Tate vs Baldwin

Penman96

Reaction score
Baldwin will stay for sure.

JS will probably let Tate hit the FA market and see what offers he gets, if he can't generate much interest he might be back. I've heard that most NFL teams have him as a slot receiver, so he isn't valued that highly. Add to that the 2014 draft looks very good for WR's...

Anthony!

Reaction score
They will keep both, and for those ignoring Tates contributions your being very short sighted, all of Tates catches in the SB were huge.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Anthony!":37s413sw said:
They will keep both, and for those ignoring Tates contributions your being very short sighted, all of Tates catches in the SB were huge.

Tate gave up a first down he otherwise had in the Super Bowl by spinning backwards. Exact opposite of "huge". Still hope they can keep him though. If it can only be 1 I'll take Doug.

OP
OP
-seanhawk-

-seanhawk-

Reaction score
dopeboy206":3nk955is said:
I love Tate but he is so inconsistent throughout his career. I think he will be a monster in another system though.

This is pretty much my exact opinion on Tate, and maybe something I failed to articulate correctly in my original post. He is a playmaker. Thought last year that he could turn into a poor man's Percy Harvin, and he did. Well, we got the man himself now, and unless Tate is willing to take a significant "hometown discount", I think it could be in Tate's best interest to find another team that could use him in more ways, and pay him more.

Curious if anyone here would know what the potential offers could be for Tate or Baldwin? Heard Clayton mention the Jets as a possible destination for Golden.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
HawkWow":s95o5f4n said:
sutz":s95o5f4n said:
main":s95o5f4n said:
I think Baldwin stays and Tate goes. Tate was a non factor during the playoffs.
Yeah, and Marshawn 'only' had 35 yards in the SB. Maybe we should let him go too. :34853_doh:

Burn him at the stake.

Lynch actually did something against SF and NO though. Tate only had 8 catches for 61 yards in our 3 postseason games. Baldwin had 13 catches 202 yards and a TD. They both were targeted the same ammount of times. Id love to keep both but Baldwin is coming on super strong and he has been so clutch this whole year.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
If the Hawks place a 2nd round tender on Baldwin, as expected, he would be paid a bit over $2M/year.

And based on what I've read and heard on the radio, it sounds like the Hawks could sign Tate to a multi-year contract at an average salary of $3.5M/year... maybe $4M/year on the high end.

kearly

Reaction score
If it's either / or then probably Tate, mainly because I think Baldwin will cost more $$$ to retain and apparently has some trade value. Also, Kearse is pretty close to a Baldwin clone. We don't really have another player quite like Tate, even Harvin has some substantial differences. Also, Tate stays healthy, Baldwin has had a lot of injuries in both college and the NFL.

Would not be shocked if Seattle keeps neither. Money is TIGHT right now.

Tokadub

Reaction score
They are both equally important to me. Whatever slight edge Baldwin may have in clutch route running Tate makes up for with his ridiculous athleticism and punt returns.

Pretty sure Tate had actually quite a lot more total yardage than Baldwin even including the playoffs when you include punt returns.

Really don't know what Tate would have to do to get the respect of some of you guys, he's really good. Russell spreads the ball by design none of our receivers will have great numbers every game if that's what your expecting.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":35nr3hro said:
Anthony!":35nr3hro said:

Tate gave up a first down he otherwise had in the Super Bowl by spinning backwards. Exact opposite of "huge". Still hope they can keep him though. If it can only be 1 I'll take Doug.

I hear that. Love Tate and will be totally bummed should he depart, but for the love of GOD, GT...stop the madness! He got lucky as hell with that vs. SF, then goes back to it in the SB?

With a healthy Rice, that may have got Tate some serious bench time. Thank heavens we converted, and I appreciate the fact he was looking to make THE big play, but that was rookie stuff right there. The good news? Both plays will be screened as John sits down with Tate's agent....then there's the donut incident. Who can forget the donut incident? Damn near brought this franchise to it's knees. Little thug. ; )

chris98251

Reaction score
We rotate our guys a lot, we have starters but we send guys in for downs that have specific attributes, jump balls, needing YAC, shorter first downs etc. Thats what so amazing is the spread the ball around is also about differnt looks and not having one guy that any one team matches up with.

HawkWow

Reaction score
chris98251":3gyesfui said:
We rotate our guys a lot, we have starters but we send guys in for downs that have specific attributes, jump balls, needing YAC, shorter first downs etc. Thats what so amazing is the spread the ball around is also about differnt looks and not having one guy that any one team matches up with.

There was a couple games this year, RW hit like 8 or 9 different targets. I was like...do we even have 8 or 9 different targets? Very hard to defend and without starting a Bevell war, maybe the guy's not all that bad.

As Pete walked away from his last (?) news conference the other day, he purposely paused to inform the reporters (I paraphrase) :

"For those that feel Russell could have done more out there this year, that we left yards and points on the field, do know that Russell did absolutely everything I asked him to do. He was nearly flawless and never turned the ball over. He will be even better next year and we can do some more things with him and the offense."

I suppose that has to be said for Bevell as well. Unless I'm mistaken...Pete used the word "I" and not we. I too have been critical of Bevell, mostly re empty back sets...but Bevell answers to Pete and Pete just won us our 1st SB. With that, I'm glad Bevell's hanging around.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Here is my guess, SR will restructure, Miller will go, Baldwin will sign and Tate may not. I am purely guessing based on philosophy, scheme, personality and so on.

seedhawk

Reaction score
From the front offices standpoint this is NOT an either or decision. It's more a moneyball who gives us the best chance for $ spent, and what else besides play WR can they do.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
HawkWow":28yvphb8 said:
Missing_Clink":28yvphb8 said:
Anthony!":28yvphb8 said:

I hear that. Love Tate and will be totally bummed should he depart, but for the love of GOD, GT...stop the madness! He got lucky as hell with that vs. SF, then goes back to it in the SB?

With a healthy Rice, that may have got Tate some serious bench time. Thank heavens we converted, and I appreciate the fact he was looking to make THE big play, but that was rookie stuff right there. The good news? Both plays will be screened as John sits down with Tate's agent....then there's the donut incident. Who can forget the donut incident? Damn near brought this franchise to it's knees. Little thug. ; )

I'm sure many of you saw it, but there's a clip of Russell gently calling GT out for that in the SB Sound FX. Paraphrasing, but it was something like, "Hey, on those plays look over and make sure you have the first down, then you can try to make some moves for extra yardage. But make SURE you have the first down..."

I think RW gets my vote for MVP AND Coach of the Year. I already had a mancrush on him, but seeing/hearing how poised & what a leader he was in the biggest game of his career took it to a new level.

HawkWow

Reaction score
SeahawksBMX":z3kxgc12 said:
HawkWow":z3kxgc12 said:
Missing_Clink":z3kxgc12 said:
Anthony!":z3kxgc12 said:

I'm sure many of you saw it, but there's a clip of Russell gently calling GT out for that in the SB Sound FX. Paraphrasing, but it was something like, "Hey, on those plays look over and make sure you have the first down, then you can try to make some moves for extra yardage. But make SURE you have the first down..."

I think RW gets my vote for MVP AND Coach of the Year. I already had a mancrush on him, but seeing/hearing how poised & what a leader he was in the biggest game of his career took it to a new level.

That was a great sound bite. That whole FX thing is just beyond cool. REALLY showed the leader RW is on several occasions. Just before the half, Pete tells him to go burn the clock. Wilson returns to the huddle and sensing the O wanted to move the ball he emphatically announces "OK look, we're going to have a big second half so let's go"...or something to that effect, as they head to the locker room. There is zero question who the leader is on that field when we have the ball. Wilson barks! And does so without reservation or apology. In year 2(?). Just amazing. I say we keep him.

Giblien

Reaction score
If I HAD to pick one, I would want to keep Baldwin. He has just been CLUTCH this season. Not that Tate has been bad, not at all. DB just sticks out to me more.

lukerguy

Reaction score
If Percy gets hurt again Baldwin is the MUST have option. Also I'd like a bit of a taller flanker via draft or a shot on a guy like Britt for cheap.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
Meisha is tough, but I don't think she would outperform Doug on the football field. :sarcasm_off: