Russel Wilson Football Outsiders article --and what it shows

Laloosh

Reaction score
That was great, thanks.

I know we've incorporated the quick passing game but was surprised to see FO classify our offense as being centered on the short passing / screen game.

Curious what others think about that.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Great article. Not just because it calls Wilson elite and predicts he'll become the best QB in the league, either.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It was a decent article, and the target graph was real cool. It really does back up the notion that Seattle does not target the middle of the field.

I don't care about MVP awards. I just don't. Super Bowl MVP? That's one I want Russell to win.

I am content knowing that Russell makes the players around him better.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":p0ldyax2 said:
That was great, thanks.

I know we've incorporated the quick passing game but was surprised to see FO classify our offense as being centered on the short passing / screen game.

Curious what others think about that.

Seattle runs a fair amount of WR screens rather than RB screens.

ceej22

Reaction score
Scottemojo":tfm6vhjq said:
It was a decent article, and the target graph was real cool. It really does back up the notion that Seattle does not target the middle of the field.

I don't care about MVP awards. I just don't. Super Bowl MVP? That's one I want Russell to win.

I want Lynch to win this one. Wilson can get his in 2015.

Laloosh

Reaction score
ceej22":396zyx57 said:
Scottemojo":396zyx57 said:

I want Lynch to win this one. Wilson can get his in 2015.

In Levi Stadium? Fitting...

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Even if he's not today, it appears inevitable that Russell Wilson will someday be the best quarterback in the NFL.

I doubt the chills down my spine and the smile on my face that comes with thinking about the Seahawks having an elite QB will EVER stop!

plyka

Reaction score
Great article on Wilson.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-r ... ell-wilson

But what does it tell me? It tells me Wilson is incredible. This much is obvious and is intended to be the main point of the article --which everyone in the world agrees with. But it also tells me that Bevell and or Wilson are not taking advantage of the entire field. I've had a few gripes all season regarding the seahawk offense --none of them have been Wilson's play which has been outrageous. My 2 main complaints have been:
(1)the Seahawks refusal to take more risks --they believe in their idealogy of eliminate TO's at all costs, run run run, play conservative, reduce the number of possession, play field position and rely on your defense. Well, this anti-risk stance is not always the wise choice --you have two variables risk versus reward. You should take risks up to your marginal cost justifies when taking into consideration marginal benefit or reward. And this offense just does not take enough risks --as outlined by another poster in another thread, where he pointed out Wilson has the 17th most yards of any QB but is rated in the top 3 when you take averages into account (yards per attempt, completion %, points per attempt, etc). This is just one series of stats, alone it may mean nothing, but put together with what we see, goes to show that Wilson is being underutilized and that there are not enough risks being taken with the offense.

(2) The Seahawks are not utilizing the middle of the field, or the intermediate pass routes. This can be seen from this great picture put up in the football outsiders article. It shows all of Wilson's accurate and inaccurate passes over the entire year --but look at the middle of the field, in the intermediate passing range. It's almost completely EMPTY! They love to pass to the sides of the field, they even pass it in the intermediate range to the sides of the field. But the intermediate range in the middle of the field is COMPLETELY empty. Although this was not a major point in the article, this was my major take away from this picture. It is unbeleivable to me how little they use the middle of the field, especially on intermediate routes. I don't understand why. Perhaps I'm making a mistake with the picture and how it is set up, as I can't fathom why the middle of the field is so empty with attempts.

FilmRoom 12122013 01

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
My biggest complaint/concern all year has been about the lack of passing between the hashes, and it was killing us mid-season when teams started blitzing us every down. Fortunately our pass pro has improved/got healthy so it's impact has been minimized, but one must wonder if there is a height element involved. We've started running more slants, but it's been plainly obvious all year that the defense may as well not even worry about covering between the hashes.

Seaswab

Reaction score
Maybe it's because Wilson can't see the middle of the field?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":2xm82o3g said:
Even if he's not today, it appears inevitable that Russell Wilson will someday be the best quarterback in the NFL.

I doubt the chills down my spine and the smile on my face that comes with thinking about the Seahawks having an elite QB will EVER stop!
:13: After 38 years, we FINALLY got one!

plyka

Reaction score
I thought about the height issue as well. One major time when height obviously caused a HUGE error was the Tampa game, on the go ahead TD when Wilson attempted a quick pass to the TE from the 3 yard line and was intercepted. Obviously height caused a problem on that pass.

But if you look at the picture, there are some middle passes, but they are short passes. It's the intermediate middle that is almost completely empty. And height would be much more of a concern for short middle passes versus intermediate middle passes, due to the angles involved.

Also, if height was the issue, we would see a higher ratio of inaccurate versus accurate passes in the middle --just going by the eyetest, the ration looks about the same (for what few passes there are over the middle).

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I have a hunch that most interceptions are in the middle of the field. The sideline of the field provide protection from that angle, and so only one defensive player can make a play on the ball.

Concerning the intermediate depth throws, the run sets up the pass, and if we passed more, perhaps these routes would be better defended. Play-action sets up a lot of RW's successful passes.

I don't have stats to back this up, however, so everything I've said is probably moot.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
There's also the concern about getting one of your receivers absolutely lit up by the opponents' safeties... potentially resulting in injury, interceptions and/or fumbles.

I believe that the intermediate and deep middle are more turnover-prone areas to attack a defense.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Funny, I think it was Kearly that had a post a while back about thinking you knew something about football, then looking at some research and realized you know nothing.

That's how I felt looking at that graph. The last few games, we've obviously thrown more quick slants and screens, but it seemed like there was a time when we weren't, and we were all blasting Bevell for it.

Then you look at the chart and realize how wrong we were. I love reading stuff like this; it makes me feel a bit more football smart.