Florio calls Sherman a "cheap shot artist"

BamKam

Reaction score
Come on guys if any other defense did that to us this board would be outraged.

TJH

Reaction score
BamKam":1v5zzs40 said:

Absolutely. Nobody here would every admit that though.

ManBunts

Reaction score
Speaking of cheap shots, I can't find a replay, but has anyone seen any talk of Brees' whiny little acting job when his helmet got flicked? I used to think he was a classy player, but after the Brooks hit where he "expected the flag" and then this bit of shenanigans, seems like he's put himself on a pedestal. It was a pleasure to see him get knocked off last night

CANHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":37j82vvp said:
CEHawk":37j82vvp said:
RiverDog":37j82vvp said:
It was a stupid penalty and Sherman deserves a stiff fine. Hopefully he won't get suspended for it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did. The play was over, not even anywhere near Sherman and the receiver was just standing there, not involved in the play. But I'm not going to call him a cheap shot artist.

Not even a subjective call. The Seahawks corners have been coached to make these hits, and coached well. It was a completely legal hit and takes that receiver out of the play as a blocker. I believe Pete Carroll talked about this when Browner made a similar hit on Greg Jennings with no flag. Totally legal hit that SHOULD be made.

There's a difference between being physical all the way through the whistle and blowing someone up, Sherman did the latter. It's deemed excessive, thus the penalty.

No dude, he's a football player on a football field and the whistle hadn't blown yet. EVERYONE is fair game. Stills was taking a stroll through the park and got blown up because he wasn't watching what he was doing. He got what he got; a clean, hard, legal hit. That's football. If he was paying attention (ie. doing his job) he would have braced for it and it would have been a total non-event. You're taught to keep your head on a swivel from the first day you put on a helmet. Kenny clearly forgot that lesson. Sherm shouldn't get penalized because Kenny decided to take the day off...

HawkWow

Reaction score
Uncle Si":27xb2rga said:
HawKnPeppa":27xb2rga said:
RiverDog":27xb2rga said:
It was a stupid penalty and Sherman deserves a stiff fine. Hopefully he won't get suspended for it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did. The play was over, not even anywhere near Sherman and the receiver was just standing there, not involved in the play. But I'm not going to call him a cheap shot artist.

This post brings 'clueless' to a new level.

easy... the whole play was subjective. some are going to see it one way, others another. Sherman was trying to take advantage of a rule (or lack of) that allows defensive players to hit offensive players when the QB is on the run.

There's no argument that he took a run at a guy not paying attention. I dont see it a big deal. but i can see how others do.

Excellent post. Certainly Sherm acted within the rules... but did he "rough unnecessarily"? I suppose he was a bit over the top (in today's NFL). Sherm would be wise next time to take the guy out of the play without looking for a highlight reel hit (sad to say).

Not many of us liked the call and few want this diluting of the sport, but had we been on the other side of that call, most would have enjoyed it more. I think.

253hawk

Reaction score
Our WR's are physical and don't stand around with their arms at their sides in the end zone. They'd have been looking around for someone to light up or come back to the QB if Russ started to take off.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1qudiwyt said:
CEHawk":1qudiwyt said:
RiverDog":1qudiwyt said:

Not even a subjective call. The Seahawks corners have been coached to make these hits, and coached well. It was a completely legal hit and takes that receiver out of the play as a blocker. I believe Pete Carroll talked about this when Browner made a similar hit on Greg Jennings with no flag. Totally legal hit that SHOULD be made.

There's a difference between being physical all the way through the whistle and blowing someone up, Sherman did the latter. It's deemed excessive, thus the penalty.
You've just given a rationalization that could be put into a dictionary to show one being subjective. Rules is rules. I can see mojo's point about why the call was made. But, in that the officials are still being subjective with objective rules - molding and bending the set rules to possibly even help a team that is being out coached and out played. If the NFL doesn't like it, they need to change the rules and not penalize the Seahawks for it. If you don't like Sherman's play, then you have a problem with the team philosophy and thus... you are not really a fan of how the Seahawks coach their players to play the collision sport of football.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sherman got away with a very similar move on Boldin earlier this year. Those hits happen every game outside the camera and only make to news cycle if the refs catch it.

Starrman44

Reaction score
I dislike how soft the NFL is getting. I think that if they don't like the hit, than the NFL needs to address it in the rule book.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
I at first thought it was after the play and couldn't believe he did it. Now I see it was still during the play so it shouldn't have been called. A heck of a hit though.

mikeak

Reaction score
I don't have the game on tape - could anyone review this?

I was fine with the hit because as I saw it Brees was scrambling (so left the pocket) but had not thrown the pass. Sherman hit the receiver to make sure he was taken out of the play.

So I specificially thought the receiver was still involved in the game and that was the purpose for it.

If the pass had been thrown then I think it was unnecessary.

I do 100% agree with the comments though that the refs were going to flag him for something and when they realized Brees was not in the pocket (which Sherman pointed out to them) they just came with the 15 yarder that they can call for somebody breathing to heavily on the field........

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
RiverDog":ydhvau7k said:
RichNhansom":ydhvau7k said:
RiverDog":ydhvau7k said:

The play was over? Even though when Sherman hit the receiver while the ball was currently in the air? Have to disagree with you completely.

Did he have to take the shot? Nope but it doesn't change the rule that once the ball is in the air anyone not being targeted for the catch is now a blocker. If your going to change that then you need to change the rules saying receivers cannot become blockers down field.

Will they fine him? I don't know but that is only because the NFL is trying to turn the game into tickle football. Not because the hit was even remotely questionable.

I can understand if Sherman couldn't see if the play was over or not, but he could see that the receiver had clearly given up on the play and it was obvious he wasn't going to be involved. All he had to do was nudge him out of bounds if he wasn't sure the pass was going to be close. No way did he have to unload on him like that.

Mark my words, he'll get a fine for it.
Nudge? Really? That sort of play stops players short of fulfilling their dreams to make an NFL roster. That's not how players are coached... and for good reason. It's entirely possible that if Sherman didn't see the play was over, that removing a player from the play like that could have served to prevent a teammate from getting hit in the same fashion.

Sherman is a professional football player. Arguably the best at his position. If Troy Palomalu made a hit like that, the announcers and everyone else would be applauding him for his physical play and intimidation. I'll grant that seeing it was shocking. Getting hit will look like that at times. Players like Clay Matthews (et all) receive high praise for blowing players up. If it's legal, it's legal. My opinion is that is where the officials should not step over their bounds. Leave it to the players to work out on the field. Sherman didn't try to destroy his knees or otherwise take away his livelihood. To me, that's the line between cheap and legally blowing up another player.

253hawk

Reaction score
Browner did it last year to Greg Jennings, but I don't remember if he got flagged purely for that or the wrestling match that occurred afterwards when Jennings tried to jump on him and failed. That got on offsetting flag and was early in the game; I think LOB just likes to get in WR's heads by being more physical than they are used to.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
KK84":uchhfxmh said:
Sherman just got a little too excited from injecting too many marijuanas and smoking adderall.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :th2thumbs:

BullHawk33

Reaction score
This isn't the first time something like this has happened. Browner got called for a similar hit earlier for what he thought was an uncatchable pass. It looks like our defense tries to catch the opponents off guard to get into their head, whether it is for this game or the next, they will remember and be affected by it. Sherman nailed one receiver earlier this year and then got popped by that same receiver (maybe Fitz?) on a reception to which he gave him a deserved pat on the back. They give it and they take it.

I can't say I like what Sherman did, but I can see why he did it. Receivers will be a bit gun shy from the shots they take. Advantage Seahawks.

CANHawk

Reaction score
mikeak":16b8tffx said:
I don't have the game on tape - could anyone review this?

I was fine with the hit because as I saw it Brees was scrambling (so left the pocket) but had not thrown the pass. Sherman hit the receiver to make sure he was taken out of the play.
So I specificially thought the receiver was still involved in the game and that was the purpose for it.

If the pass had been thrown then I think it was unnecessary.

I do 100% agree with the comments though that the refs were going to flag him for something and when they realized Brees was not in the pocket (which Sherman pointed out to them) they just came with the 15 yarder that they can call for somebody breathing to heavily on the field........

Taking recievers out of the play isn't the reason for the rule, but that is exactly why the Seahawks DB's are coached to do it. If the NFL doesn't like it, change the rules for down field blocking. As it is, that hit was 100% within the context of the rules. Bullshit call.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
TJH":36jmzc7a said:
BamKam":36jmzc7a said:

Absolutely. Nobody here would every admit that though.
I would not be outraged. You don't have to speak for me, thank you. This is the same sort of thing that I see occasionally during youth football on the weekends. Someone sees a vicious hit and they immediately cry foul. If one of our players legally got blown up, I may not like it... but, if it's legal, it's legal.

I like the attitude and mentality of players like Andrew Luck these days. You hear him when "mic'd up" at times even complimenting players that blow him up.

This is a collision sport. It's not for the faint of heart. The guy got up just fine. Sherman didn't seek to end his career. THAT sort of play would outrage me.

CANHawk

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":34t5sz27 said:
RiverDog":34t5sz27 said:
RichNhansom":34t5sz27 said:
RiverDog":34t5sz27 said:

The play was over? Even though when Sherman hit the receiver while the ball was currently in the air? Have to disagree with you completely.

Did he have to take the shot? Nope but it doesn't change the rule that once the ball is in the air anyone not being targeted for the catch is now a blocker. If your going to change that then you need to change the rules saying receivers cannot become blockers down field.

Will they fine him? I don't know but that is only because the NFL is trying to turn the game into tickle football. Not because the hit was even remotely questionable.

I can understand if Sherman couldn't see if the play was over or not, but he could see that the receiver had clearly given up on the play and it was obvious he wasn't going to be involved. All he had to do was nudge him out of bounds if he wasn't sure the pass was going to be close. No way did he have to unload on him like that.

Mark my words, he'll get a fine for it.
Nudge? Really? That sort of play stops players short of fulfilling their dreams to make an NFL roster. That's not how players are coached... and for good reason. It's entirely possible that if Sherman didn't see the play was over, that removing a player from the play like that could have served to prevent a teammate from getting hit in the same fashion.

Sherman is a professional football player. Arguably the best at his position. If Troy Palomalu made a hit like that, the announcers and everyone else would be applauding him for his physical play and intimidation. I'll grant that seeing it was shocking. Getting hit will look like that at times. Players like Clay Matthews (et all) receive high praise for blowing players up. If it's legal, it's legal. My opinion is that is where the officials should not step over their bounds. Leave it to the players to work out on the field. Sherman didn't try to destroy his knees or otherwise take away his livelihood. To me, that's the line between cheap and legally blowing up another player.

Kids... the play wasn't over. Play to the whistle. I learned that when I was 9. If you want to go for a walk, buy a dog. We play football on football fields!

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
ManBunts":tjf7my37 said:
Speaking of cheap shots, I can't find a replay, but has anyone seen any talk of Brees' whiny little acting job when his helmet got flicked? I used to think he was a classy player, but after the Brooks hit where he "expected the flag" and then this bit of shenanigans, seems like he's put himself on a pedestal. It was a pleasure to see him get knocked off last night
Brees is first rate. Unless I'm missing something, he was doing his job and merely pleased to get the call. He would take any advantageous call he could get at that point.