TE Rashaun Allen signed

hawknation2014

Reaction score
140519-rashaun-allen-600.jpg

Per Dave Boling, Allen caught a touchdown at the rookie mini-camp and "made several other nice grabs." Allen was known to be a good blocker at Southern University. Despite playing in all 13 games last season, he caught only nine passes for 53 yards. He was utilized more in 2012, catching 18 passes for 141 yards and a TD.

At 6'5, 250 pounds, Allen measured well at his Pro Day, including a 38" vertical, which is the same distance that Luke Willson put up last year. It would have been the second best vertical jump of any TE at the combine other than Colt Lyerla. Allen also ran the 40 in 4.68, the short shuttle in 4.52, and the 3-cone in 7.35. In addition, he put up 24 bench press reps and had a 9'7" broad jumped.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":itnqdcb6 said:
Welcome to two days ago.

LOL, tough crowd.

I hadn't seen a thread about Allen on this board, so I thought I would start one during this slow news period. He looks like an interesting developmental player, IMO.

gargantual

Reaction score
hawknation2014":ya0lxz9g said:
NorthDallas40oz":ya0lxz9g said:
Welcome to two days ago.

LOL, tough crowd.

I hadn't seen a thread about Allen on this board, so I thought I would start one during this slow news period. He looks like an interesting developmental player, IMO.
First I saw about it. Like a lot of people, I don't spend as much time here this time of year (athough I DO still spend too much time here :D ). So thanks for the heads up.

It'll be interesting to watch all the camp battles this year.

fav13259

Reaction score
Don't mind NorthDallas, thanks for the post, it'll be interesting to see how well he does as a blocking TE or if the coaches think they can develop him into a pass catching one.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I can appreciate both attitudes in this thread. One... that some hadn't seen anything about Rashaun Allen yet. It's tough to find exact info on players. I suppose you could do a search of the players name once logged into .net to see if anything pops up. I know it's preferable to keep the number of posts down whenever possible. So, I didn't start a new post about Rashaun Allen. I simply joined in other threads here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93000 and here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93114

I can also appreciate the other attitude that it's been reported days ago. As you can see in one of the links provided, it was reported on .net along with the Cassius Marsh signing. It was also posted at dot com. I guess we're supposed to dig a little bit before starting a new topic? Anyway, I first heard about Rashaun Allen before the draft and included him in my NFL mock draft as an UDFA to the Hawks.

Regardless of when you first heard about him... he's a player to watch. Still has to make the team, but he's definitely getting an opportunity and I'm sure the Seahawks would love to see him become the next Shannon Sharpe. He's from Cleveland, OH and attended Southern University in Louisiana. There were flyers placed on the cars of scouts at the LSU pro day to invite them to take a bit more time that day to see their players. Kudos to our scouts and for JS and crew getting him to Seattle as an UDFA. Are we at all surprised? Man, potentially great find in Allen.

I love the new look to the site, but I guess I'm getting old. My eyesight has gotten progressively worse in my 40's and I have a hard time reading the topic lines with this new look. The colors seem to bleed together. I'm not complaining, but the old site layout was a little easier for me to read and spot things like already posted topics.
:les:

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":398hyzul said:
I can appreciate both attitudes in this thread. One... that some hadn't seen anything about Rashaun Allen yet. It's tough to find exact info on players. I suppose you could do a search of the players name once logged into .net to see if anything pops up. I know it's preferable to keep the number of posts down whenever possible. So, I didn't start a new post about Rashaun Allen. I simply joined in other threads here http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93000 and here http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93114

Good points . . . however, that first thread is about UDFAs who are "starter material" (and I don't know that Allen qualifies). And the second is about Marsh. Given that Allen was one of the bright spots of the rookie camp, I think he is deserving of his own thread.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Cooper Helfet might not have anymore practice squad eligibility left... so this might be a preemptive move through competition of course (Chase Dixon) to put a body on the PS roster if need be.

The guy looks to have a considerable amount talent but I wonder the actual probability of him supplanting Willson or McCoy.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2m2dkuye said:
The guy looks to have a considerable amount talent but I wonder the actual probability of him supplanting Willson or McCoy.

We're all about giving them the chance to do so.

HawkWow

Reaction score
hawknation2014":39bnnyh2 said:
140519-rashaun-allen-600.jpg

Per Dave Boling, Allen caught a touchdown at the rookie mini-camp and "made several other nice grabs." Allen was known to be a good blocker at Southern University. Despite playing in all 13 games last season, he caught only nine passes for 53 yards. He was utilized more in 2012, catching 18 passes for 141 yards and a TD.

At 6'5, 250 pounds, Allen measured well at his Pro Day, including a 38" vertical, which is the same distance that Luke Willson put up last year. It would have been the second best vertical jump of any TE at the combine other than Colt Lyerla. Allen also ran the 40 in 4.68, the short shuttle in 4.52, and the 3-cone in 7.35. In addition, he put up 24 bench press reps and had a 9'7" broad jumped.

Thanks for posting this. Like TOC, we don't all see every thread put up. I spend a significant amount of time here, and this is the first I've seen of Allen. Immediately after the draft, most of us were concentrating on drafted players, with the exception of a few favorites like Jeffcoat and Price. Between now and camp, I expect even more threads like this, and look forward to them so some of the lesser known guys, like Allen, don't fall through the cracks. I suppose it would be easy to search before posting a thread, but probably no easier than readers skipping a thread if they are already in tune with that prospect. If the thread gets little attention, it will drop like a long ball thrown to Mike Wallace, so I don't see it threatening more active threads. Thanks again. Kid has the measurables and lord knows we have the coaching.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
hawknation2014":g7lzinvo said:
TeamoftheCentury":g7lzinvo said:
I can appreciate both attitudes in this thread. One... that some hadn't seen anything about Rashaun Allen yet. It's tough to find exact info on players. I suppose you could do a search of the players name once logged into .net to see if anything pops up. I know it's preferable to keep the number of posts down whenever possible. So, I didn't start a new post about Rashaun Allen. I simply joined in other threads here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93000 and here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93114

Good points . . . however, that first thread is about UDFAs who are "starter material" (and I don't know that Allen qualifies). And the second is about Marsh. Given that Allen was one of the bright spots of the rookie camp, I think he is deserving of his own thread.
Yeah, thanks. I realize the "starter material" bit. That thread sort of detoured a bit well before I made my points about Allen. I think it morphed into "who will be the surprise gems?" of the UDFA class. "Starter Material" may also speak to the ability to start w/o being an official starter. And, the Seahawks certainly give playing time to non-starters. But, my comments there and here were clarified enough. The point was to say that he's been discussed.

Like I said, I'm not faulting you for starting a thread on the guy. Hey, I'm a Hawks fan. He's getting some attention and I'm cool with him getting his own thread - like you said. I almost started one, but I knew someone would "re-discover" him and post a new topic. lol. He deserves the attention. That's quite an accomplishment and will be interesting to see if he pans out.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3fzsyz3b said:
Cooper Helfet might not have anymore practice squad eligibility left... so this might be a preemptive move through competition of course (Chase Dixon) to put a body on the PS roster if need be.

True enough about looking to have a player on the PS. But, if Allen hadn't shown enough... they would be moving on to looking for someone who could compete for that PS roster spot (if that's all it might be) and would not have signed him for a longer look. I like both Willson and McCoy. But, (hypothetically) if this guy turns out to be the next Shannon Sharpe...

HawkHack

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":1f2x2lvv said:
Pandion Haliaetus":1f2x2lvv said:

True enough about looking to have a player on the PS. But, if Allen hadn't shown enough... they would be moving on to looking for someone who could compete for that PS roster spot (if that's all it might be) and would not have signed him for a longer look. I like both Willson and McCoy. But, (hypothetically) if this guy turns out to be the next Shannon Sharpe...
Book it. :)

Latest posts