Paul Richardson

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
MizzouHawkGal":2pjz994q said:
He's a keeper and when Norwood gets on the field everyone will stop treating Wilson like some Joe Flacco 2nd tier quarterback. Percy, Norwood and Richardson are Wilson's core WR's going forward. Sit back and enjoy boys.

We just reupped ADB and he's looking as dougie fresh as ever. PH, ADB, + one of the other two. My money's on PRich but it's TBD.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Happy":6eurhwcf said:
what do I think of the pick?

I think he's good enough to start, and it speaks to the depth of the roster that barring injury to another player, he's going to be watching from the sidelines this year. Pete has re-created the machine he built at USC where guys who would be starters on most teams have to wait for their chance to play.

Somebody pinch me.
Until I see different you're correct. This is in fact INSANE. It's literally like John and Pete are running a four year scheme with benefits.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Happy":3huwrzz1 said:

I think he's good enough to start, and it speaks to the depth of the roster that barring injury to another player, he's going to be watching from the sidelines this year. Pete has re-created the machine he built at USC where guys who would be starters on most teams have to wait for their chance to play.

Somebody pinch me.
Until I see different you're correct. This is in fact INSANE. It's literally like John and Pete are running a four year scheme with benefits.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Mick063":27wavdzv said:
jdemps":27wavdzv said:
suppaball":27wavdzv said:
Saving it for regular season yo!

I think it's more of a saving him for the regular season.

He's a lot like Harvin, everyone else looks slow motion compared to him. On the go route he missed Thursday, it was simply an underthrown ball. Hitting him in stride is going to be tough because he's on a different level than the likes of ADB, Kearse, anyone on the defense.

Didn't see as many bubble screen plays for him in his college tape. Lots of long touchdowns. Hence the DJack comparison. He's a bit slighter built than Harvin so maybe that's the reason for the lack of bubble screens.

I'm excited about this kid. Like, trying to decide when to pull the trigger on a jersey excited.

Sept. 4 can't get here fast enough.

I have watched that route several times trying determine if the ball was underthrown after being told as much on these forums. I didn't believe it when I first read it and after further review, I still don't believe it. The pass looks well thrown to me. Richardson leaped too soon and reached back for the ball giving the appearance of underthrown (reaching back at the high point). If he had kept his feet and continued running, the ball would have hit him in stride.

Further, I can never recall a player leaving his feet for an underthrown ball. In almost every case, they leap for overthrown balls. The leap is an indication of how he located the ball as high when it really wasn't.

Just watch it again. If you have the DVR technology, frame it through in freeze frame steps. Richardson should have never left his feet on that play. The ball would have hit him in stride.
I watched just now and looked under thrown to me. Brock Huard also said it was under thrown.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":fzngv02s said:
Happy":fzngv02s said:

Somebody pinch me.

What they are doing is working. Most college coaches have failed in the NFL. PC was a pro coach first, but really no one was patient with him. He found an owner who was willing to stick with him and allow him to build his team. I will admit that I was unimpressed with the initial hire of PC. I'm glad he's here now. Lucky for us fans!

Mick063

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":ryotkb7u said:
Mick063":ryotkb7u said:
jdemps":ryotkb7u said:
suppaball":ryotkb7u said:

He's a lot like Harvin, everyone else looks slow motion compared to him. On the go route he missed Thursday, it was simply an underthrown ball. Hitting him in stride is going to be tough because he's on a different level than the likes of ADB, Kearse, anyone on the defense.

Didn't see as many bubble screen plays for him in his college tape. Lots of long touchdowns. Hence the DJack comparison. He's a bit slighter built than Harvin so maybe that's the reason for the lack of bubble screens.

I'm excited about this kid. Like, trying to decide when to pull the trigger on a jersey excited.

I have watched that route several times trying determine if the ball was underthrown after being told as much on these forums. I didn't believe it when I first read it and after further review, I still don't believe it. The pass looks well thrown to me. Richardson leaped too soon and reached back for the ball giving the appearance of underthrown (reaching back at the high point). If he had kept his feet and continued running, the ball would have hit him in stride.

Further, I can never recall a player leaving his feet for an underthrown ball. In almost every case, they leap for overthrown balls. The leap is an indication of how he located the ball as high when it really wasn't.

Just watch it again. If you have the DVR technology, frame it through in freeze frame steps. Richardson should have never left his feet on that play. The ball would have hit him in stride.
I watched just now and looked under thrown to me. Brock Huard also said it was under thrown.

I still don't think so, but for the sake of argument, let's assume you are correct.

Why is he leaping for an underthrown ball?

It doesn't make sense. Nobody leaps for an underthrown ball, especially running away from the quarterback. Leap for an underthrown ball and it will hit you in the ass, not in your hands above your head.

Hawks46

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3fcqbxti said:
He's a rookie so I'll wait and watch but I liked the way the opposing DBs were respecting his speed which opened the slants for him. Seeing him catch some deep balls will be fun to wait and watch b/c it will happen.

Agree. It's not like no one knew Richardson was fast. All the DB's were playing way off of him, even though the word out of college was jamming him at the line was the most effective (he has trouble getting off of jams), although that is high risk/high reward there....if he gets free, you're not catching him.

Looking at the few catches he got in preseason, he has more wiggle and side to side movement than I expected. He was making the guys playing off of him pay by catching the ball and making the miss. He looks smooth in his routes, explosive in his breaks, and I even like how polished he is in interviews. From what I've read about him, it doesn't seem too big for him and he steps up under the pressure of playing the LoB.

I don't think not seeing much of him has anything to do with not knowing the playbook or being behind. I personally think that the coaches know he's making the team, know what he can do, and know what they're going to do with him. They're just saving him for the regular season, both for how slight he's built, and for keeping his role secret.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3aozsdpc said:
kearly":3aozsdpc said:
What do you guys think of the pick so far?

To me, Richardson definitely looks like the real deal when he's running comeback routes, and then he looks like a rookie Ricardo Lockette on deep targets. One thing I feel pretty sure of is that Richardson looks "bust proof" to me, although that might mean putting Richardson in a position where he'd be targeted deep as rarely as possible in the near future. I sort of like the pick because when he does catch the ball, he looks really good doing it.

The part that disappoints me has really nothing to do with Richardson's performance. Richardson was hyped as a playmaker. Some people compared him to DeSean Jackson, and there was talk of getting Richardson on the field on punt returns and on gimmick run plays like Tate and Harvin. But so far he's yet to field a punt in preseason, yet to handle an end around, and yet to be featured in a bubble-screen. I've heard nothing from various practice accounts to indicate that his usage in practice has been dramatically different than it has been in games. Basically, Richardson has looked like a regular receiver out there, not a swiss-army knife.

I was hoping that if Harvin missed time this year, Richardson would be able to replace some of that fear factor. But without being a deep threat, and without getting any usage on versatility plays, my sense so far is that PC/JS do not view Richardson as a Percy Harvin type player who will stretch a defense, but as perhaps a speedy possession receiver like Randall Cobb.

No need to show everything in the preseason, I think they know what he CAN do and they really wanted to see what he can't do......if anything.
This^
Why would the Seahawks show their cards?
Hell, Baldwin wasn't even drafted, and they played him a bunch in his rookie season, because they were lacking on Wide Receivers, and when Sidney Rice was drawing a crowd out there, it opened up a bunch for ADB to make catches.
I don't think they are going to keep him on the sidelines come regular season, and if Defenses start keying on Harvin too much, there's going to be a flood of Seahawk players getting a nice share of the pie.
We really don't know what Paul Richardson has in his repertoire, but I believe that in time, we will all be high fiving.
But right now?, time is P-Rich's friend.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Mick063":1dkb3zyi said:
ImTheScientist":1dkb3zyi said:
Mick063":1dkb3zyi said:
jdemps":1dkb3zyi said:
suppaball said:

I still don't think so, but for the sake of argument, let's assume you are correct.

Why is he leaping for an underthrown ball?

It doesn't make sense. Nobody leaps for an underthrown ball, especially running away from the quarterback. Leap for an underthrown ball and it will hit you in the ass, not in your hands above your head.
I think he slowed down because the ball was underthrown but then realized he'd slowed a bit too much and had to try to jump for it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2iu5ezj6 said:
Brock only said that, because it was underthrown.
Richardson only reached back to try and get that pass, so as to keep the defender from getting his hands on it.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
He would have had two long TD's if Jackson and Pryor threw the pass better.

Both guys hung the ball up too long. Richardson had his man beat clean in both instances.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
richardson is a unique talent. his speed and catch radius are legit. in interviews and game film he comes across as a competitor who wants to be the best at his craft. he needs work in a few areas, mainly just getting on the same page with our qbs and fully understanding our system and what it requires. i think its great we dont need to rush him or rely on him this year to make plays, he can perfect his craft until needed. percy and doug should be great role models, and the LOB should raise his game also. im excited to have this kid on the team

:snack:

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":maft1ng3 said:

Both guys hung the ball up too long. Richardson had his man beat clean in both instances.

On both throws he showed trouble adjusting to the flight of the ball. There's been reports that this has been an issue in practices as well.

But whatever, by the time they need him to start he'll have put those kind of mistakes behind him.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":eiudcu48 said:
He's a keeper and when Norwood gets on the field everyone will stop treating Wilson like some Joe Flacco 2nd tier quarterback. Percy, Norwood and Richardson are Wilson's core WR's going forward. Sit back and enjoy boys.

Soooo....do I hear you saying that Dougie will just fade away?

Tical21

Reaction score
The ball wasn't underthrown. Pryor threw a great ball there. Richardson mistimed his jump. You don't want him trying to catch that ball in stride with a safety coming over. If he hadn't jumped, he's in the hospital right now. Furthermore, you want guys to go up and fight for that ball and get it at as high of a point as possible. Guys that try to catch balls in stride rather than jumping and fighting for them cause INT's. There are three possible reasons that he mistimed his jump. 1. He is a little anxious. 2. He feels so amped that he thinks he can jump a lot higher than he really can. 3. He just isn't very good at judging deep balls and timing his jumps. #3 could be a problem.

I've been on the kid's bandwagon for a couple years now. I think he's got a lot more polish and craft as a receiver than he gets credit for. I also think if he wasn't dinged a few times, he would have gotten some looks in the return game. Some coaches just don't like to throw rookies back there too early, instead letting them focus on learning their position. He hasn't done it before, but he was Colorado's most valuable player for two years. You usually don't let your best player return kicks.

In year one, I think his biggest contribution will be on the verticals play. If he can just catch a deep ball or two somewhere in the first month of the season, safeties are going to have to honor him going over the top. We saw this week what happens when safeties get scared of speed on the outside. Zach Miller wide open for 35 yards happens.

They'll find some ways to get Richardson on the field in certain packages, and give him a play every now and again, but this is going to pay huge dividends when we decide we don't want to pay Kearse's raise.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I see a lot of great responses in here, and I pretty much agree that he's young and has a lot to learn.

His situation reminds me a lot of Russel Wilson's rookie season and how they held him back. At the time I hated it, but now I see Pete's genius because by bringing them along at the pace that Pete thinks is best, they have a better chance of becoming elite.

And who could know better how and at what level to teach than Pete Carroll, former College Head Coach to teenage boys?

The one compliment that you hear from the experts over and over about Pete and his crew, is that they are all "Teachers."

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kearly":bo3zh5n9 said:
Hasselbeck":bo3zh5n9 said:

On both throws he showed trouble adjusting to the flight of the ball. There's been reports that this has been an issue in practices as well.

But whatever, by the time they need him to start he'll have put those kind of mistakes behind him.

Hey kearly, which reports were those? I recall reading that Richardson had come down with several deep throws in practice.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2sbctuwj said:
MizzouHawkGal":2sbctuwj said:

Man this sucks.... seriously I don't know yet but I see the intended plan. Give Wilson a route runner and 2 playground types or 1 playground type and 1 deep threat and roll with it.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":kglia42p said:
MizzouHawkGal":kglia42p said:

Man this sucks.... seriously I don't know yet but I see the intended plan. Give Wilson a route runner and 2 playground types or 1 playground type and 1 deep threat and roll with it.

Latest posts