Our team is like Pittsburgh

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Now...I know this is really hard to hear...but this team reminds me of the Steeler teams back in the days of early Ben. Now, most of this is based on memory so feel free to prove me wrong. Allow me to point out some general reasons:

1) Strength of the team is on defense. Great secondary. Knack for generating red-zone turnovers.

2) Efficient on offense. Good red-zone scoring efficiency. QB can escape trouble and turn disasters into big plays.

3) Excellent special teams all around.

4) Lots of luck. I used to think those Steeler teams were really luck until I watched us play this year. It isn't luck...these players are ready to force and recover fumbles, make interceptions, and come down with miraculous catches.

I'll always hate them...but I have some new respect for those Steeler teams.

Who else has noticed?

nsport

Reaction score
I think that's a great comparison. We are not the Saints/Colts/Patriots of the last decade that tried to outscore opponents - we play solid foundational football. With hard work and focus comes the opportunistic turnovers, effort plays, etc.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
nsport":140ft31h said:
I think that's a great comparison. We are not the Saints/Colts/Patriots of the last decade that tried to outscore opponents - we play solid foundational football. With hard work and focus comes the opportunistic turnovers, effort plays, etc.

When the Patriots were winning Superbowls, their defense was better than their offense.

cdallan

Reaction score
I've been saying the same thing for weeks. I think we are a little better than those Steelers teams, as I think Lynch is better than Bettis was at that stage of his career and Russell is better than R*******berger. There are some really strong comparisons - Thomas is often compared to Polamalu, Tate has been compared to Hines Ward. The good thing is we are built for a cold-weather post-season, a bit like those Steelers teams were as well.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
lol. I've been saying the same thing since late last year!
Mostly at work with all of us 400 yelling/gambling sports wackos on blast all day!
But, we're more like the '05 team rather than all the other teams.
........that hurts a little.

HawkEye

Reaction score
I was going to puke when I saw the title, but that's a good comparison. :thirishdrinkers:

OP
OP
fenderbender123

fenderbender123

Reaction score
TheHawkster":19t4kkhj said:
lol. I've been saying the same thing since late last year!
Mostly at work with all of us 400 yelling/gambling sports wackos on blast all day!
But, we're more like the '05 team rather than all the other team.
........that hurts a little.

I've actually been thinking the same thing since last year too...but this year solidifies the comparison IMO

Cartire

Reaction score
So you're saying we're going to win an undeserved title?

Meh... I'll take it.

The Radish

Reaction score
I think they are becoming more like the 70s stillirs with the exception of the physical size of our QB.

Our guys are hitting like them on defense and getting more like them on offense. If our pass rush continues to improve it will be an easy comparison to make.

I'd like to see a team that could shut out 5 teams in one season. I don't think that's been done since 75. Or was it 76,,,one of those two.

With the rule changes since then its hard to imagine a team doing that or being undefeated. It was easy to be a stillirs fan then because they had been the leagues doormat for years and it was a delight to see the gain with Chuck Noll as their coach.

Is Pete our Chuck Noll? We can only hope.

:les:

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I'm not sure..

5-8
11-2

Well we use the same numeric system, so yeah..

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2pj3svu0 said:
I'm not sure..

5-8
11-2

He said early Ben days as in super bowl XL, and XLIII.

and I agree there is a lot of similarities to our team and theres but I still think we have a slightly better offense when clicking.

BASF

Reaction score
Our team is far too good to be compared with those Stealer teams. We are far more comparable to the '85 Bears team. While we do not have the shutouts that the Bears had, our PPG is pretty comparable. Our special teams are very comparable as the Bears had fantastic coverage that season. McMahon had a really good season spreading the ball around to a lot of average receivers (probably the only one anyone not a Bears fan could name would be Willie Gault who was never really more than a 35 to 40 receptions guy), which is what most of the league sees our receivers as. They used a lot of passes to the outside and kept it out of the middle of the field for the most part just like we have.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2ppkie1f said:
Bobblehead":2ppkie1f said:
I'm not sure..

5-8
11-2

He said early Ben days as in super bowl XL, and XLIII.

and I agree there is a lot of similarities to our team and theres but I still think we have a slightly better offense when clicking.

Damn it..LOL

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
fenderbender123":276mo3jv said:
Now...I know this is really hard to hear...but this team reminds me of the Steeler teams back in the days of early Ben. Now, most of this is based on memory so feel free to prove me wrong. Allow me to point out some general reasons:

1) Strength of the team is on defense. Great secondary. Knack for generating red-zone turnovers.

2) Efficient on offense. Good red-zone scoring efficiency. QB can escape trouble and turn disasters into big plays.

4) Lots of luck. I used to think those Steeler teams were really luck until I watched us play this year. It isn't luck...these players are ready to force and recover fumbles, make interceptions, and come down with miraculous catches.

Who else has noticed?

Wilson's first 2 years rival Roethlisberger's in terms of success as well. Though I think those Steeler teams masked him a lot more whereas Wilson has flat willed us to victory several times already.

It's a good comparison. I'd say this team is more like the Steeler team that beat Arizona. The one that beat us just got hot at the right time and had us collectively shit on ourselves while the refs handled the rest. :mrgreen:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2igstsyv said:

Who else has noticed?
Ban this man! :sarcasm_off:
If the Hawks were like pissburg our "penalty flag defense" would have bailed us out last week for the win.

Emerald12

Reaction score
A few Steelers fans that I'm friends with have actually brought this up with me. Never been big on comparing a current team to an older team, mostly because Football 3-5 years ago is VERY different than what it is now, but if I had to pick a team in recent memory to compare our current team with, it probably would be the early Ben years in Pittsburgh.

Latest posts