Forget percy harvin, is christine michael in the doghouse?

bigcc

Reaction score
Caroll mentioned he's "not ready" to get more snaps..... but I have to wonder if its more than simply pass blocking keeping him out instead of turbin

the guys shown he is explosive when he gets the chance to touch the ball, we invested our first actual draft pick on him, yet he doesn't see any snaps, and hasn't gotten a look at KR (this part really boggles my mind), meanwhile turbin has looked very "meh" across the board.

Why not give him a few touches/screen passes throughout the game at ALL this season and see what we really have?

Whens the last time a 2nd round pick has been healthy throughout a season, yet not even given a look (let alone suit up) during the course of a year?

I mean the guy averaged 5 ypc and even had a couple nice receptions IIRC in the preseason, and I realize its been brought up before, but the fact that Pete mentioned it today has me wondering if theres something else going on there.

seahawks08

Reaction score
I think it is time too, but we need to trust the coaches and they put the best players to win. I don't think benching someone when our season is on the line will ever be a reasonable thing to do.

Polaris

Reaction score
I see no reason why Pete Carroll would lie about this. The 'hawks like him, but he hasn't been able to crack the starting roster (yet). Remember that Lynch runs with a punishing style and he's going to break down sooner rather than later (maybe starting as soon as next year). This team is one of the most talented and deepest in the league, and as such it's no suprise that even a second round pick is having trouble cracking the starting roster.

I guess I see him as our RBotF along with Turbin (and frankly I think Turbin's ceiling is lower than Michael's).

I guess I am saying that Pete and John have earned a little trust on this one. If he's not better than Turbin and Lynch, then so be it. I'm willing to take his word on that.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Maybe he fumbles a lot in practice? Anybody's guess really and the blocking stuff is probably speculation as much since we don't get to see him play ever.

OP
OP
B

bigcc

Reaction score
woah woah woah I'm not talking about benching anyone or pushing him up to starter, those are ridiculous ideas.

I'm not even suggesting he be RB 2 over turbin, but why not let him see a few snaps here and there??

It just seems odd to me that he hasn't even cracked the field besides garbage time carries

OP
OP
B

bigcc

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":39cdu301 said:
Maybe he fumbles a lot in practice? Anybody's guess really and the blocking stuff is probably speculation as much since we don't get to see him play ever.

the blocking was pete's reasoning earlier in the year, that's why I mentioned that

if you include his college numbers, preseason numbers, and the few carries he's gotten this year, he has 13 fumbles on 564 touches... I mean thats slightly high but not "keep out of game for this reason" high

EDIT: By comparison, Lynch has 593 rushes the past 2 seasons and had 9 fumbles to give you an idea what that ratio is like

mistaowen

Reaction score
The thing that most confuses me is why not bring him out for kick returns. Leon's role was KR and OCCASIONALLY 3rd down back. We have two FBs most weeks but they barely play as it is (at least over the past few weeks). He doesn't have to try and he's a better returner than Turbin but yet they had no problem watching him bring it out to the 15 yard line every time until he fumbled it on two straight kick returns. Doug looked good when he filled in but with the injuries to our WR core I don't think they will want it to be a consistent thing.

Why not get him game experience at something he is really good at. They don't even have to let him touch the ball on offense. The thought of him being able to break one or at least get us the ball past the 20 should be worth a roster spot IMO.

OP
OP
B

bigcc

Reaction score
mistaowen":1z3q2c30 said:
The thing that most confuses me is why not bring him out for kick returns. Leon's role was KR and OCCASIONALLY 3rd down back. We have two FBs most weeks but they barely play as it is (at least over the past few weeks). He doesn't have to try and he's a better returner than Turbin but yet they had no problem watching him bring it out to the 15 yard line every time until he fumbled it on two straight kick returns. Doug looked good when he filled in but with the injuries to our WR core I don't think they will want it to be a consistent thing.

Why not get him game experience at something he is really good at. They don't even have to let him touch the ball on offense. The thought of him being able to break one or at least get us the ball past the 20 should be worth a roster spot IMO.

to be fair we don't KNOW he's that good on KR as he only did it a few times in college, but after seeing Turbin fail so many times you think they'd try something else, and I agree on Baldwin being too valuable to continue to take that role

EDIT: The only real logic that makes sense to me is that he's slacking off in practice or something along those lines aka in Pete's doghouse

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
bigcc":19e4s5ii said:
ClumsyLurk":19e4s5ii said:

the blocking was pete's reasoning earlier in the year, that's why I mentioned that

if you include his college numbers, preseason numbers, and the few carries he's gotten this year, he has 13 fumbles on 564 touches... I mean thats slightly high but not "keep out of game for this reason" high

EDIT: By comparison, Lynch has 593 rushes the past 2 seasons and had 9 fumbles to give you an idea what that ratio is like
Sorry... I was speaking more to the consensus opinion that his blocking is the reason he isn't playing as being speculative.

OP
OP
B

bigcc

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":o986d4s2 said:
bigcc":o986d4s2 said:
ClumsyLurk":o986d4s2 said:

Sorry... I was speaking more to the consensus opinion that his blocking is the reason he isn't playing as being speculative.

It's one of them, as evidenced in quotes like "Carroll said positive things about Christine Michael’s play in the garbage time Sunday. Said Michael has “exceptional quickness.” As expected, the challenge for Michael is pass blocking. Carroll called Robert Turbin is an “accomplished blocker” and pointed out a linebacker pickup from Sunday. Michael is still learning that and has to improve in all areas, according to Carroll."

But I mean, is Turbin really that great of a blocker? I've seen lynch make some great pickups and catches, I can't say the same for Turbin though... maybe im just not paying enough attention when he's in?

EDIT: Source of quote--- http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks ... y-serious/

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Hmm... Pass blocking likely could be his biggest shortfall, and may others as well beyond running.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Christine Michael has returned 10 kicks in his life for a 21.7 avg. in college. He hasn't been asked to do it since 2010. Turbin's averaging 22.1 yards per return at the pro level.

C-Mike may very well be better guy for the job, but I'm not sure where people get this idea that he's ever been this electrifying return man at any point in the past.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
the thing that confuses me is that the Seahawks likely do not tackle in practices this late in the season-- especially a runningback. how does he fumble in practice that is likely non-contact?

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":2ri8wowe said:
the thing that confuses me is that the Seahawks likely do not tackle in practices this late in the season-- especially a runningback. how does he fumble in practice that is likely non-contact?
I was just pulling that out of my ass. I have no idea.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":vj3x0dnq said:
SoHo9erFan":vj3x0dnq said:
I was just pulling that out of my ass. I have no idea.
oh, my bad.

i thought i have seen news sources also confirming this though

DavidSeven

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":3rs5qaaq said:

I can almost guarantee they have various ball security drills as well as drills designed for the defense to strip the ball. They have an entire day of practice devoted to turnovers.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
seahawks08":o5ejtri3 said:
I think it is time too, but we need to trust the coaches and they put the best players to win. I don't think benching someone when our season is on the line will ever be a reasonable thing to do.
Sean Peyton did it.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
If the same logic was used for SA Alexander would never have played for Holmgren. Some guys just are not good blockers. I don't see the logic in having essentially lynch and 3 fullbacks active.

Watching Turbin run after kickoffs is painful. He has zero moves he just plows ahead and get little or nothing.

Sorry fI am not a huge fan of his. I find him to be a slow plodder with no moves or deception.

OP
OP
B

bigcc

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2ozzkspd said:
Christine Michael has returned 10 kicks in his life for a 21.7 avg. in college. He hasn't been asked to do it since 2010. Turbin's averaging 22.1 yards per return at the pro level.

C-Mike may very well be better guy for the job, but I'm not sure where people get this idea that he's ever been this electrifying return man at any point in the past.

keep in mind kicks in college are usually short so theres less room to run than if you take it 5 yards deep like turbin