Will Luck get more than Wilson

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
If the Hawks win the bowl again this season I'd say no way. Wilson will set the bar.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I don't care how much Wilson gets paid in relation to Luck as long as he continues to outplay him.

But if that happens, Wilson will get paid like it.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Depends on how each plays this season. The guy who has the better 2014 season will get paid more. Pretty simple.

If Luck has a good statistical year and leads his team to an SB, he'll obviously get a truckload. Same is true if Wilson puts up great numbers and is able to be the first repeat SB winner in over 10 years.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Depends on which one of them gets their new contract first. Whoever gets theirs first will make less than whoever comes second. Both guys are franchise guys, and that's simply the way it works for the long-term answers at the QB position. If Wilson were able to sign a new deal tomorrow and did so, then I guarantee that Luck and Newton at the very least will get more than he does. Now, if the QB isn't a lock as your long-term answer (think Andy Dalton, for example), then it becomes more muddled.

ManBunts

Reaction score
$24-25 million!? Dang. Right now Rodgers is tops at $22 I believe, followed by Kap, and then in particular order Manning, Cutler, Brees, Flacco and Ryan. I think to keep it team friendly, Russel gets in the $22-23 range, but with big guaranteed money and long term. Like we lock him down for his football life. He's smart enough that he won't want to cripple the team financially.

And at the end of the day, I hate these huge contracts QBs are getting. I personally think they're vastly inflated when compared to the player's value. Not trying to dog Russell's skills or his value to the team, but a QB doesn't function without everyone else on the team, and the way contracts are going, teams are now almost being forced to put 15% into one player. It's nuts. I blame Cutler for all of this. Once you give a mid level QB $18million/yr, you condemn any team with a better QB to $20+

Anthony!

Reaction score
HawkGA":3jptwfb8 said:
Schefter says yes. I admit I'm torn. I want Wilson to get a fairly cap friendly contract, but I'll also be peeved if Luck gets paid more.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11035695

Schefter also thinks Wilson will be in the 24 to 25 million range.

well he said RW will be right there with Luck so we will see, it really depend son how it is put together, and remember it will be an extension so that means Rw last year will count so if they pay say 125mil for 5 years it is really 126mil for 6 counting his last year and that avg out to be only 21 mil.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
This morning while discussing Cap Mile and Mile predicted that Lucks deal will be the biggest in league history.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Yes because he has the 5th year option so Indy has more time. Russ will get paid first and Luck's agent will push to get on top of that.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Exactly as has been said, whoever signs second will be the highest paid QB in the league......Until whomever qb hits restructure time next.....just the way the league works.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
He also has the highest hype of any QB in history. He won't have to get to a superbowl in order to get that record contract.

TXHawk

Reaction score
Wilson will get a new contract next year while Luck may not be extended until 2016 since the Colts have a fifth year option on him. So, yes, I think Luck will get a bigger contract since the salary cap will be higher by then.

byau

Reaction score
ManBunts":1t2gzdug said:
And at the end of the day, I hate these huge contracts QBs are getting. I personally think they're vastly inflated when compared to the player's value. Not trying to dog Russell's skills or his value to the team, but a QB doesn't function without everyone else on the team, and the way contracts are going, teams are now almost being forced to put 15% into one player. It's nuts. I blame Cutler for all of this. Once you give a mid level QB $18million/yr, you condemn any team with a better QB to $20+

Totally know what you mean about inflated prices.

Somewhat justified though:

QBs are also one of the least replaceable positions and a highly technical position. Not saying that other positions aren't technical, just saying that a QB has to be able to anticipate, read, read again, scramble, read, throw a ball in a spiral and accurately, etc.

Another exercise: take a position like QB, safety, linemen, etc. and take him out for a game so the next in line has to fill in. How big is the drop-off? QBs tend to have a pretty big drop off from 1st string to 2nd string compared to other positions. Each team will be different, but when you're talking about the market, you have to take the league as a whole.

Thus the QBs inflated price.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think they'll both make big bucks, but Luck's hit on the cap will be much less painful because it's already 8M a year, so by comparison Luck's bump in cap will be modest compared to Russell's.

Escamillo

Reaction score
byau":dfqx5am1 said:
ManBunts":dfqx5am1 said:

Totally know what you mean about inflated prices.

Somewhat justified though:

QBs are also one of the least replaceable positions and a highly technical position. Not saying that other positions aren't technical, just saying that a QB has to be able to anticipate, read, read again, scramble, read, throw a ball in a spiral and accurately, etc.

Another exercise: take a position like QB, safety, linemen, etc. and take him out for a game so the next in line has to fill in. How big is the drop-off? QBs tend to have a pretty big drop off from 1st string to 2nd string compared to other positions. Each team will be different, but when you're talking about the market, you have to take the league as a whole.

Thus the QBs inflated price.

When guys like Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Flacco are able to win Super Bowls, maybe having an elite QB isn't as vital as is commonly believed.

Putting 15% of a team's salary into one guy has never resulted in a Super Bowl win. What's it take for people to understand that?

Now, if the "Cutler-market" is going to dictate that everyone put 15% into one guy, then fine, since everyone will be under that same handicap if tying up 15% into one guy, even if the guy is mediocre at best (like Cutler). I wonder, though, if one team will have the guts to say "no", let their QB walk, and put the saved money into creating a well-rounded team, and thus have an advantage over most of the teams that wasted 15% of their salary into mediocre QBs. Well rounded teams win Super Bowls. Teams wint 20+mil QBs do not (not yet, at least).

BTW, Luck will get way more than RW.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Escamillo":2evr0e32 said:
When guys like Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Flacco are able to win Super Bowls, maybe having an elite QB isn't as vital as is commonly believed.

You could add to the mix Peyton Manning, who although won a Super Bowl, did it with a quality team against a team led by Sexy Rexy Grossman. And there are plenty of top-tier, Hall of Fame quarterbacks with no Super Bowls.

On topic, I very much hope Luck's contract is way more than Wilson's. Wilson will get his fair contract, I'm not worried about that. But it'd be great to see the Colts bust their monetary situation all to hell over the hype machine.

Penman96

Reaction score
Luck will get the largest contract extension in the history of the NFL interms of potential value.

(of course it will have guaruntees, incentives, penalities, opt-outs, and at least one re-do halfway through - so much like Keap's contract no one will have a bloody clue what it actually pays...).

Wilson will also get a huge amount, but not as much as Luck.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I have no doubt that Luck will get a huge payday when the time comes. Wilson will do just fine also. I just think it shows a paradigm shift in that someone from the press is actually acknowledging Wilson as a peer to him now. Not that I feel sorry for him, but he has had to work his butt off since he got here to carve out his place in history, whereas Luck was almost pre-determined to do so by the football paparazzi. I hope a healthy receiving corps, combined with all the new blood on the O-Line will allow Wilson to show more of what he is capable of with all assets on deck. Both of them (along with RG3) will be filthy rich 2 years from now, of that there is no question.

Cartire

Reaction score
All i can say is, hopefully. I love wilson, and I understand his payday is also a prestige thing and not just the money. But once someone is making 7 figures, I become less sympathetic to the amount. The less he makes (which will hopefully less the luck) means the more we have for the team.