Irvin

BamKam

Reaction score
Didn't really focus on him too much on the game Saturday. How did he end up playing?

ludakrishna

Reaction score
i'm not an expert, but i noticed him in coverage on the TE several times. Seeing how Jimmy was invisible, I would say Bruce did fine.

seadoc30

Reaction score
Only thing i remember is Robinson badly stiff arming him to the ground in a one on one early in the first quarter.

OP
OP
B

BamKam

Reaction score
seadoc30":16yu6ggx said:
Only thing i remember is Robinson badly stiff arming him to the ground in a one on one early in the first quarter.

This is how I feel like most games go for him. You don't really see him making many mistakes but you don't really see him making plays either.

willyum

Reaction score
so what do you guys think now that he has a season as an end and as a linebacker next season what would be better for him/for the team?

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
When we're erasing one of the most dangerous tight ends in the game, you can pretty much bet that Irvin is playing a part in that.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He was solid in coverage, and not bad at all defending the run.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The Saints screen game was non-existent. They gained something like 6 yards on screen passes. They led the league in screens to RBs during the regular season. Give credit to the linebacking core (and probably Kam Chancellor) for that.

The great thing with Bruce is that he's playing within himself and the group. Seems to rarely get exposed. A key cog in the NFL's #1 defense and his speed is an asset out there, even if you don't see it on specific plays.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I think Irvin is playing well enough not be noticed as being a liability. Given its his first year at this position I'd say it's going well. That said I could see Malcolm, Wags and KJ next year and Irvin slides into Clemons role on the Nascar line with Bennet if he can be resigned taking over the starting Leo or Avril.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I'm glad we have his speed out there this time to help contain Kaep from running

Smellyman

Reaction score
He has been good in coverage which was the worry with the switch to LB.

Wish they would use his skills as a pass rusher more often though.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
He's pretty invisible, just up in coverage or in on a few tackles. Seems like he's learning SAM backer ok, but he sure doesn't look like a 15th overall pick out there. Has a Sam 'backer ever been drafted that high? Very questionable use of a first round pick, just like Carpenter

Tmagopis

Reaction score
On one play I noticed Irvin was pressing his man within the 5 yard zone, the Saints looked like they wanted to set a pick but the other Saints WR (I think Colston) actually ran into Bruce ,fell over and the pass was incomplete. Just one play but it was pretty funny looking. He definitely didn't mean to do it.

Zorn76

Reaction score
Irvin is OK.
He's been good in pass coverage, his contributions aren't really gonna be reflected in the box score.
That said, I think his job is open for legit competition if Pete and John decide to go that route during the offseason. I certainly don't see him as being a lock for years to come at LB.

enamel

Reaction score
They used him as a pass rusher late in the game when the zone D wasn't holding up long enough for the pass rush to get home. I thought it was at least notable to see him flexed back into that role against 3 and 4 WR sets.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I saw him getting pressure on Brees too. He isn't getting sacks like last year, but he is making his presence felt on the field and rushing throws.