Paul Richardson

Seahawkscrazy

Reaction score
drrew":jo7v8hbv said:
Paul Richardson as a PR was a fallacy from the start. He didn't do it in high school (George Farmer and Marqise Lee returned kicks for Junipero Serra). He didn't do it in college (4 total returns in his career, all in 2011, 3 of which were fair catches). There was no reason to expect he'd do it in the NFL.

He's may be the best 4th WR in the league this season and barring injury, I think he relegates Percy or ADB to full time slot duty next season.

WHAT

themunn

Reaction score
Seahawkscrazy":3nyxse5v said:
drrew":3nyxse5v said:
Paul Richardson as a PR was a fallacy from the start. He didn't do it in high school (George Farmer and Marqise Lee returned kicks for Junipero Serra). He didn't do it in college (4 total returns in his career, all in 2011, 3 of which were fair catches). There was no reason to expect he'd do it in the NFL.

He's may be the best 4th WR in the league this season and barring injury, I think he relegates Percy or ADB to full time slot duty next season.

WHAT

The best receiver that's 4th on a depth chart. That isn't really unrealistic to suggest, which teams have really deep WR corps? Even Denver only really has 3 guys. Last year I'd have said Kearse was the best 4th receiver in the league (Harvin/Tate/Baldwin ahead of him once Rice went on IR).

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1bk1u3wv said:
Hey kearly, which reports were those? I recall reading that Richardson had come down with several deep throws in practice.

Decently sure it was something Hawkblogger mentioned, but I've heard so many TC reports it's hard to keep them straight.

Anyway, when I scouted Richardson at Colorado I thought he looked just fine on deep throws, but the difference was that he wasn't jumping to catch them. Jumping to catch the ball seems to be new for him.

Jumping to catch the football is kind of a Seahawk thing right now. It's not just something our receivers do on deep throws. You watch closely and you'll notice a lot of catches where the receivers leave their feet to catch the ball even when wide open.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Practice makes perfect right? Keep working on the deep ball.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":eqmuuspt said:
What do you guys think of the pick so far?

To me, Richardson definitely looks like the real deal when he's running comeback routes, and then he looks like a rookie Ricardo Lockette on deep targets. One thing I feel pretty sure of is that Richardson looks "bust proof" to me, although that might mean putting Richardson in a position where he'd be targeted deep as rarely as possible in the near future. I sort of like the pick because when he does catch the ball, he looks really good doing it.

The part that disappoints me has really nothing to do with Richardson's performance. Richardson was hyped as a playmaker. Some people compared him to DeSean Jackson, and there was talk of getting Richardson on the field on punt returns and on gimmick run plays like Tate and Harvin. But so far he's yet to field a punt in preseason, yet to handle an end around, and yet to be featured in a bubble-screen. I've heard nothing from various practice accounts to indicate that his usage in practice has been dramatically different than it has been in games. Basically, Richardson has looked like a regular receiver out there, not a swiss-army knife.

I was hoping that if Harvin missed time this year, Richardson would be able to replace some of that fear factor. But without being a deep threat, and without getting any usage on versatility plays, my sense so far is that PC/JS do not view Richardson as a Percy Harvin type player who will stretch a defense, but as perhaps a speedy possession receiver like Randall Cobb.

I mentioned this after the Denver game, and I think it's more applicable now.

I am actually thrilled that Richardson is showing he can do the little things at WR. He's shown in practice that he is the goods as a dynamic deep threat. For Richardson to reach the quality that this team can fully make use of -- he has to be able to do the things he's doing.

I'm not worried in the least that we've kept him under wraps. He's already displayed the playmaker ability under the closed roof of practice. His ability to be a regular receiver is important because it will mean he can be interchangeable with the other receivers.

I can't wait to see his season unfold.

sutz

Reaction score
kearly":1gd4q9kj said:
Jumping to catch the football is kind of a Seahawk thing right now. It's not just something our receivers do on deep throws. You watch closely and you'll notice a lot of catches where the receivers leave their feet to catch the ball even when wide open.
You'd think they would coach against that. It seems like increased injury risk to do that.

What I specifically like is the receivers catching with their hands. You don't see enough of that in the NFL IMHO. Most of our guys actually reach out for the ball with their hands and get a good grip on it before they bring it into their bodies. I like that as I think it helps defend against DBs batting it away.

razgriz737

Reaction score
I'm fine with Richardson not being a quote unquote playmaker this season. It seems pretty typical for rookie WR's to need a season under their belt before they really start to "get it". Tate wasn't a playmaker right off the bat either. Patience is key.

Latest posts