the jersey will it have a dik pick rather than a number on it?

huskylawyer

Reaction score
Not a Favre fan. A good player no doubt, but his lone Super Bowl win masked the fact that his bad decisions cos his teams a ton of games. And though I don't like playing morality police, the guy was a boorish philanderer and I suspect if a women in Wisconsin had a baby during the time Favre was in GB, there is a 25% chance it is his kid.

The "he plays for the love of the game" and the non-stop pictures of his wife in the stands while the announcers say, "what a great couple!" while Favre was hanging out with Chmura and bedding anything that moved was grating as well.

I can now watch MNF when Green Bay plays. When Favre was there, I'd mute the game because I couldn't stand the jock sniffing.

PackerBacker19

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":347up7t2 said:
People often forget what a great player he was... despite his arrogance.

Somewhere in the midst of all of that I lost total respect for the Green Bay fan base. Talk about fickle... they acted as if it was actually a viable request that he just "retire" and stop his career and never play football again so the new guy could take over.

Could you imagine Seattle fans being pissed at Matt Hasselback for the way he fought for himself and tried to stay in the final few years, or the Seahawks front office refusing to let him go to whatever team he wanted to go to? Granted he was never a superstar like Brett, but we still understood that he felt he had some football left and wanted to pursue it.

That trade to the Jets was a real FU by the front office.

I am surprised that all of this mended so quickly. The cheeseheads really don't deserve it.

:2: If I may inject the opinion of a Packers fan into this thread.
Packers fans didn't have a problem with Favre continuing his career. However, going to the Vikings was pretty bad. Think if Russell Wilson was considered the best qb in history, and then he went to the 49ers. You guys might be a little upset.Also, when Favre was traded to the Jets the Packers front office owed him nothing. He retired, and then wanted back after Rodgers and Brohm were drafted. The qb roster was filled. The Packers then offered him the chance to compete for his job. He wanted out. He didn't want to compete for it. The real "FU" was Favre's constant inability to make up his mind every year. It was bad for the Packers and Rodgers. I also am a Packers fan, and I will say that with all teams fans they can get out of hand at times. However, Packers fans do have a rep. for not being that bad. They don't put undercover police officers at Packers games like..........the :49ersmall: ......and........

Just my opinion on the matter.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
PackerBacker19":20g7p2v8 said:
They don't put undercover police officers at Packers games like..........the :49ersmall: ......and........
Your stadium is also a decrepit building in a town too small to even truly be called a city in the middle of friggin' nowhere, a two-hour drive north of Milwaukee with no traffic.

Just sayin', that plays a role in a variety of things.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
RolandDeschain":r7ib155o said:
PackerBacker19":r7ib155o said:
They don't put undercover police officers at Packers games like..........the :49ersmall: ......and........
Your stadium is also a decrepit building in a town too small to even truly be called a city in the middle of friggin' nowhere, a two-hour drive north of Milwaukee with no traffic.

Just sayin', that plays a role in a variety of things.

Damn, son.

Favre thinking he could just decide to retire and then un-retire at a whim when the Packers had Aaron Rodgers waiting in the wings was just silly. I'm glad Ron Wolf sent his ass packing. I can't stand Brett Favre, and I probably would still be super-irritated at him if I rooted for the Pack (but not too irritated since Rodgers got us another ring and Favre and the Vikings bombed out painfully to the Saints).

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Favre was a pill-popping sex hound who threw his teammates under the bus during their contract negotiations with the team. I really can't stand that dude.

I vaguely remember a story like that, Z_Man, and wouldn't be surprised to find out that it was true.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
The thing I'll always remember about Favre is that the sexting scandal happened when his wife had cancer.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":3a3srgod said:
Yea he waffled, still... the Jets with mangina as coach? At the time, cruel and unusual punishment.

On a side note, wasn't there an incident back in the Green Bay glory days (2x SB era) where Favre's wife melted down threw all his crap in the driveway in front of the entire neighborhood and the team brass had to come out and calm her down and sweep it under the carpet? That was a heck of a PR job. I wonder if Schneider was involved.

Tiger Woods prolly wished he had the Packer's front office watching his back. ;)

Not hard when the real media is two hours away, you have plenty of time to cover something like that up.

Marvin49

Reaction score
PackerBacker19":2umwz6wo said:
The_Z_Man":2umwz6wo said:

Somewhere in the midst of all of that I lost total respect for the Green Bay fan base. Talk about fickle... they acted as if it was actually a viable request that he just "retire" and stop his career and never play football again so the new guy could take over.

Could you imagine Seattle fans being pissed at Matt Hasselback for the way he fought for himself and tried to stay in the final few years, or the Seahawks front office refusing to let him go to whatever team he wanted to go to? Granted he was never a superstar like Brett, but we still understood that he felt he had some football left and wanted to pursue it.

I am surprised that all of this mended so quickly. The cheeseheads really don't deserve it.

Packers fans didn't have a problem with Favre continuing his career. However, going to the Vikings was pretty bad. Think if Russell Wilson was considered the best qb in history, and then he went to the 49ers. You guys might be a little upset.Also, when Favre was traded to the Jets the Packers front office owed him nothing. He retired, and then wanted back after Rodgers and Brohm were drafted. The qb roster was filled. The Packers then offered him the chance to compete for his job. He wanted out. He didn't want to compete for it. The real "FU" was Favre's constant inability to make up his mind every year. It was bad for the Packers and Rodgers. I also am a Packers fan, and I will say that with all teams fans they can get out of hand at times. However, Packers fans do have a rep. for not being that bad. They don't put undercover police officers at Packers games like..........the :49ersmall: ......and........

No, but the Packers could have used some Police ON the field against the 49ers the past two years.

Sorry man...too easy. :)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":2bhcgpvx said:
No, but the Packers could have used some Police ON the field against the 49ers the past two years.

You might want to check the total number of combined points you beat the Packers by in the two games you played against them last year. Hint: It isn't impressive. (Hint #2, it's a total of 9 points, and if the Packers DBs had been capable of catching passes thrown right at them, you wouldn't have made it to the NFCCG.)

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":36me9kgq said:
Marvin49":36me9kgq said:

You might want to check the total number of combined points you beat the Packers by in the two games you played against them last year. Hint: It isn't impressive. (Hint #2, it's a total of 9 points, and if the Packers DBs had been capable of catching passes thrown right at them, you wouldn't have made it to the NFCCG.)

Oh come on Roland....this ain't the NCAA.

Packers have opened and ended both of the last two seasons with losses to SF. They did if with Kap rushing for 181 yards. They did it with Kap passing for 400 plus yards. They did it in GB in September, SF in January, SF in September and FRIGID GB in January.

Essentially they've beaten them in just about every scenario. Ya gotta give me this one. LOL. 4 straight games in 2 seasons.

...and if you wanna play the "if" game....if the refs call the obvious hold that prevented a sack of Rodgers (I mean McDonald had Rodgers in his hands and the guy grabbed him around the neck to pull him off...lol) and gave them effectively a free TD, the game isn't even close.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin defending the close wins the 49ers have gotten over the Packers recently?

[youtube]qw-yn2RLcu0[/youtube]

Throwdown

Reaction score
PackerBacker19":2dv8nzi8 said:
The_Z_Man":2dv8nzi8 said:

Maybe Packer fans are sissies like their QB?

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":28r82ary said:
RolandDeschain":28r82ary said:
Marvin49":28r82ary said:

Packers have opened and ended both of the last two seasons with losses to SF. They did if with Kap rushing for 181 yards. They did it with Kap passing for 400 plus yards. They did it in GB in September, SF in January, SF in September and FRIGID GB in January.

Essentially they've beaten them in just about every scenario. Ya gotta give me this one. LOL. 4 straight games in 2 seasons.

...and if you wanna play the "if" game....if the refs call the obvious hold that prevented a sack of Rodgers (I mean McDonald had Rodgers in his hands and the guy grabbed him around the neck to pull him off...lol) and gave them effectively a free TD, the game isn't even close.

Someone drank their :179422: this morning.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":15t9mb8c said:
Marvin49":15t9mb8c said:
RolandDeschain":15t9mb8c said:
Marvin49":15t9mb8c said:

Someone drank their :179422: this morning.

Wow.

Seriously?

Beating a playoff team 4 straight times in 2 years is NOT impressive? WOW.

OK.

Moving on.