Paul Richardson

kearly

Reaction score
What do you guys think of the pick so far?

To me, Richardson definitely looks like the real deal when he's running comeback routes, and then he looks like a rookie Ricardo Lockette on deep targets. One thing I feel pretty sure of is that Richardson looks "bust proof" to me, although that might mean putting Richardson in a position where he'd be targeted deep as rarely as possible in the near future. I sort of like the pick because when he does catch the ball, he looks really good doing it.

The part that disappoints me has really nothing to do with Richardson's performance. Richardson was hyped as a playmaker. Some people compared him to DeSean Jackson, and there was talk of getting Richardson on the field on punt returns and on gimmick run plays like Tate and Harvin. But so far he's yet to field a punt in preseason, yet to handle an end around, and yet to be featured in a bubble-screen. I've heard nothing from various practice accounts to indicate that his usage in practice has been dramatically different than it has been in games. Basically, Richardson has looked like a regular receiver out there, not a swiss-army knife.

I was hoping that if Harvin missed time this year, Richardson would be able to replace some of that fear factor. But without being a deep threat, and without getting any usage on versatility plays, my sense so far is that PC/JS do not view Richardson as a Percy Harvin type player who will stretch a defense, but as perhaps a speedy possession receiver like Randall Cobb.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
He looks like a player who they know can go deep but who needs more work on other routes - to me.

Smellyman

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2jaaur8u said:
He looks like a rookie WR a little overwhelmed with the play book so far. It will take him some time to settle in.

yeah, he is just learning the O and getting comfrotable, no need to throw the kitchen sink at him as well.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think he's going to be legit, but will have to play behind Hatvin, Baldwin and Kearse to start. Looks far more natural and fluid as a receiver than Chris Harper last year and even Golden Tate when he started. On go routes, I think it's just a matter of getting the chemistry right. Otherwise, looks like he can run all the routes cleanly.

I never expected him to be a Harvin type. Nothing on his reel really suggested end-arounds or bubble screens were a big part of his game. That's okay, though. Would like this team to have at least one conventional-ish WR with home run potential.

drrew

Reaction score
Paul Richardson as a PR was a fallacy from the start. He didn't do it in high school (George Farmer and Marqise Lee returned kicks for Junipero Serra). He didn't do it in college (4 total returns in his career, all in 2011, 3 of which were fair catches). There was no reason to expect he'd do it in the NFL.

He's may be the best 4th WR in the league this season and barring injury, I think he relegates Percy or ADB to full time slot duty next season.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
suppaball":1hshh3rw said:
Saving it for regular season yo!

I think it's more of a saving him for the regular season.

He's a lot like Harvin, everyone else looks slow motion compared to him. On the go route he missed Thursday, it was simply an underthrown ball. Hitting him in stride is going to be tough because he's on a different level than the likes of ADB, Kearse, anyone on the defense.

Didn't see as many bubble screen plays for him in his college tape. Lots of long touchdowns. Hence the DJack comparison. He's a bit slighter built than Harvin so maybe that's the reason for the lack of bubble screens.

I'm excited about this kid. Like, trying to decide when to pull the trigger on a jersey excited.

Sept. 4 can't get here fast enough.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I never looked at Richardson as a DeSean Jackson particularly because I follow the RSP and The Audible and Matt Waldman has been one Richardson's biggest fans since the beginning of the draft process. Richardson doesn't have that elusiveness or quickness that Jackson or Harvin seem to have but I think Richardson is just a natural receiver and I think he'll factor in big the more years into his career. The comparison Matt Waldman makes is Marvin Harrison which I can see more.

Personally I like what I've seen from Richardson, though I'd like to see him on the field a little bit more in preseason just to start building that chemistry with Russell. I didn't expect much from Richardson this year but I think as he continues to work on his routes and timing, (and I think ADB is the perfect mentor for him) I think we'll see him really flourish and develop.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I've liked what little we've seen of him so far. Been wondering why we haven't seen more of him and his apparently eye popping speed but the whole gameplan hasn't been rolled out yet.

As ever time will tell but he's making the team and may just be eased into things. Am interested in seeing him flash up the afterburners and blow the doors off some DB who thinks his speed doesn't need to be respected.

A friend who is close to one of the FO guys in the sales dept says the team is excited by his speed which when carefully added to the mix will make opposing DC's have nightmares . Russell , Marshawn, Percy, ADB, Miller, Willson, Kearse, Turbin, Michael, Lockette, and ??? look to possibly be at the beginning of a good year. Hopefully no injuries and playing in February may happen again.

A looking to see more from Richardson, wouldn't mind seeing some of Norwood too. The depth at the offensive 'skill' positions has significantly deepened since PN'J arrived.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Would you feel different if he would have caught both of his deep targets and be instead of hyping that ability?

Deep Balls are very low percentage plays, I mean they aren't even 50-50, plus he hasn't got much opportunity to display that as well. Ultimately, its really all about timing and chemistry, he's had to work with 3 different QBs, I think once Wilson and him get that stuff down over the course of the season... PR is going to big time play-maker.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
He's a keeper and when Norwood gets on the field everyone will stop treating Wilson like some Joe Flacco 2nd tier quarterback. Percy, Norwood and Richardson are Wilson's core WR's going forward. Sit back and enjoy boys.

Ruminator

Reaction score
My impression is they plan to use Richardson sparingly this season similar to how sparingly they used C-Mike in his first year, and that it won't be 'til 2015 when they make him a top-four WR on the team. They feel no obligation to try to feature him this season just because he was our first pick in the draft.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He's a rookie so I'll wait and watch but I liked the way the opposing DBs were respecting his speed which opened the slants/short routes for him. Seeing him catch some deep balls will be fun to wait and watch b/c it will happen.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Richardson has nice straight line speed but I am not seeing much suddenness or shiftiness. I'm willing to be patient. Takes WR a couple years normally.

I hope we don't regret passing on Cody Lattimer. We need more size at WR, especially in the red zone. I am encouraged by Kearse who does a good job shielding defenders and getting the most out of his frame but it would be nice to have a 6"4ish big body out there.

Which reminds me, why doesn't Pete's son, Brennan, who coaches at Miami, ever seem to tell his dad about Canes prospects? We could have gotten Alan Hurns in the 7th round. He is tearing it up for the Jags right now - outplaying Alan Robinson and Marqis Lee - and he is the big body we need 6'3" 200. Pete talk to your kid!

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
kearly":2u6e9jhh said:
What do you guys think of the pick so far?

To me, Richardson definitely looks like the real deal when he's running comeback routes, and then he looks like a rookie Ricardo Lockette on deep targets. One thing I feel pretty sure of is that Richardson looks "bust proof" to me, although that might mean putting Richardson in a position where he'd be targeted deep as rarely as possible in the near future. I sort of like the pick because when he does catch the ball, he looks really good doing it.

The part that disappoints me has really nothing to do with Richardson's performance. Richardson was hyped as a playmaker. Some people compared him to DeSean Jackson, and there was talk of getting Richardson on the field on punt returns and on gimmick run plays like Tate and Harvin. But so far he's yet to field a punt in preseason, yet to handle an end around, and yet to be featured in a bubble-screen. I've heard nothing from various practice accounts to indicate that his usage in practice has been dramatically different than it has been in games. Basically, Richardson has looked like a regular receiver out there, not a swiss-army knife.

I was hoping that if Harvin missed time this year, Richardson would be able to replace some of that fear factor. But without being a deep threat, and without getting any usage on versatility plays, my sense so far is that PC/JS do not view Richardson as a Percy Harvin type player who will stretch a defense, but as perhaps a speedy possession receiver like Randall Cobb.

No need to show everything in the preseason, I think they know what he CAN do and they really wanted to see what he can't do......if anything.

mikeak

Reaction score
It looked to me yesterday like RW was looking for the deep ball multiple times then ended up scrambling / outlet. Would love to see on the all-22 if Richardson didn't get open or what happened

Happy

Reaction score
what do I think of the pick?

I think he's good enough to start, and it speaks to the depth of the roster that barring injury to another player, he's going to be watching from the sidelines this year. Pete has re-created the machine he built at USC where guys who would be starters on most teams have to wait for their chance to play.

Somebody pinch me.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Richardson will be fine. He hasn't been used much like Harvin (short to middle passes) at least from what I've seen. It's been deep passes so far. Both the QBs throwing to him lack accuracy (Jackson and Pryor) on deep balls. With Harvin, ADB, and Kearse, he's got time to get experience and learn the ropes.

Mick063

Reaction score
jdemps":1ym9xcd0 said:
suppaball":1ym9xcd0 said:
Saving it for regular season yo!

I think it's more of a saving him for the regular season.

He's a lot like Harvin, everyone else looks slow motion compared to him. On the go route he missed Thursday, it was simply an underthrown ball. Hitting him in stride is going to be tough because he's on a different level than the likes of ADB, Kearse, anyone on the defense.

Didn't see as many bubble screen plays for him in his college tape. Lots of long touchdowns. Hence the DJack comparison. He's a bit slighter built than Harvin so maybe that's the reason for the lack of bubble screens.

I'm excited about this kid. Like, trying to decide when to pull the trigger on a jersey excited.

Sept. 4 can't get here fast enough.

I have watched that route several times trying determine if the ball was underthrown after being told as much on these forums. I didn't believe it when I first read it and after further review, I still don't believe it. The pass looks well thrown to me. Richardson leaped too soon and reached back for the ball giving the appearance of underthrown (reaching back at the high point). If he had kept his feet and continued running, the ball would have hit him in stride.

Further, I can never recall a player leaving his feet for an underthrown ball. In almost every case, they leap for overthrown balls or otherwise leap for balls engineered that way (ie. fade route to the corner of the endzone) . The leap is an indication of how he perceived the ball as high when it really wasn't.

Just watch it again. If you have the DVR technology, frame it through in freeze frame steps. Richardson should have never left his feet on that play. The ball would have hit him in stride.