Our team is like Pittsburgh

Riley12

Reaction score
As we edge closer and closer to another Superb Owl appearance, my hatred of the Stealers is slowly melting away.

It has helped immensely that they have had a so-so season and their bandwagon has given their Stealer stuff away to Value Village.

ivotuk

Reaction score
nsport":37q1d6bp said:
I think that's a great comparison. We are not the Saints/Colts/Patriots of the last decade that tried to outscore opponents - we play solid foundational football. With hard work and focus comes the opportunistic turnovers, effort plays, etc.

nsport, everytime I see Jack I think of "a massage from your sister." Well not your sister per se... :)

Sac

Reaction score
ivotuk":1khe2tzr said:
nsport":1khe2tzr said:
I think that's a great comparison. We are not the Saints/Colts/Patriots of the last decade that tried to outscore opponents - we play solid foundational football. With hard work and focus comes the opportunistic turnovers, effort plays, etc.

nsport, everytime I see Jack I think of "a massage from your sister." Well not your sister per se... :)

uyd2.gif

sutz

Reaction score
I made this comparison myself in a recent thread comparing Wilson to other QBs. I didn't compare Russ to Rottisbooger, but I do see how they walked into very similar situations, with the team having a strong D, solid running game already in place, and good ST.

I don't like to make the comparison, but it is there. As much as we don't like it around here, Pitiesburgh was on a playoff tear for a while and won a couple of SBs. If we do that, I don't much care what anybody says about our team.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2nux8ieq said:
Now...I know this is really hard to hear...but this team reminds me of the Steeler teams back in the days of early Ben. Now, most of this is based on memory so feel free to prove me wrong. Allow me to point out some general reasons:

1) Strength of the team is on defense. Great secondary. Knack for generating red-zone turnovers.

2) Efficient on offense. Good red-zone scoring efficiency. QB can escape trouble and turn disasters into bi
g plays.

3) Excellent special teams all around.

4) Lots of luck. I used to think those Steeler teams were really luck until I watched us play this year. It isn't luck...these players are ready to force and recover fumbles, make interceptions, and come down with miraculous catches.

I'll always hate them...but I have some new respect for those Steeler teams.

Who else has noticed?
Well this sucks given Wilson is better at life than Rothliesburger and even Hines Ward admits Golden Tate is as big a pest as himself....my personal comp is to Fran Tarkenton.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I'm kinda late to the party, but I'll go ahead and chime in anyway. Pittsburgh from a few years ago (with Polamalu, Hines Ward, etc.) is a pretty good comparison IMO ... but there's another team that I'm really thinking of that the Seahawks compare to -- (and I can't believe I'm saying this because I absolutely can't stand 'em) -- those Raiders teams of the 1970's. They had an Absolutely NASTY punishing defense (guys like Jack Tatum and George Atkinson) who would look to literally knock you out. Also the old classic Silver and Black attack was to run, run, run the ball -- pound you in to submission ... and then drop back with Kenny Stabler and connect on the long bomb to guys like Cliff Branch. To me, there are a lot of elements of those old Raiders teams in these current Seahawks. Remember, Pete Carroll played as a FS in college in the Bay Area and got his start coaching there as well. Carroll talked about that fact awhile back that his ideas about defensive backs and what a DB is supposed to look like ... came from watching those Raiders teams and guys like Tatum. So to me, there's a lot of those old Raiders (at least in philosophy) in the current Seahawks as well. I don't think that's a coincidence, as there's a part of me that believes Pete has tried to re-create that in some form or another.