Tate vs Baldwin

-seanhawk-

Reaction score
Assuming we cannot afford to keep both Tate and Baldwin, who would you rather keep?

Baldwin is a restricted free agent this offseason, meaning a team can offer him a contract and sign him, but not before Seattle has the chance to match the offer and keep him. If Seattle chooses not to match the offer and Baldwin leaves, they receive an early round pick (2nd round?) from the team.

Tate is a unrestricted free agent this offseason. When free agency begins, Seattle has the first chance to offer him a deal. After that, Tate can take the best offer available.

It is my opinion that, going with Pete's mantra of competition, that this team thinks more highly of Baldwin. Again, this is just my opinion, but what I have seen during the past three seasons is that Baldwin is a more effective route runner, better at understanding defensive coverages and spacing, has better hands, and is more valuable in special teams. Tate, for his credit, is quicker, a top five punt returner, and has so far managed to stay healthier. Both are better than average run blockers, and are a similar size.

One thing that is unknown is how other teams value the two. For example, teams have to think of Baldwin highly enough to not only sign him, but also to give up an early round pick. He was undrafted out of college so obviously every team (including Seattle) didn't value him highly enough to draft him, for whatever reason. Tate was a much bigger name in college, coming off of a successful collegiate career at ND. He was a high-round pick, and is more well known around the country. And unlike Baldwin, can be signed without consequence of losing a draft pick.

Maybe we find a way to keep both, but for some reason I can't see that happening. If that is the case, it is my opinion that we keep ADB, and it is my prediction the Tate leaves this offseason. What do you guys think?

main

Reaction score
I think Baldwin stays and Tate goes. Tate was a non factor during the playoffs.

OP
OP
-seanhawk-

-seanhawk-

Reaction score
main":1ekyea8i said:

Which is part of the reason why I am worried about how this situation plays out. Baldwin got his opportunities and stepped up big time in the playoffs, and Tate did not. That no doubt raised his value across the league. Hope we are right though!

main

Reaction score
I don't think Baldwin will try to screw Seattle for a unrealistic big contract. I'm pretty sure he will keep in mind that Seattle gave him a chance when he was undrafted and Seattle helped him get a ring. Plus, I think these players will do what they can to stay with Pete Carroll. He seems to have a very good relationship with his players.

A

Anonymous

I think a better question is: Who do like better?

Hold up...trick question, both are to valuable to let go.

Each have contributed so much to the success of the team I simply cannot answer this question. In fact, I don't think I'm even going to post a comment for this topic at all. Nope, no response from me. I won't do it. Can't.

wait...

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I'm probably in a minority but I wouldn't be that devastated to see Tate go. He's a good player but he's not a WR1 imho and I think the draft has some potentially excellent replacements and the draft is deep at that position.

Baldwin is Mr Clutch but I cant see enough outside interest (especially considering the draft pick required) in him from outside the Seahawks for it to be a concern about sorting a deal.

themunn

Reaction score
if we can't keep both I'd keep Baldwin, as he's likely to be cheaper and is the least comparable to anyone else on the roster. We'll probably either tie up Baldwin or slap a first round tender on him - if any team likes him that much then we'll be well compensated, if not, 3m is still good value for money, and a long term contract would likely be in the 3-4m per year range.

I figure it's more likely that Tate is allowed to test free agency, and will find that the majority of "big" offers will come from dysfunctional teams as they always do.

Tate is probably a top 3 WR in this FA class (behind Decker and maybe Edelman). The Colts will probably make a run at Decker if the Broncos don't tie him up, but if not, I can almost certainly see him ending up in Indy.

sutz

Reaction score
main":azir9b4r said:
Yeah, and Marshawn 'only' had 35 yards in the SB. Maybe we should let him go too. :34853_doh:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I think that the overall contributions that Tate has made to getting us to the big dance is being shit on by a few posters in here.
Y'all got to remember that Baldwin was hurt last Season (as all players can be at any time), Tate picked up the slack, and helped WILSON out by catching the ball in traffic and gaining first downs.
Tate, like Lynch, were keyed on in the last few games, and that opened it up for others to shine, and we won some tough games because of those factors.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
I love Tate but he is so inconsistent throughout his career. I think he will be a monster in another system though.

HawkWow

Reaction score
sutz":3gu4olzb said:
main":3gu4olzb said:
Yeah, and Marshawn 'only' had 35 yards in the SB. Maybe we should let him go too. :34853_doh:

Burn him at the stake.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Hopefully we can keep them both! They are both studs, they both helped us get to, and win the SB. Love these guys!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
A lot of guys can be found that could return a punt..No biggie..Let Tate go..We cannot afford to lose any good def guys for him..WR is loaded at fa and draft...

chris98251

Reaction score
We know other teams were asking about Baldwin last off season and JS said not available. Tate will garner interest as well.

Sac

Reaction score
Tate was a man's man against the Saints in the playoffs. He took hit after dirty hit.