Why Pete Carroll didn't allow SF Score a TD

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
That's a pretty good reason.

Also YOU NEVER LET THE OTHER TEAM SCORE A TOUCHDOWN. At least not intentionally. Unless you're weak and/or stupid.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
It was from 22 yards and it took 2 minutes off the clock. I'm not as convinced it was the right decision as those above me.

But we move on.

Polaris

Reaction score
You are also assuming that San Fran would take the free score. San Fran can crunch the numbers too.

BASF

Reaction score
Polaris":8seojsfd said:
You are also assuming that San Fran would take the free score. San Fran can crunch the numbers too.

This. Gore went down intentionally. Harbaugh is a jackass but he is a smart jackass. None of his players would have crossed the goal line after Gore showed the smarts (for a Hurricane, who the hell knew it was possible) to go down in the heat of the moment.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
I would never let the other team score . Tony Romo botched snap is a good example

I don't understand why Gore still wasn't ruled out of bounds. Yea he fell inbounds but then proceeded to roll out of bounds before anyone touched him ?

If anyone can explain that too me it would be great

PS - I don't think it changed the outcome nor Do I think us losing by 2 Pts was a bad thing .

BWRyan

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":17ajdsnh said:
That's a pretty good reason.

Also YOU NEVER LET THE OTHER TEAM SCORE A TOUCHDOWN. At least not intentionally. Unless you're weak and/or stupid.

I guess you're calling Mike Holmgren weak and/or stupid? Because on Monday on KJR, he said he made this exact decision in the SB vs. the Broncos. And I believe he implied he would have done the same thing if he was coaching the Hawks on Sunday.

How often are FG's blocked? How often do teams march down the field and score in less than 2 minutes? Which one happens more frequently? (Hint: the Seahawks have done an amazing job at the end of the 1st half this year.)

BWRyan

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3tnna1rg said:
Romo Fumble is THE best example of it.

That's not the same situation as Sunday. With Romo fumble, even if they'd kicked it through, we would've had 1:30 to get that FG back. On Sunday, we had 30 some seconds. HUGE difference.

drdiags

Reaction score
Jim Harbaugh is quoted as saying he would have scored if the Seahawks allowed the TD. I wouldn't have allowed the TD either. The strategy works if someone, anyone holds the right side and prevents a 3rd and 7 QB sweep from converting. Jeremy Lane almost produce a spectacular play with his attempt to knock the ball out of Kaep's grip. Just wasn't in the cards.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":p71gsv7l said:
I would never let the other team score . Tony Romo botched snap is a good example

I don't understand why Gore still wasn't ruled out of bounds. Yea he fell inbounds but then proceeded to roll out of bounds before anyone touched him ?

If anyone can explain that too me it would be great

PS - I don't think it changed the outcome nor Do I think us losing by 2 Pts was a bad thing .

The moment a player goes to the ground intentionally (i.e., quarterback slide), he is immediately considered "downed" at that point. In Gore's case, he never reached OB. Heads up play by him!

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Yeah the 49ers would have knelt at the 1 yard line.

You guys are just assuming they would score, and that is foolish. The 49ers are not stupid.

chawx

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3r6qwnsq said:
Yeah the 49ers would have knelt at the 1 yard line.

You guys are just assuming they would score, and that is foolish. The 49ers are not stupid.

So, you tell the guys, don't tackle him, just rip/punch at the football...if he takes a knee at the 1 yard line, well... that's the same exact thing as what ended up happening, they kick a FG and leave us with 26 seconds. I don't see what the loss is by letting them try and score?

But on the other hand, Big Red can block those kicks too...

I'm just glad I don't make millions of dollars to have to be the one to make that call. Wait... I'll take the million$

jlwaters1

Reaction score
None of this matters if we just stop Kaep from running for a first down on 3rd and 7, that was the play of the game. Much bigger than Gore's 50+ yard run. You stop them there. You have over 2 minutes to get a FG. It's too bad the defense didn't come through. that was the same type of play Alex Smith used against the Saints IIRC in 2011 (he ran for a TD) on their way to the NFC title game.

chawx

Reaction score
Honestly, what we should have done, was have someone push Big Red, or try and jump over players, or try to guess the snap count on the edge... anything to block that kick (legal or not). Then, you're putting it on the refs to make that call of Offsides or illegal pushing or whatever they called earlier in the year on that Patriots-Jets game — worst case scenario, you run 3-4 useless seconds off the clock and they re-kick with the image of it getting blocked in their heads—best case scenario, they don't make the call and you block the kick and win the game.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
jlwaters1":wew8cr8l said:
None of this matters if we just stop Kaep from running for a first down on 3rd and 7, that was the play of the game. Much bigger than Gore's 50+ yard run. You stop them there. You have over 2 minutes to get a FG. It's too bad the defense didn't come through. that was the same type of play Alex Smith used against the Saints IIRC in 2011 (he ran for a TD) on their way to the NFC title game.

Exactly. And it was even more frustrating because the play took so long to develop. Very disappointing that none of our guys could get off their blocks in all that time to get to Kaepernick.

Axx

Reaction score
Big okung blocked the field goal

jdblack

Reaction score
chawx":3fviohzc said:
Honestly, what we should have done, was have someone push Big Red, or try and jump over players, or try to guess the snap count on the edge... anything to block that kick (legal or not). Then, you're putting it on the refs to make that call of Offsides or illegal pushing or whatever they called earlier in the year on that Patriots-Jets game — worst case scenario, you run 3-4 useless seconds off the clock and they re-kick with the image of it getting blocked in their heads—best case scenario, they don't make the call and you block the kick and win the game.

That's what we did last year when Red Bryant blocked the FG and Sherman returned it for a TD. He got a big push from behind him.

Unfortunately a new rule implemented at the beginning over the year makes that play much harder to do now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... ct-linemen

For my part, it is a no-brainer that we should have let them score a TD after Kaepernick's first down run. There is obviously a chance that we win otherwise, but you have to play the odds, and the odds heavily favor letting them score. It's lame to point out a bunch of singular examples of ways we can win without letting them score a TD, and act as if that settles the matter. You have to play the odds if you want the best odds.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Let's also not forget that by allowing SF to run more running plays, it increases the chances that they will fumble or we will force a fumble. Or that maybe they will get a penalty and push them back to a lower percentage field goal...remember no FG = a win for us. You can't just look at the odds of scoring a TD with over a minute left vs getting a field goal with less than 30 seconds, because there's more to it than that.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
BASF":2vlb9ekm said:
This. Gore went down intentionally.

Yep. Gore is a smart player. (yet another reason the Wonderlic is meaningless: Gore is very, very smart on the field but according to the Wonderlic he's basically developmentally disabled).

The problem with letting a team score a TD rather than milking clock and taking the field goal is that a smart team will not score and let the clock rundown more before then taking the score. It ends up being the difference between having 20 seconds to win with a field and having 45 seconds or so to need a TD to win.