Resting starters

kidhawk

Reaction score
Just listening to Pete I nfl network and he as asked about resting starters after we clinch which has been debated here quite a bit. Pete's answer pretty much what I expected and that is that he doesn't just rest starters and that he wants to play ascertain way and that they won't just sit starters just because we clinch

A side note question to anyone else listening... Was the question asked by a kid? It really sounded like it was asked by a 12 year old boy.

warden

Reaction score
Biggest mistake number one seeds make is resting their starters. Lose their momentum and become rusty. Start looking at not playing for 3 weeks, you lose your edge. Do not stop doing what you are doing

seabowl

Reaction score
warden":16stu1a0 said:
Biggest mistake number one seeds make is resting their starters. Lose their momentum and become rusty. Start looking at not playing for 3 weeks, you lose your edge. Do not stop doing what you are doing

It's a risk reward ratio. I would probably play Russell 100% next week and 1st half of last game.

plyka

Reaction score
warden":g1jaegg3 said:

You're taking a MASSIVE risk. I personally would not take it. They will sit for the 1st round bye anyways, what's the p[roblem with an extra week of rest?

Especially when you take into consideration what is at risk. Right now the Seahawks have a VERY GOOD likelyhood of winning the superbowl. That would go up in absolute flames if Wilson was hurt. It would be incredibly damaged if Earl or Sherm or Okung were hurt. Earl plays with reckless abandon, every time there is a tackle to be made, the buy shoots in there like a missle with his head down. It is a recipe for disaster. How many times did Russell get hit today? Each hit presents an opportunity to be injured, to bust a knee or a shoulder or something.

I would sit Wilson without doubt. Earl/Sherm/Okung would all be riding the pine as well. But this is Pete's system and his team, and it's been working. So who am I to say he is wrong?

warden

Reaction score
plyka":2gaozs31 said:
warden":2gaozs31 said:

You're taking a MASSIVE risk. I personally would not take it. They will sit for the 1st round bye anyways, what's the p[roblem with an extra week of rest?

Especially when you take into consideration what is at risk. Right now the Seahawks have a VERY GOOD likelyhood of winning the superbowl. That would go up in absolute flames if Wilson was hurt. It would be incredibly damaged if Earl or Sherm or Okung were hurt. Earl plays with reckless abandon, every time there is a tackle to be made, the buy shoots in there like a missle with his head down. It is a recipe for disaster. How many times did Russell get hit today? Each hit presents an opportunity to be injured, to bust a knee or a shoulder or something.

I would sit Wilson without doubt. Earl/Sherm/Okung would all be riding the pine as well. But this is Pete's system and his team, and it's been working. So who am I to say he is wrong?

Not going to win the Super Bowl if you lose in the playoffs because your players are rusty because of too long of a lay off.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The 2011 Packers dominated the NFL all season then rested starters for three weeks and got blown out by the 9-7 Giants at home. Aaron Rodgers has said he would never sit out a regular season finale again.

sc85sis

Reaction score
What part of Always Compete would lead anyone to think Pete would sit his starters? Yes, he'll likely take them out sooner, but there was never any question that they'd play--at least in my mind.

chris98251

Reaction score
plyka":1qekf7i8 said:
warden":1qekf7i8 said:

That comes off like double condoming, you play afraid and you get hurt, you sit and you lose your edge, teams that rest come out flat, it has been done and proven. You have to keep your edge and competitive juices flowing. Telling your guys your afraid they will get hurt also tells them that you don't think they are smart enough to protect themselves, it tells the rest of the team always compete is just a catch phrase.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Now is the time to protect your starters and try a few things/players that you might not regularly do. If I were Chistine Michael I would be in Pete's ear about now.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
'We will never do that, that's not the way we think...We will never take that approach, we don't believe in that'. That's as concrete as concrete can be. Also, jeez it did sound like a kid!

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":enhk01rc said:
Now is the time to protect your starters and try a few things/players that you might not regularly do. If I were Chistine Michael I would be in Pete's ear about now.

Yes when playing the best in franchise history we should experiment. Why didn't Pete think of this?

joeseahawks

Reaction score
What have we clinched again? I thought we were trying to clinch the overall #1 seed.
We could still finish #5 seed and have to go on the road.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
When will we see Christine Michael get a chance? Lynch seems a bit out of sorts and may need a rest/less reps to keep him fresh. Turbin frustrates the hell out of me, see to go down to easily.

SEAHAWKBLITZ

Reaction score
I hope they play it out. Show no signs of weakness. Rolling into the playoffs as the 1 seed and riding a 16 game home turf win streak would be very intimidating for whoever winds up coming to town. Don't let anyone even harbor the thought that they have a chance to win when they come here.

Seafan

Reaction score
We punted way more than I wanted to see, but the kick returns were just right. If the Hawks can extend more 2nd half drives I can see TJ and others resting these starters.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Seafan":2iscg60k said:
We punted way more than I wanted to see, but the kick returns were just right. If the Hawks can extend more 2nd half drives I can see TJ and others resting these starters.

.....maybe for the 4th quarter with a three score lead.

plyka

Reaction score
chris98251":1k2a9ffr said:
plyka":1k2a9ffr said:
warden":1k2a9ffr said:

That comes off like double condoming, you play afraid and you get hurt, you sit and you lose your edge, teams that rest come out flat, it has been done and proven. You have to keep your edge and competitive juices flowing. Telling your guys your afraid they will get hurt also tells them that you don't think they are smart enough to protect themselves, it tells the rest of the team always compete is just a catch phrase.

That sounds nice and all but its all simple assertions. You claim something has been proven, where are your facts to back ot up? I'm not talking about a single case or even two or three, everyone can find exceptions to prove their point it doesn't mean anything. Also according to your logic, would you rather the hawks got a lower seed so the byepass the first round bye? So they don't get rusty or flat?