Seahawks Release 2 Sign 2

kidhawk

Reaction score
To sign RB Demitrius Bronson and DT Kevin Williams the Seahawks released DE Kenneth Boatright and QB Keith Price.

Just came across my seahawks app.

I knew about the signings but I didn't know who we'd cut for them so thought I'd post it.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Surprised that they'd cut Price so soon. Guess they like what they see out of Pryor. Any word on Williams' contract yet?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Still hoping Price gets a shot on practice squad. Too much talent in the QB group for him to get much of an opportunity right now.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Releasing Price was the respectful thing to do. This gives Price enough time to learn a new system to make a team or practice squad. He had no chance of that in Seattle, which already has its starter and backup on guaranteed money, plus a more experienced developmental prospect in B.J. Daniels and a wildcard athlete in Pryor. Daniels and Pryor will be battling in camp for that third spot.

Jville

Reaction score
In addition to 31 other NFL teams, the Canadian football season starts in 10 days.

Jville

Reaction score
[youtube]YQOOD_TnURc[/youtube]
RB Demitrius Bronson

5'10 212 pounds; 4.52 40, 4.25 short shuttle, 6.82 3-cone, 24 reps bench, 33.5" vert. Bronson is a former 3-star recruit to University of Washington but saw only limited action in 2009 and didn't play in 2010, so he transferred to Eastern Washington. He fits the profile, athletically, as a Seahawk type of running back, and as our own Jared Stanger points out, "his highlight reel is basically a '3rd down back' audition tape. Catches out of the backfield, chip blocks on blitzers, short yardage..."
[urltargetblank]http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-offseason-2014/2014/5/19/5729990/seahawks-rookie-mini-camp-standouts-reports[/urltargetblank]

CANHawk

Reaction score
Price doesn't surprise me at all, but I thought they had pretty high hopes for Boatwright. Hope they can sneak him back onto PS.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Knowing John and Pete, anyone we cut is always on the radar for the future, but as far as practice squad goes, It's a safe bet to say that guys cut this early aren't going to be coming back to the practice squad unless we have a string of injuries. Practice squad guys are generally culled from the last round of cuts before the season starts.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Pretty confident that sometime in the near future, maybe even later this year Keith Price will be an understudy to a coach.

HawkWow

Reaction score
hawknation2014":28502uvk said:
Releasing Price was the respectful thing to do. This gives Price enough time to learn a new system to make a team or practice squad. He had no chance of that in Seattle, which already has its starter and backup on guaranteed money, plus a more experienced developmental prospect in B.J. Daniels and a wildcard athlete in Pryor. Daniels and Pryor will be battling in camp for that third spot.

My thoughts exactly.

Eating crow with this post in admitting I over-estimated (my man) Keith Price. I wish him well going forward and will forever be grateful for his contributions to U-Dub football.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
CANHawk":1fncruth said:
Price doesn't surprise me at all, but I thought they had pretty high hopes for Boatwright. Hope they can sneak him back onto PS.

There was just no room for Boatwright.

Bennett
McDaniel
Mebane
Avril
K. Williams
Scruggs
J. Williams
Mayowa
Marsh
Hill
Brooks
Schofield
Jeffcoat
Staten
Smith
Cherrington
Pulu
+ Irvin in certain packages

At least six of these guys will need to be cut (and probably more like seven or eight).

The Radish

Reaction score
Its starting to look like a major thought process getting ready for the Practice Squad.

But this year I'd wager it will be more to keep other teams from raiding our Practice Squad. I think the new CBA still requires a team to put a guy on the team for a while if they take him from another teams squad.

:les:

Basis4day

Reaction score
The Radish":yvyw1emh said:
Its starting to look like a major thought process getting ready for the Practice Squad.

But this year I'd wager it will be more to keep other teams from raiding our Practice Squad. I think the new CBA still requires a team to put a guy on the team for a while if they take him from another teams squad.

:les:

That's correct. A PS player must be signed to the 53 man active roster of the new team and must clear waivers if released before going to the new team's PS. They are guaranteed 3 game checks regardless of if they get cut sooner than that.

Your next opponent can't sign a player off your own team's PS with less than 6 days to go before the game is played. 10 days on a bye-week.

kearly

Reaction score
Figured a QB would be one of them. I was expecting it to be Daniels, but Price makes sense because he's not a developmental QB and they can always pick him up later without much consequence if need be. Daniels and especially Pryor would benefit from the practices and preseason games more.

Price's polished skillset makes him a good hedge-bet for the other guys who are more developmental. I think he remains a security blanket option for Seattle even after this, unless he ends up making a 53 man roster somewhere else.

I never really saw anything in Boatright last preseason. Just seemed like a camp body guy.

CANHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3r7zvnfc said:
CANHawk":3r7zvnfc said:

There was just no room for Boatwright.

Bennett
McDaniel
Mebane
Avril
K. Williams
Scruggs
J. Williams
Mayowa
Marsh
Hill
Brooks
Schofield
Jeffcoat
Staten
Smith
Cherrington
Pulu
+ Irvin in certain packages

At least six of these guys will need to be cut (and probably more like seven or eight).
Holy crap. When you see it all laid out like that, it really is a full bus innit?

Jville

Reaction score
I was expecting Kenneth Boatwright to step up and compete in 2014. They gave Boatwright a $12,500 signing bonus last year. Neither he nor John Lotulelei made Seattle's roster as undrafted rookie free agents.

Boatwright had plenty of time to prepare for the 2014 competition. I'm surprised by such an early release. I do not expect him back in Seattle. It appears there are indeed plenty of other options.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Jville":2ab6y3q7 said:
I was expecting Kenneth Boatwright to step up and compete in 2014. They gave Boatwright a $12,500 signing bonus last year. Neither he nor John Lotulelei made Seattle's roster as undrafted rookie free agents.

Boatwright had plenty of time to prepare for the 2014 competition. I'm surprised by such an early release. I do not expect him back in Seattle. It appears there are indeed plenty of other options.

The coaches must like what they have seen from Mayowa, Schofield, Marsh, and Jeffcoat. Another one or two of these guys will likely not make the cut. Schofield gives them some versatility because of his ability to play SLB and special teams, but he's on a one-year deal and may have less upside. Also, Marsh is seen as more of an interior player, which gives him versatility and upside. Mayowa/Jeffcoat are pure LEOs who need to develop their containment and run support.