Denver defense - Overhyped

marko358

Reaction score
I'm getting a little tired about hearing how underrated the Denver defense is. In both playoff games they played against offenses with key missing players. San Diego's powerful rush attack was affected by injury to Matthews and the Patriots' receiving core has been completely decimated. Having a mobile and smart QB, a bruising rush attack and the addition of Harvin, I think we are going to embarrass the Denver D.

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
What's this Jacksonville reject they keep pumpin up, rump roast? How bout that retirement home they call a secondary.

OP
OP
marko358

marko358

Reaction score
They look like they're running in slow motion when comparing them to NFC West defenses.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Harvin is the wild card. If we can keep him on the field and keep him healthy and use him in the capacity we envisioned (kick returns, passing game, running game, decoy) when he signed him, we are going to move the ball and score points.

This game will be CRITICAL to score TDs and not settle for FGs. We have an incredible defense, but Manning is going to put some points on the board, no question.

plyka

Reaction score
marko358":ubmmisws said:
I'm getting a little tired about hearing how underrated the Denver defense is. In both playoff games they played against offenses with key missing players. San Diego's powerful rush attack was affected by injury to Matthews and the Patriots' receiving core has been completely decimated. Having a mobile and smart QB, a bruising rush attack and the addition of Harvin, I think we are going to embarrass the Denver D.

Underrated,lol...Denver's defense is one of the worst in the league. That may be an exaggeration, but let's be frank, they are just not very good. This is exaggerated by the fact that they have played the EASIEST SCHEDULE IN THE NFL!!! How can you have a defense ranked 22nd in points allowed and 19th in yards allowed, when you're playing the easiest schedule in the NFL?

The AFC is just not a good conference. They are down right bad. I truly think that the 2nd best team in the AFC (in their current state) is probably Cincinnati. New England was down right atrocious, the only bright spot being Brady with zero weapons. The Colts are good, but they only have Luck with little weapons. They pulled out some great wins early but seriously fell off a cliff late. I just don't see any other ok teams.

I would rank the teams in the NFL like this:

1) Seahawks
2) 49ers
3) Broncos
4) Saints
5) Carolina
6)Arizona

I'm not even kidding. Out of the top 6 teams in the NFL the AFC gets 1 spot in my book, and even that 3rd ranking seems a bit high. I would probably consider the Saints and the Broncs similar. The Broncos have a slightly better offense, but the Saints have a much better defense.

BamKam

Reaction score
Yea I also love how our offense is struggling by scoring 23 points on good defenses and grinding out the clock.

I like how Russell Wilson "struggled" in the NFC championship game. Besides his initial turnover he played great and made plays when needed while not making mistakes, sorry he isn't chucking the ball for 400 yards and 3 tds, he doesn't need to and that is not how our offense operates.

This Denver defense sure is on fire though against those juggernaut offenses like SD and NE. Their offense is even more impressive (scoring 24 on the 32nd ranked defense! 32nd is really close to being the 4th ranked defense!).

jlwaters1

Reaction score
BamKam":i8hcle7z said:
Yea I also love how our offense is struggling by scoring 23 points on good defenses and grinding out the clock.

I like how Russell Wilson "struggled" in the NFC championship game. Besides his initial turnover he played great and made plays when needed while not making mistakes, sorry he isn't chucking the ball for 400 yards and 3 tds, he doesn't need to and that is not how our offense operates.

This Denver defense sure is on fire though against those juggernaut offenses like SD and NE. Their offense is even more impressive (scoring 24 on the 32nd ranked defense! 32nd is really close to being the 4th ranked defense!).

Yeah Denver scores 26 against NE and they are a brilliant offensive juggernaut. Seattle Scores 23 against a top 5 defense and they are average with a pedestrian set of WR's and a game manager at QB. Go figure. Apparently all these "experts" think YARDS wins games.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
Just to keep this conversation in perspective (not implying this means they're good), stats can be miss leading. ...When you have an offense setting passing records it means the opposing teams are forced to play catchup, I'm inclined to think it's a possibility defenses don't always play their best when up by 20+ points, very likely there was a few cheap meaningless tds scored and that a high octane offense generally means a lack of ball control and leaving your d out there more to get tired out ect.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Hawkalypse":3rtut82m said:
What's this Jacksonville reject they keep pumpin up, rump roast? How bout that retirement home they call a secondary.

Funny you mention that. I was reading one of the Donkey's forums last night and they have a thread about that guy. One of them posted that he was killing it and ranked as the #9 DT in the league by PFF. Two page thread on it calling him the "X-Factor". Funny thing is, not one of them happened to acknowledge that Brandon Mebane is ranked #3 on that same list. If I were them, I would be more concerned with Mebane killing it.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthr ... -Pot-Roast

Most telling point is, Pot Roast has the 2nd highest PFF on Denver's Defense.......

Pot Roast is Killin it!!!

According to Profootballfocus, which rates every play of every player, he was the 2nd best PFF rating on Denver defense and the 9th best Defensive tackle in the NFL!
Go Pot Roast!

Name Team Snaps Overall Rush Cov. Run Pen. # of Pen QB Sk QB Ht QB Hu BP Tks Ass MT St
1 Gerald McCoy TB 985 57.3 53.8 1.5 8.3 -6.3 12-1 10 14 56 3 30 5 4 36
2 Ndamukong Suh DET 913 39.9 36.1 -0.5 8.9 -4.6 9-1 5 13 54 4 34 13 3 33
3 Brandon Mebane SEA 540 36.2 10.9 0.5 22.7 2.1 0-0 0 6 26 1 24 13 1 22
4 Jurrell Casey TEN 891 36.1 28.6 2.0 4.0 1.5 2-0 11 7 36 2 37 7 7 39
5 Damon Harrison NYJ 510 34.8 -3.8 1.0 37.6 0.0 2-1 1 0 9 1 44 13 4 39
6 Marcell Dareus BUF 841 32.4 11.2 2.0 19.2 0.0 3-1 9 4 30 1 49 13 4 45
7 Randy Starks MIA 742 28.8 13.0 -0.5 15.3 1.0 2-0 4 6 30 1 39 9 5 35
8 Jason Hatcher DAL 773 27.3 26.9 0.5 -1.2 1.1 2-0 11 7 33 1 22 8 7 29
9 Terrance Knighton DEN 604 24.1 10.5 0.0 11.7 1.9 1-0 4 5 25 0 22 9 2 22

plyka

Reaction score
Mr.Hawkbrah":2wsfbcjg said:
Just to keep this conversation in perspective (not implying this means they're good), stats can be miss leading. ...When you have an offense setting passing records it means the opposing teams are forced to play catchup, I'm inclined to think it's a possibility defenses don't always play their best when up by 20+ points, very likely there was a few cheap meaningless tds scored and that a high octane offense generally means a lack of ball control and leaving your d out there more to get tired out ect.

I've seen this argument before. It seems like it's one not based on any facts. Let's put some numbers out so we can actually get to the heart of the discussion. The Broncos did have the highest point differential, it was 13 points per game. They beat out their opponents by an average of 13 points per game. So you're saying that this causes your defense to allow more points/yards? Well, let's look at the 2nd place in points differential --the Seahawks. The Seahawks won by an average of 11.7 points per game ---so Denver won by an average of 1.3 points per game more than the Seahawks. So how is it that the Seahawks have the #1 defense by the statistics? How is it that the Seahawks, despite having similar leads in the average game, do not allow it to skew the stats?

Let's be frank, this is the excuse of excuses. Denver's defense just is not very good. Your excuse for them is good unless you dig a little deeper and do a little comparison.

rightbench

Reaction score
when you look at our opponents since our bye:

Saints
Niners
Giants*
Cardinals
Rams
Saints
Niners

I think the Broncos defense is going to feel like a breath of fresh air for our players.
They're gonna line up and realize that they've faced much taller tasks than this and they're gonna go off next Sunday.

themunn

Reaction score
Defenses usually play better in blowouts because the opposition becomes 1 dimensional

themunn

Reaction score
the guy that posted this in response to the sack gif:

This game film must give Wilson indigestion

has obviously never seen Wilson play. He would bolt out to the left and then he has LITERALLY (YES I'M USING LITERALLY M F'N DEAL WITH IT) ACRES of space to run into

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
OP
OP
marko358

marko358

Reaction score
Interceptor":19sj3d9i said:
Who was the best defense Manning has played against all season?
Seattle in the preseason when we whopped their a**.

lsheldon

Reaction score
These are the defenses that Denver has faced. Average ranking is about 20.

Baltimore - 12th ranked defense
New York Giants - 8th ranked defense
Oakland - 22nd ranked defense
Philadelphia - 29th ranked defense
Dallas - 32nd ranked defense
Jacksonville - 27th ranked defense (tied for 27th)
Indy - 20th ranked defense
Washington - 18th ranked defense
San Diego - 23rd ranked defense
Kansas City - 24th ranked defense
New England - 26th ranked defense
Kansas City - 24th ranked defense
Tennessee - 14th ranked defense
San Diego - 23rd ranked defense
Houston - 7th ranked defense
Oakland - 22nd ranked defense

sutz

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":voo06g4e said:
Seattle Opposition
TIME OF POSSESSION 30:32 30:37

Denver Opposition
TIME OF POSSESSION 30:31 30:17

http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=331222034
http://www.seahawks.com/team/statistics.html

I thought this was very interesting as a stat. Taken from the links provided. Lotta data on them links too.
The numbers are Seattle time of possession avg per game and their opposition. Samo samo with Denver line.
Well, there's your answer. Danver's games were 20 seconds shorter than Seattle's. :)