Florio calls Sherman a "cheap shot artist"

fenderbender123

Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ot-artist/

Sherman also likely will be fined. And he’ll likely find a way to whine and complain about it, painting himself as the victim even though he’s clearly in the wrong.

Mmmmm his tears taste so good. I LOVE IT!

We're finally that team that everyone hates because we're so good!!!!!

But seriously this guy needs to learn the rules. Perfectly legal hit.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
Meh. When the QB is out of the pocket, WR's should be able to be hit. Sherman was penalized for doing it better than most....

ensett

Reaction score
"cheap shot" and "dirty" have become such buzz words, they dont even mean anything anymore

KK84

Reaction score
Sherman just got a little too excited from injecting too many marijuanas and smoking adderall.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, after the zebras had another post flag conference and figured out that it couldn't be illegal contact or something, they decided to pull their handy-dandy "personal foul" trump card out instead of just picking up the flag.... of course they were already sensing that the Hawks needed "slowin' down" at that point...

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The NFL has decided that it's only ok to hit QB's who have the ability to possibly run for a fist down. Those QB's don't actually have to be carrying the ball when they are hit either.

Anyway ...I think the thing with Sherm is intimidation. He is getting in the guys head.

strohmin

Reaction score
I would consider it a "legal cheap shot." He still shouldn't have been flagged.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Yes it absolutely was a cheap shot. You just can't do that in the game of tickle football.

I screamed at the top of my lungs on this call. How is he a defenseless receiver when the ball was not thrown anywhere near him? Sorry NFL but once the ball is in the air if you are not the target, you are a blocker and subject to being hit. Making calls like that one destroys the integrity of the game. I understand you want safety and all but that doesn't change it was a legal hit on a would be blocker.

Now watch the NFL fine Sherman. I think I will come unglued if that happens.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
strohmin":2anj023n said:
I would consider it a "legal cheap shot." He still shouldn't have been flagged.

agreed... and i think a rule change is coming.

Still, suspension and fine discussions are ridiculous. 15 yard penalty (and even that is subjective)

RiverDog

Reaction score
It was a stupid penalty and Sherman deserves a stiff fine. Hopefully he won't get suspended for it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did. The play was over, not even anywhere near Sherman and the receiver was just standing there, not involved in the play. But I'm not going to call him a cheap shot artist.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
RiverDog":1t8kndwj said:
It was a stupid penalty and Sherman deserves a stiff fine. Hopefully he won't get suspended for it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did. The play was over, not even anywhere near Sherman and the receiver was just standing there, not involved in the play. But I'm not going to call him a cheap shot artist.

The play was over? Even though when Sherman hit the receiver while the ball was currently in the air? Have to disagree with you completely.

Did he have to take the shot? Nope but it doesn't change the rule that once the ball is in the air anyone not being targeted for the catch is now a blocker. If your going to change that then you need to change the rules saying receivers cannot become blockers down field.

Will they fine him? I don't know but that is only because the NFL is trying to turn the game into tickle football. Not because the hit was even remotely questionable.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
RiverDog":1mjidi00 said:

This post brings 'clueless' to a new level.

rastahawk

Reaction score
Lesson for all your aspiring wide receivers, don't let your guard down until the whistle blows.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2tl8dzmu said:
RiverDog":2tl8dzmu said:

This post brings 'clueless' to a new level.

easy... the whole play was subjective. some are going to see it one way, others another. Sherman was trying to take advantage of a rule (or lack of) that allows defensive players to hit offensive players when the QB is on the run.

There's no argument that he took a run at a guy not paying attention. I dont see it a big deal. but i can see how others do.

253hawk

Reaction score
Why in the world would Sherman be fined or suspended? Stills isn't getting paid to stand around and do nothing. As long as the play is live, he's an active blocker and a live body to be hit. If he had actually been giving some effort on the play and moving his feet, it would have been a clean shot. But because he was standing there like a useless blob, it just made him look more like a victimized target.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
I don't really care how "rough" he was. He delivered a forearm shiver to a player in a legal manner. The rulebook doesn't say you can hit the guy, only if you do it gently.

In fact, here is the rule book. Available to everyone online, maybe Florio, and everyone else calling Sherman out, should actually learn the rules before writing such ignorant, scathing articles and posts.

Rule 8 - Forward Pass, Backward Pass, Fumble
Section 4 - Legal and Illegal Contact with Eligible Receivers
Article 7 - End of Restrictions

If the quarterback or the receiver of the snap demonstrates no further intention to pass the ball (i.e., hands off or pitches the ball to another back, throws a forward or backward pass, loses possession of the ball by a muff that touches the ground or a fumble, or if he is tackled, the restrictions on the defensive team prohibiting illegal contact, an illegal cut block, or defensive holding against an offensive receiver will end. If the quarterback leaves the pocket area with the ball in his possession, the restrictions on illegal contact and an illegal cut block both end, but the restriction on defensive holding remains in effect.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
So, he had released the ball AND he was out of the pocket. Florio is an a$$hat and it's articles like this that perpetuate the idea that the Seahawks are dirty.

No, they're just physical and play within the rules. Too bad the officials don't even know them

Wartooth

Reaction score
Florio simply wants clicks on the site, and any story related to the Hawks brings out the rabid haters.
Especially stories about Sherm...I find it comical myself.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":iidxf896 said:

I'd say that's a bit* over the top.

(*Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay)