Run blocking was really poor

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
The Broncos put all their eggs in the stop the run basket and we made omelettes using the frying pan of throwing the ball.

Well it makes sense to me.

pmedic920

Reaction score
This issue in the OP does not worry me much because that is how good offenses work. If a defense takes away one aspect of your game, you hurt them with another. That's what we did. Most of the pre game hype about manning was that he had so many ways to beat you. If fact that's what we did.
Sure they stopped our running attack but we stepped up our passing game, and it worked like a charm. :)

gulliver

Reaction score
A few things:

1. Denver Run D may be adequate, but as many others have pointed out, it helps your Run D #s when your passing offense gets you up by 2-3 scores in the first 20 minutes. Changes teams' plans, and they stop running the ball and start playing catchup. IMO Denver is probably a mid-level Run D.

2. To the folks saying "don't go back into Seattle sports mode," I've been on Cloud 9 since Sunday. No angst here. But I live in the midwest and see local/national media, and it's tough to ignore how little credit is being given to us for the win. I don't think they're "haters," but people wanted to see a nailbiter and they saw a blowout. People here are saying it was a "sh1tty" game, and all the talk I hear is not about how we won, but about how Denver lost. Hard to ignore how much of the country thought of them as the good guys. But I still enjoy it.

3. Agree on the run blocking, but Marshawn is making it harder. At the end of many games we love him for it, but Lynch has stopped powering through the open gap for a guaranteed gain of 3+, and is now trying to make his own holes by running laterally. Add that to poor run blocking, where defenders are getting into the backfield in under 2 seconds and he's getting stuffed behind the LoS on half his run plays.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Throwdown":1iq4i5x7 said:
Seafan":1iq4i5x7 said:
Harvin didn't seem to have any trouble running against the Broncs.

That was all off misdirection plays, plus by the team he was done screaming past the scrum the Broncos defenders had no clue what the hell happened.

yep.... Harvins impact on that game was more than the measurables.

If that game was even remotely close we were going to get to see the full extent of that jet sweep, with Wilson pulling the ball away from Harvin and rolling to the opposite direction while 10 Bronco players swayed towards Percy.

I'm telling you.. Percy made Ponder look like an NFL QB (Peterson ofcourse helped). teams can gear up to stop Lynch, they can spy Wilson, they cant do both AND keep up with Percy

gulliver

Reaction score
pmedic920":2yfvl9y9 said:
This issue in the OP does not worry me much because that is how good offenses work. If a defense takes away one aspect of your game, you hurt them with another. That's what we did. Most of the pre game hype about manning was that he had so many ways to beat you. If fact that's what we did.
Sure they stopped our running attack but we stepped up our passing game, and it worked like a charm. :)
Great point, and this is something the teams we blew out have tried to hang their hat on all season.

Both the Saints and the Broncos are trying to assuage their pain by bragging about stuffing Seattle's run game. Well when you have multiple threats--a scrambling/optioning QB, an elite RB, a passing game, and gadget plays with Percy--you can commit your resources to stop the one that worked for them last game, but that will just open up the other dimensions more.

Once they sell out to stop the run, their fans think "ok, now we just have to shut down Dimensions 2, 3 and 4." Unfortunately for them, it doesn't work like that. Only so many limbs for Twister; only so many thumbs for the dike, to quote the old Dutch story.

And anyway, Lynch got us what we needed. He may have only had 39 yards or whatever it was, but he netted us a TD and a handful of first downs, and took the pressure off Russell and our receivers. Mission accomplished.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1z90mt64 said:
Haha if the run blocking was better and we had a competent OC we would have won 122 - 8. Speaking of that 8 our corners need to get better, plain and simple.

Clearly. Do you think they cut Maxwell immediately after the parade, or wait until the draft?

Largent80

Reaction score
O-Line will be addressed again this year just as it should almost EVERY year. Seems like someone is always hurt or underperforming.

Gone are the days where an O-line remained together for 10-15 years.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Is there another Okung that may still be available in the second round? The Oline has been a source of concern all season. This has to be rectified if we want to maintain superiority over the NFC west. That has to be once again the most important thing for 2014. The question is how much of the current rotation do we stick with? I will reserve judgement on Unger until training camp. His play this year just was not up to par. The Pro-bowl nod had me scratching my head. Injury related or not improvement is necessary here. Okung seemed to regress a bit in the latter stages of the season but he is for the most part healthy now, so I expect him to be the cornerstone of the OL going into 2014. Breno has remarkably been the most consistent one of the bunch this season. Sure there is room for improvement but he has been all that I could have asked for down the stretch once he got healthy. The rest are going to have to compete for their jobs big time once camp gets underway.

45Hawker

Reaction score
Unger did not have a good game at all. Sure, Denver "sold out" to stop the run and maybe that's ultimately why Marshawn struggled. But put scheme aside and re-watch the game - focusing solely on Unger's 1-on-1 matchups. He repeatedly just whiffed his assignment, allowing the guy into the backfield untouched, or got pushed back considerably. The blocking was bad all-around and it wasn't because they were always sending more men than we had blockers. The OL is where I think the team should focus on upgrading/improving this off-season.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Denver's D had some REALLY nice individual efforts to stop runs. At least a few times Trevathan was blocked and made a great play getting free and making the tackle right when the RB got to the line. Lynch got grabbed by his ankles a couple times when he had some space, and a couple others our OL had their fits but Denver just made some nice plays. And yes, a few times we just got blown up. I was pretty impressed by the technique of the Denver front, they played well in individual match-ups.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
It will be very interesting to see if Unger will rebound to 2012 form, because the 2013 Unger probably should have been backing up LJP. He was so terrible in run blocking. Hopefully it was all due to injury

ManBunts

Reaction score
C'mon people, are we really complaining about this? An entire season of doubts, you'd think after winning the Super Bowl you'd let them go for now. They had 8 in the box every time. Their whole defensive game plan was "Stop Lynch". It's not Unger's fault, it's not our OC's. There's a point at which you have to stop blaming people and give credit to the other team.

Besides, if we didn't have a solid o-line our passing game wouldn't have done nearly as well as it did. If we didn't have a creative OC we wouldn't have run the outside sweep, twice, or tried the flea flicker. Yeah it failed this time, but not the first time. So for all the complaints about the O-line, they got the job done and got it done well.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
The boxes always get stacked a lot, we're a smash mouth team why not improve to counteract those defensive fronts? .. sure We might not always dominate and that's fine, Russ will handle that. But I agree with the op, we got spanked around out there. Lynch Would put up crazy stats If he got more consistent holes to run thru.

Any good vet o-lineman available out there looking to go ring chasing?

hawk45

Reaction score
If our run blocking next year was exactly the same as this year I'd be okay. Minus a 4 game stretch we were effective running the ball. I also do not mind much if an opponent wants to devote everything to stopping the run, since we can take advantage of that.

Pass blocking is what I would like to improve next year. Yes, Wilson holds the ball sometimes, but against teams with good front 7s our line just gets demolished. I'm just looking for a slight uptick in performance there and I'd be very happy. Hopefully Unger was injured, because he was abused at times this year, and having him play better would do a lot I think. That and better play at the guard position. On the ends we look pretty good when healthy, but that interior...

Throwdown

Reaction score
Who was it that broke off their block and tossed Marshawn back a yard? ThAt dude impressed me lol

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
ManBunts":1e7qz02d said:
C'mon people, are we really complaining about this? An entire season of doubts, you'd think after winning the Super Bowl you'd let them go for now. They had 8 in the box every time. Their whole defensive game plan was "Stop Lynch". It's not Unger's fault, it's not our OC's. There's a point at which you have to stop blaming people and give credit to the other team.

Besides, if we didn't have a solid o-line our passing game wouldn't have done nearly as well as it did. If we didn't have a creative OC we wouldn't have run the outside sweep, twice, or tried the flea flicker. Yeah it failed this time, but not the first time. So for all the complaints about the O-line, they got the job done and got it done well.
Maybe you're full, but after all these years I want MORE Super Bowls. I'm already wondering how we can improve this team. I"m sure P&J are too.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
I feel like this is the perfect time to whine and bitch about the team! Heck we just won the Super Bowl! It's nothing but constructive criticism!

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Well I guess it's true. No matter how good it is someone will bitch about something. 43-8 and RW not even sacked once. But we sucked?

Glad the OP pointed that out because I would have missed it.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
This team would be unstoppable if we had a top 5 O-Line. Undefeated season.

45Hawker

Reaction score
v1rotv2":7qn1hxmb said:
Well I guess it's true. No matter how good it is someone will bitch about something. 43-8 and RW not even sacked once. But we sucked? Glad the OP pointed that out because I would have missed it.

I don't see how your post contributes to this conversation. If you think the run blocking in the SB was fine/good, then state why.

Latest posts