Russel Wilson Football Outsiders article --and what it shows

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Seaswab":jd6qb5xp said:
Maybe it's because Wilson can't see the middle of the field?

I actually think your right. He has to find throwing lanes, he admits it. People say things like "yeah peyton manning isn't 6"7 he can't see over every lineman." Thats not true, lineman always are crouched looking for leverage, the main point is the center and guards even crouched its doubtful Wilson can see over 6"5-6"3 interior lineman.

Looking at that chart scares the crap out of me, I really hope teams don't find a way to exploit that.

BASF

Reaction score
Teams will not find a way to exploit this. The only thing that a team could do is move their safety duo further towards the sideline which would open the middle of the field. A lot of times teams play a single high safety against us to get their SS near the line of scrimmage to help against Lynch, so the receivers have the advantage in the red line area. I think a big part of this is the quality of defenses, specifically LB's that we have faced this season. We have played some very athletic groups of LB's that are dropping into coverage and are waiting to light up our guys over the middle.

Also, teams that use the intermediate middle often have a speed guy on the outside pushing the safeties deeper. This clears out the intermediate middle for guys like our receivers to make catches on slants, posts, hooks, deep ins and get yards after those catches. With safeties not going so deep because they don't have to respect our receivers speed, you aren't getting those open areas. It is why Mike Wallace is kind of upset in Miami, he was being used in their play designs to run the safeties out of the middle while the possession receivers were getting those intermediate middle routes.

Latest posts