Run blocking was really poor

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't know who was making the calls, but Unger was 1 on 1 with Knighton alot and got blown up every time.

Then they kept switching Carp and Mq and you could tell it messed with chemistry b/c guys blew assignments right and left. Double teaming one guy and letting another blow right by.

Okung was bad, getting thrown in the ground by a LB, pushed back in to Russell by 91, lunging and falling on his face.

MkieRob want much better, ran right through a hole, and right past a guy that tackled Lynch.

There were no names in the backfield way too much.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited by the win, but watching it over again,Marshawn 19 runs for less than 40 yards? Denver is NOT that good.

I'm beginning to think maybe Cable is getting too cute with the offensive line blocking schemes and the only thing saving him is Marshawns tree trunk legs.

Watching this game, and the nfccg, blocks the guys chose when away from the LOS were dumbfounding. On a Percy run, Zach blocks a LB and let's the DB get by for the tackle. On a Russell scramble in the nfccg, Unger lets a LB go and chases a DT, result, RW gets blown up. No DT is going to catch Russell, but SFs LBs are another story.

I think there is a lot of work to be done with the offensive line before next year if Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch are going to have any kind of long term success. RW took a beating mid-year, i don't ever want to see that again.

To reiterate, i couldn't be happier about being SuperB Owl Champions! But I don't want a repeat of the poor line play I saw this year because I don't want to go back to the pre-Russell Wilson era.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The Denver rush D is actually pretty good. They are actually just as good as the Seahawks run D, we both tied for #7 in the league.

They were keyed on stopping Marshawn because that is the strength of their Defense.

If we were going to win, it was going to be through the air. And that's where we found most of our success.

I'm not too worried about the poor rushing totals because Denver's rush Defense is actually pretty stout. Yeah, the Seahawks could have blocked better, but Denver is no slouch on the D-line. It's their secondary that is terrible.

warden

Reaction score
HawkFan72":bo16xkzv said:
The Denver rush D is actually pretty good. They are actually just as good as the Seahawks run D, we both tied for #7 in the league.

They were keyed on stopping Marshawn because that is the strength of their Defense.

If we were going to win, it was going to be through the air. And that's where we found most of our success.

I'm not too worried about the poor rushing totals because Denver's rush Defense is actually pretty stout. Yeah, the Seahawks could have blocked better, but Denver is no slouch on the D-line. It's their secondary that is terrible.

Yeah give credit to the opposition, they played great run defense

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Denver has a very downhill, aggressive, active front seven. Zone blocking can get eaten up by that.

In the second half they made some adjustments, and there were quite a few base runs in the first half that were used to open things up in the second half.

Denver sold out to stop the run, and succeeded, but gave up yards through the air and on the perimeter because of it.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I saw what ivotuk saw....our OL was not pushing the Bronco linemen backwards.....nor were they making holes for Marshawn. Seems to me that there were many posters on here during the later part of the season also complaining about the ability of our OL to make the needed holes for our running game. How many times in 2013 did we hear the "cry" for a much needed Offensive Lineman early round Draft pick?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Ohhhj myyyy gooooood really at least let us get through the parade before we revert back to Seattle sports fan mode.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
My 2 biggest disappointments were Okung and Unger. Cable should have had someone helping Unger with "Pot Roast" because there was no way he was taking him on alone, as witnessed in the game.

And Okung did fair most of the time but really got spanked a couple of times which I found very troubling. He lunges for a linebacker and goes down face first. Then he got shoved all the way back in to Russell Wilson by Robert Ayers, a player that has 12 sacks over 5 seasons.

The communication between LT/LG/C seemed off and Marshawn Lynch paid the price for it.

I just don't want to see Russell Wilson get consistently blown up next year like he did this year. IIRC, he was the most pressured QB in the NFL in 2013, and we could tell by his body language. That wreaks havoc on longevity.

I believe we need to see some serious improvement next year.

In the meantime, Go Hawks ! :icon_new:

Throwdown

Reaction score
Denver schemed the hell out of themselves to stop Lynch, probably would've been enough if we didn't have a pro bowl QB notching 3rd down conversions one after another and our defense making their offense look worse than the Jaguars offense in like week 3?

strohmin

Reaction score
Jesus christ..... Thats why we have more than one phase to win the game. Sometimes run game will suck, thats when we have the passing game, special teams and defense to help out.

Cartire

Reaction score
Denver's D was heavily schemed to stop lynch. And they did. And we exploited the crap out of it with our passing game and P. Harvin factor.

Also why we were still passing a lot into the 4th qtr. they wouldn't stop selling out for the run, and so we just kept passing it.

Our o-line did what they could against a team stuffing the box, while be great in the passing game. Russell had the least amount of pressure on him in I can't remember how many games.

Parades tomorrow because were world champs.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Haha if the run blocking was better and we had a competent OC we would have won 122 - 8. Speaking of that 8 our corners need to get better, plain and simple.

:sarcasm_on:

Smellyman

Reaction score
sold out to stop the run and they did. They were good at that all season anyway.

On the flipside, probably the best pass protection seen all year...

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I agree the offensive line took a step back this year but mainly the interior. I have faith in Bowie and Bailey to take over for McQuistan and possibly Giacomini. Another year in the strength program will help them alot becuase I think it is mostly physical with them they both gained alot of experience this season against the toughest competition the NFL has to offer so next year they will be ready. Unger needs to improve i don't know if he was hurt or what but he took a step back this year and was dominated in the superbowl. Swapping a more experienced and stronger Bailey for the ageing McQuistan next year should improve the units athleticism. Sweezy needs to keep improving in all aspects of his game but he is still basically learning the position. Seattle needs depth especially with the game of musical chairs that goes on year to year with our O-line. I expect improvement next year becuase these young guys got some valuable playing time in key situations this season.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1j47dtaa said:
Haha if the run blocking was better and we had a competent OC we would have won 122 - 8. Speaking of that 8 our corners need to get better, plain and simple.

:sarcasm_on:

It's all Greg Knapp's fault.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I agree with folks here saying the Donks are good against the run and sold out to stop Marshawn, but this tem needs a better o-line too. I am very much hoping for a higher draft pick and/or nice FA signing.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
The 49ers defense was pretty clever against our zone blocking in the NFCCG. Their DL lined up sometimes up to a full yard off the ball at the snap which took away our low blocks, and caused chaos.

Nevertheless, we won in ugly fashion.

The Donkeys paid attention and caused similar problems with our ground attack.

But yeah, until we find a decent answer to this kryptonite, I can see problems with the ground game. I really don't think the OL is declining and is to blame AS MUCH as we think, teams have just found an easy way to cause us headaches and will obviously keep at it until we find a way to overcome it.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I'll put it this way - we have a young talented and deep team obviously but that doesn't mean there isn't always ways to improve it or keep it well-oiled for what we all hope is a long run. It's only natural that we are going to look at our weakest area's and hope to get reinforcements in those area's. I'm with the folks that think we could use some reinforcements on the o-line.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Seafan":7ic33pqo said:
Harvin didn't seem to have any trouble running against the Broncs.

That was all off misdirection plays, plus by the team he was done screaming past the scrum the Broncos defenders had no clue what the hell happened.