MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
idahawks":221b6aah said:
#1 was the 70's steelers
#2 was the 85 bears
#3 was 60's packers
#4 was the 70's chiefs
#5 was the Hawks

We were the highest ranking team since the salary cap. I turned it on during the hawks and didn't see 10 through 6.
That is more than fair I would have expected 2-3 others to have been before us beyond what already is.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Being ahead of the Bucs and Ravens is pretty good. If the Hawks have another dominant year, they will climb higher (like you guys said) just because people will recognize just how good they are over a longer period of time.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":33o3gc45 said:
idahawks":33o3gc45 said:
#1 was the 70's steelers
#2 was the 85 bears
#3 was 60's packers
#4 was the 70's chiefs
#5 was the Hawks

We were the highest ranking team since the salary cap. I turned it on during the hawks and didn't see 10 through 6.
That is more than fair I would have expected 2-3 others to have been before us beyond what already is.

#10 - Vikings Purple People Eaters
#7 Buccaneers Sapp era (I believe)

Others I don't remeber the exact order:
Dallas Dooms Day Defense
Ravens 2000s RayRay era
I think Giants LT era

Again, this shows rankings seemed to be based heavily on defenses that had legendary multi-year domination rather than a stand-out single season statistical ranking.... which is even more impressive for the Hawks showing up at #5.

idahawks

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":1f3x2xq8 said:
MizzouHawkGal":1f3x2xq8 said:
idahawks":1f3x2xq8 said:
#1 was the 70's steelers
#2 was the 85 bears
#3 was 60's packers
#4 was the 70's chiefs
#5 was the Hawks

#10 - Vikings Purple People Eaters
#7 Buccaneers Sapp era (I believe)

Others I don't remeber the exact order:
Dallas Dooms Day Defense
Ravens 2000s RayRay era
I think Giants LT era

Again, this shows rankings seemed to be based heavily on defenses that had legendary multi-year domination rather than a stand-out single season statistical ranking.... which is even more impressive for the Hawks showing up at #5.

I thought they listed the purple people eaters as one of the "Best of the Rest"

Escamillo

Reaction score
Only #5???? So the disrespect continues!! Guess we'll just have to do even better this year to shut up the doubters. haha

BTW, remember a couple years ago, going into the 2012 season there was a website doing a tournament/poll to determine the best NFL defense? And the fan voting ultimately came down to the Seahawks vs the Steelers, and the Seahawks won? Then the website poo-poo'ed it, saying that Seahawks fans flooded the voting (which maybe they did lol), but that the Seahawks D didn't deserve to win and wasn't in the same league as the Steelers? That year, Seattle went on to lead the league in best D in points allowed, while the Steelers D fell from the upper echelon, then the next year Seatte's D becomes the first to lead the league in fewest points, fewest yards, and most takeaways, since the 85 Bears; not to mention being comparable with the 85 Bears in fewest points allowed compared to league average (IIRC, 85 Bears, 2000 Ravens, and 2013 Seahawks all allowed 9 to 10 fewer points per game than the league average in those respective years). I've wondered what the talking heads of that site have had to say about that. lol

HawkWow

Reaction score
Too late, lol. I was about to post I hope this ends all the "no respect" talk.

I agree with Happy. Over time, I think we will climb and especially if we kill it again this year (defensively). And unless mistaken, I recall seeing stats that proved us better than that awesome Bears team. Frankly, I'm just glad we are mentioned in the same sentence. Sure we shut down the best O in NFL history, but believe me, that 85 team would have shut Peyton down as well. You can't really use that as an accurate gauge, imo.

I'm stoked with the 5 spot. For now.

Latest posts