Second Best Team

HawkGA

Reaction score
I read somewhere yesterday that Sherman said the Broncos were not the second best team in the NFL, the 49ers. I think that is probably true. That said, let's say they actually played a game to see who was #2. How do you see it going down?

I think one of the reasons the Super Bowl was a blowout is that the Seahawks matched up very well with the Broncos. They were able to hit them in the mouth in a way no other team was. Could the 9ers have done the same thing? I see the 9ers getting a good rush on Peyton but I don't see their corners being as dominate, so the Bronco offense would have been able to click at least a little better. I think the Bronco defense did okay in the early goings of the game but lost heart and that's when the Hawks really dominated. If the offense had stayed in the game better, I think the defense would have done better. That said, I think Kaep might have run all over them.

So, I think the 9ers would have won, but that it would have been close. Say, 24-17. Any other predictions on something we'll never know the answer to?

Oh, and by way of comparison, my prediction for the Super Bowl was Seattle in the 30s and Denver in the high teens.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I said to the Niner fans here at work, before we played them that the winner would be Super Bowl Champs. I'm more sure of that fact today more than I was then. The Niners would have had a tougher time, but would have still come out on top

253hawk

Reaction score
Second best team, just like last year. And pretty much the year before that.

Hard to say if they'd have had any success against Denver without Bowman and Iupati.

Marvin49

Reaction score
253hawk":706conxg said:

Hard to say if they'd have had any success against Denver without Bowman and Iupati.

...and possibly Staley and Gore.

Tough to say. Denver was a paper tiger. They got a rude awakening to NFC West football on Sunday. They couldn't hang with that.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Probably a strong #2 for San Fran, Kaep running would of probably gashed that Bronco D badly.

I agree that Peyton would have an easier time finding open WR but they'd probably still get some interceptions on them. (This is all assuming 49ers had Bowman still and Broncos still had Miller too) I don't think Denver could run against that Defense either.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Niners would have destroyed Denver. Give Kaepernick two of those gazelle runs and it may be over. Carolina probably as well, but would have been a much closer game.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think SF wins on a last second FG vs the Donks, and it pains me to say that as I HATE that team, coach, and a large majority of that fanbase!

Joey13091

Reaction score
Marvin49":2cp1x5wl said:
253hawk":2cp1x5wl said:

...and possibly Staley and Gore.

Tough to say. Denver was a paper tiger. They got a rude awakening to NFC West football on Sunday. They couldn't hang with that.

Not tough to say at all.

Even without those players the 9ers would have destroyed the broncos.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
After watching the AFCCG and the NFCCG back to back I didn't see how either AFC team could even beat the Niners, let alone the Hawks. I was thinking about a full strength Niners team, though. No Bowman hurts that D quite a bit, and there wouldn't have been any 12-power to bite into Pey-Pey's shenanigans. More likely that Denver vs. depleted San Fran produces the Super Bowl that everybody outside of Seattle wanted.

There is only one team in football capable of delivering the beatdown we witnessed on Sunday, and they don't play their home games in Santa Clara.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I wonder if the 9ers have started a new trend. Beat the 9ers in the plays off and you'll win the Superbowl. Worked out well for the Giants, Ravens and Seahawks!

Happy

Reaction score
I think the niners woulda whupped their ass.

The broncos team I saw on sunday just didn't have the athletes to defeat either nfc west team. They didn't have the depth to overcome the injuries that accrued during the season.

Would it have been the beatdown on the magnitude of what the seahawls did? No. That was a defense that put in a performance for the ages.

Vetamur

Reaction score
I dont think the Broncos were even third. I think Carolina would have beat Denver as well. Possibly Green Bay as well.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":155wg22r said:
After watching the AFCCG and the NFCCG back to back I didn't see how either AFC team could even beat the Niners, let alone the Hawks.

I got that same distinct impression. I went back to watch the AFCCG after we won our game and was shocked at how slow everything looked.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Percy Harvin's jet sweeps tell me that Kaepernick would have had about 200 yards rushing off the edge. I don't think they'd get the same number of turnovers, but the Denver would certainly be battered and bruised and broken by the end of the game.

OrFan

Reaction score
I would probably rank Denver at about number 5 or maybe 6.

Seattle
SF
Carolina
Arizona
Toss up between Denver and NO.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I just watched both championship games on Rewind, and the big thing is the lack of speed in the front seven/pass rush. Brady and Manning were firing from pretty clean pockets. Even when Brady was sacked, it was because he was slow and unable to avoid the pressure. Wilson/Kaepernick/Newton are going to get outside the pocket on Ayers or whoever is trying to make a sack.

Also, the defenses in the NFC are so much speedier AND hit harder. It's just not a contest.

I think SF beats Denver, Carolina beats Denver, NO probably beats Denver, and ARZ at least makes it a game. The problem for SF is that their secondary is pretty bad and Bowman was missing, but they still have that backup (Skuta) that can ball a little in his place. NO can blitz and play pass D, so they would be fine. Carolina has bad corners, but their LBs would help shore up the short passing game and they can get after the QB. ARZ has the best secondary out of all those other four teams and has a really quick front seven; I think if Carson Palmer wasn't totally terrible, they would probably outscore Denver too.

What I'm saying is that the NFC is light-years better than the AFC at this point in time.

Latest posts