NFL Network Top 10 Defenses of ALL TIME

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
That sounds pretty fair. Who were the the others beyond the '85 Bears, '70's Steelers? The Vikings or Los Angeles Rams or maybe the Chiefs or Raiders I assume?

Lxx

Reaction score
shutting down the "BEST OFFENSE OF ALL TIME" only deserves #5?
Atleast #3 plz

Hawks46

Reaction score
If we lead the league in yardage, takeaways, INT's, and points allowed again this year, we'll probably move up to top 3. Analysts understand that they keep changing rules to benefit offenses, yet this defense is thriving.

OP
OP
ZorntoLargent

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1mqr2xyy said:
That sounds pretty fair. Who were the the others beyond the '85 Bears, '70's Steelers? The Vikings or Los Angeles Rams or maybe the Chiefs or Raiders I assume?
HA, I turned the channel once they showed us. LOL
They beat some great defenses.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3l6k5lfi said:

I would assume the ravens and possibly buccaneers are up there

OP
OP
ZorntoLargent

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1f8o4534 said:
Link?
It was a TV show, and the only evidence I see after googling it, was a link to watch it (replay) if you have NFL RedZone.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
akscoundrel":xcvh6ng3 said:
MizzouHawkGal":xcvh6ng3 said:

They were ahead of both the bucs and ravens teams

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Lxx":18qu651t said:
Atleast #3 plz
That's pretty messed up, and there's no real excuse for it either.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
jlwaters1":2qd4piae said:
akscoundrel":2qd4piae said:
MizzouHawkGal":2qd4piae said:

They were ahead of both the bucs and ravens teams

Curious on where they had the ravens ranked

idahawks

Reaction score
#1 was the 70's steelers
#2 was the 85 bears
#3 was 60's packers
#4 was the 70's chiefs
#5 was the Hawks

We were the highest ranking team since the salary cap. I turned it on during the hawks and didn't see 10 through 6.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
It's going to be tough sledding to try to crack the top 5 in the current NFL environment.

It's not about longevity either. The '85 Bears was somewhat of a flash in the pan. They were good for a decent 3 year stretch, but once that defense was figured out, it became a dinosaur of sorts. Evolutionary for it's time but the concept didn't survive offensive evolution.

Today's rules applied to those teams would have produced a wildly different result. Seattle was the #1 rated defense in scoring allowed two years running now. So there is some level of continuity in our defensive dominance. But our ppg allowed pales compared to some of the great teams who didn't have to operate in the modern NFL. If the Bears defense in it's prime were to be resurrected for Chicago this year -- they'd get shredded. The quick passing attacks of today would absolutely destroy that defense just as it did in the late 80's when the 46 defense was abandoned to ineffectiveness.

Unfortunately, those distinctions won't matter in this discussion even going forward. So defenses going forward are always going to be operating under an infinitely more difficult standard. The rules as applied now are specifically designed to not allow that kind of defensive dominance.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Lxx":20uflmap said:
Atleast #3 plz

Come on, now. If they were saying "Top 10 Single-Game Defensive Team Performances", then yeah, I could see that argument.

But this is also a team that allowed the Bucs to build a 21 point lead on them and allowed the Rams and Bucs to run all over them in the regular season.

The fact that they were placed over the 2000 Ravens and 2002 Bucs is pretty high praise already, and I would bet you could find plenty of non-Seahawks fans who would argue against those placements. Those Ravens had 4 shutouts and 7 other games in the regular season where they held the opponent to 10 points or less. They allowed a grand total of 23 points in their 4 postseason games. The 2002 Bucs were nearly as good, and while they didn't hold their opponent in the SB to fewer points, they did score 21 points on defense.

Seriously, being ranked at #5 in all-time defensive teams isn't a sign of disrespect or east coast bias or anything else. It's MORE than fair and a serious testament to the defense that Carroll has put together and the talent and dedication of our players.

Happy

Reaction score
idahawks":1dytwwyo said:
#1 was the 70's steelers
#2 was the 85 bears
#3 was 60's packers
#4 was the 70's chiefs
#5 was the Hawks

We were the highest ranking team since the salary cap. I turned it on during the hawks and didn't see 10 through 6.

As time goes by and perspective is gained, I think the 2013 Seahawks defense will eventually move up to take that #2 spot. Kinda hard to rank them above the steel curtain though, painful as it is to put that down in writing.