Resting starters

plyka

Reaction score
SEAHAWKBLITZ":27dm1sbk said:
I hope they play it out. Show no signs of weakness. Rolling into the playoffs as the 1 seed and riding a 16 game home turf win streak would be very intimidating for whoever winds up coming to town. Don't let anyone even harbor the thought that they have a chance to win when they come here.

Just out of curiosity, how upset would you be if in week 16 in a completely meaningless game Russell Wilson gets sacked and breaks his collar bone like Aaron Rodgers did a few weeks ago? We are assuming the hawks have clinched the number one seed.

Just put yourself un that position right now and ask yourself was it worth the risk?

Reaneypark

Reaction score
I bet everyone will start against STL, but there will be some very short hooks. I'd sure like to see TJack play much of that game. But if I'm Carroll, I want the whole team to prep like it's a regular game, not just the backups.

SEAHAWKBLITZ

Reaction score
Of course I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt. But I still want to win and stay sharp going into the playoffs. But T-Jack may be able to handle the Rams anyway. We'll see. Sacrificing the home win streak for a Super Bowl is ok by me. Can't wait for the playoffs to start. The coaches will decide what they think is best.

Brithawk

Reaction score
Reaneypark":31lvexsp said:
I bet everyone will start against STL, but there will be some very short hooks. I'd sure like to see TJack play much of that game. But if I'm Carroll, I want the whole team to prep like it's a regular game, not just the backups.
I was thinking this yesterday, assuming we win againt the Cards.

Start the Rams game as normal, maybe HT pull Russ, Lynch, Okung, etc for TJack, Turbin/Michael, Bailey.

Same on D pull Bennett, Earl, Sherm

slipwax

Reaction score
I wouldn't want Pete to rest players cause I want them sharp after the bye. That being said, I wouldn't mind lynch getting a little time off cause I imagine he's pretty beat up and I don't think he could get rusty. Tho I doubt lynch would have any of it

Seafan

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2r6nfipj said:
Seafan":2r6nfipj said:
We punted way more than I wanted to see, but the kick returns were just right. If the Hawks can extend more 2nd half drives I can see TJ and others resting these starters.

.....maybe for the 4th quarter with a three score lead.

Locking the #1 seed was implied of course. :th2thumbs:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
plyka":gmylo1o6 said:
warden":gmylo1o6 said:
Biggest mistake number one seeds make is resting their starters. Lose their momentum and become rusty. Start looking at not playing for 3 weeks, you lose your edge. Do not stop doing what you are doing

You're taking a MASSIVE risk. I personally would not take it. They will sit for the 1st round bye anyways, what's the p[roblem with an extra week of rest?

Especially when you take into consideration what is at risk. Right now the Seahawks have a VERY GOOD likelyhood of winning the superbowl. That would go up in absolute flames if Wilson was hurt. It would be incredibly damaged if Earl or Sherm or Okung were hurt. Earl plays with reckless abandon, every time there is a tackle to be made, the buy shoots in there like a missle with his head down. It is a recipe for disaster. How many times did Russell get hit today? Each hit presents an opportunity to be injured, to bust a knee or a shoulder or something.

I would sit Wilson without doubt. Earl/Sherm/Okung would all be riding the pine as well. But this is Pete's system and his team, and it's been working. So who am I to say he is wrong?

Back in 2006 when we were the #1 seed.. we basically were off for 2.5 weeks and came out extremely flat before ultimately pulling it together against an undermanned Redskins team.

Do you want to risk doing that against a San Francisco/Carolina/New Orleans? I sure don't.

I can see MAYBE sitting Lynch for most of it, especially since its unlikely he will catch McCoy for the rushing title, and giving Christine Michael a bulk of the carries. But I think you have to play Wilson at least 3 quarters to keep his timing with the offense on point. And hell, who knows, maybe Percy Harvin plays Week 17 before the playoffs.. which would also allow for some valuable in-game reps between the two.

chris98251

Reaction score
plyka":3md67357 said:
chris98251":3md67357 said:
plyka":3md67357 said:
warden":3md67357 said:
Biggest mistake number one seeds make is resting their starters. Lose their momentum and become rusty. Start looking at not playing for 3 weeks, you lose your edge. Do not stop doing what you are doing

You're taking a MASSIVE risk. I personally would not take it. They will sit for the 1st round bye anyways, what's the p[roblem with an extra week of rest?

Especially when you take into consideration what is at risk. Right now the Seahawks have a VERY GOOD likelyhood of winning the superbowl. That would go up in absolute flames if Wilson was hurt. It would be incredibly damaged if Earl or Sherm or Okung were hurt. Earl plays with reckless abandon, every time there is a tackle to be made, the buy shoots in there like a missle with his head down. It is a recipe for disaster. How many times did Russell get hit today? Each hit presents an opportunity to be injured, to bust a knee or a shoulder or something.

I would sit Wilson without doubt. Earl/Sherm/Okung would all be riding the pine as well. But this is Pete's system and his team, and it's been working. So who am I to say he is wrong?

That comes off like double condoming, you play afraid and you get hurt, you sit and you lose your edge, teams that rest come out flat, it has been done and proven. You have to keep your edge and competitive juices flowing. Telling your guys your afraid they will get hurt also tells them that you don't think they are smart enough to protect themselves, it tells the rest of the team always compete is just a catch phrase.

That sounds nice and all but its all simple assertions. You claim something has been proven, where are your facts to back ot up? I'm not talking about a single case or even two or three, everyone can find exceptions to prove their point it doesn't mean anything. Also according to your logic, would you rather the hawks got a lower seed so the byepass the first round bye? So they don't get rusty or flat?

So examples of 1 ,2, 3, 4, 5, 6, are not enough since you want to cintibue your opinion, most seen the Colts, seen our Seahawks, and there have been others where things are not in sync and they look flat.

Having played sports myself for years time off and coming back you have to find a groove again, that takes time, it also gives the opponents opportunities to take advanatge of a situation. The playoffs are not forgiving in that fashion, you go for the throat, there is no next week.

I don't want to see anyone hurt, but more so I don't want to waste our shot either by playing the what if card.

Zorn76

Reaction score
I get the argument both ways, but side with playing the starters the remainder of the season, even if we clinch everything next week.

That said, if we have a comfortable lead in week 17 against the Rams in the 2nd half then, of course, you pull 'em. But unless that's the case, you play them through.

We'll get 2 weeks off anyway. Don't make it a 3rd. End the season on a winning note, which I think will anyway.

sutz

Reaction score
I think you treat it kind of like pre-season, the 3rd game. Starters play the 1st half, then at least one or two drives in the third quarter.

But that's only if we build a big lead during that time. If the game is still on the line, I don't think you rest many players, even late in the second half. And of course, this doesn't mean much next Sunday. That's still a regular game that we really, really want to win so things are locked up. Then, the only thing we have to worry about in the playoffs, is whether we play Sat or Sun. :)

Latest posts