Jack Haener could be our Brock Purdy?

toffee

Reaction score
If one would to take S2 test seriously, Jake Haener ought to get more attention. Interesting comparison with other top S2 candidates, may be we could draft Haener and as our own Purdy. What did these three had in common? Slight of built, short arms, small hands, HIGH S2 score, and LOW INT in college.

Jack HaenerBryce YoungBrock PurdayJoe Montana
Height6'0"5'10"6'1"6'2"
Weight207 lbs204 lbs212 lbs200 lbs
Hands9 3/8"9 3/4"9 1/4"
Arm29 3/4"30 1/2"29"
Span73"73 4/8"71 6/8"
40 yards4.82 sec4.52 sec4.84 sec
broad114
Vertical35"27"
3 cone7.017.21 sec
S296%98%mid 90%
College StatsFresno StateAlabamaIowa StateNotre Dame
rtg110.8114.9101.5124.9
pff87.991.579.3
draftbuzz85.4
yards2900332532002010
completion71.3%64.571.4%54.2%
2022 ypa8.28.87.87.73
2022 TD20321910
2022 INT3589
WeaknessHis arm is good but not great, and Haener loses accuracy and velocity when he is moved off his spot.

Too often fails to give receivers a chance to make
a play after the catch

Puts too much air in some of his throws and needs to show a lower trajectory on deep throws

Arm strength is not elite - doesn't have a cannon, although still manages to get enough zip on most of his throws.

Has struggled with his decision-making and needs to improve his pre-snap recognition skills to read defenses and see blitzes.

Doesn't decipher information as quickly as you would like, but does see the entire field and understands coverage.

Needs to improve his touch at all levels and know when to gun it and when to take something off his throws.

Accuracy is solid, but far from great with streaky ball placement downfield as he tries to thread the needle too much.

Too often fails to give receivers a chance to make a play after the catch. High completion percentage padded by many quick screens.

Sails throws to either sideline; receivers make him look good with acrobatic catches. Back-foot throws are not accurate. Sometimes trusts his arm too much, trying to stick passes late in the play or when off-balance.
“He can thread the needle, but usually goes with his primary receiver and forces the ball to him even when he’s in a crowd. He’s a gutty, gambling, cocky type. Doesn’t have great tools, but could eventually start.” – Anonymous scout, 1979

Last edited:

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
And the absolute cherry on top would be to hear…

”The Seahawks defeated the Niners 19-26 due to the play of Danville native Jake Haener. In the interest of full disclosure, that’s my son. Go Hawks.”

—Julie Haener, evening news anchor, ktvu San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
And the absolute cherry on top would be to hear…

”The Seahawks defeated the Niners 19-26 due to the play of Danville native Jake Haener. In the interest of full disclosure, that’s my son. Go Hawks.”

—Julie Haener, evening news anchor, ktvu San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose
wow, didn't know the connection, thank you for that bit of information. Now I am officially on Jack Haener bandwagon.

Here, mama and sonny:

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Jake Haener as a legit NFL QB is every bit as possible as Brock Purdy at this point in their respective careers.

Purdy played overall superior opposition in 2021, IMO, but Fresno 2022 was close. Most impressive to me was Fresno State beating Boise State in the conference championship game in a rematch of an earlier loss. Haven't watched Haener's tape, but it seems "plausible" based on just the basic numbers, that Haener could turn into a legit NFL QB.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Jake Haener as a legit NFL QB is every bit as possible as Brock Purdy at this point in their respective careers.

Purdy played overall superior opposition in 2021, IMO, but Fresno 2022 was close. Most impressive to me was Fresno State beating Boise State in the conference championship game in a rematch of an earlier loss. Haven't watched Haener's tape, but it seems "plausible" based on just the basic numbers, that Haener could turn into a legit NFL QB.
Haener isn't a athletic or measurable specimen, he ain't no Anthony Richardson, but neither was Joe Montana. Haener didn't have the strongest arm, neither did Joe. Haener may never became the second coming of Montana, but he is worthy of one of our picks. This's from Joe:
"I don't think I threw the ball, like, deep along the sidelines as well as I threw it deep down the middle or anywhere else," Joe Montana told CBS Sports Network's Jim Rome on Wednesday's "The Jim Rome Show" at Super Bowl LVII Radio Row.

"I think that was probably the biggest weakness I had, trying to get the ball up fast enough. My arm strength was I had really good arm strength, but I didn't have great arm strength. So if Jerry [Rice] got a free release or [John Taylor], I had hurry up, getting the ball out of my hand, he did not run me."

Mick063

Reaction score
If you believe that quarterbacks can/should be developed, then this is the type of low-risk guy that will not ransom your franchise. You can invest in him with a much greater chance that your investment will not inevitably extort you. Of course, if he does develop into something special, you then at least have a personalized professional relationship to base your fiscal decision upon.

Personally, I feel that Lock is much, much better than the locals give him credit for. I'm not especially infatuated with the idea of bringing in a new guy, but then again, Pete is all about the competition. So go ahead, bring him in, and don't let the more expensive Lock feel overly comfortable about his roster spot. Further, you never know about injuries. It is always good to have some emergency connections in place. Stop and think about how Purdy got on the playing field in the first place.

I'm all for developing quarterbacks. The inexpensive ones. If they play their way into being expensive, I'm good with that as well. They earned it on the playing field. This is why I feel Geno has earned every future dollar he will receive from the Seahawks.

Last edited:

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Jack's momma could get it. You know, since we're speaking in hypotheticals.

😉

ETA: After further analysis via my quick jaunt down a Google image search rabbit hole, Mrs. Haener could get every inch and then some! Goddamn that's a fine ass skinny white woman! I wonder if her coworker, OG Dennis Richmond, tapped on one of their work trips. They seemed very "comfy" together in a few pics 😁

Last edited:

Smellyman

Reaction score
FYI - Joe Montana did have a basketball scholarship to NC State. He was a very good athlete.

olyfan63

Reaction score
If you believe that quarterbacks can/should be developed, then this is the type of low-risk guy that will not ransom your franchise. You can invest in him with a much greater chance that your investment will not inevitably extort you. Of course, if he does develop into something special, you then at least have a personalized professional relationship to base your fiscal decision upon.

Personally, I feel that Lock is much, much better than the locals give him credit for. I'm not especially infatuated with the idea of bringing in a new guy, but then again, Pete is all about the competition. So go ahead, bring him in, and don't let the more expensive Lock feel overly comfortable about his roster spot. Further, you never know about injuries. It is always good to have some emergency connections in place. Stop and think about how Purdy got on the playing field in the first place.

I'm all for developing quarterbacks. The inexpensive ones. If they play their way into being expensive, I'm good with that as well. They earned it on the playing field. This is why I feel Geno has earned every future dollar he will receive from the Seahawks.
I'm on the same page regarding Lock. Hawks brought him back on a fair backup contract that shows they believe in him. Lock already has NFL starting experience. If Geno has more poop-for-luck and gets injured, (at least he got paid first) Pete seems to have confidence in Lock.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

Jake wanted to prove he was better than Jacob Eason. That’s a chip on his shoulder.

His mom is also a uw grad, his grandpa too…