Article - espn insider - Has Wilson surpassed luck?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
"Good ol' Sando" isn't "fighting the good fight" for anyone.

He consistently goes out of his way to explain the he's not a fan. That's why this article, and position he's been taking on Russell Wilson lately is all the more impressive. Sando's very stingy when it comes to passing out praise. That's why I get a good feeling when I see him going beyond his normal reporting style (very subjective) to single out some of the remarkable think Wilson has done this season. One such accomplishment he emphasized during a phone interview with one of our local stations was that Wilson consistently delivered well-above average to great QB performances behind a terrible OL. He went on to say there are not many QB in the league that can do that. That kind of praise is uncommon coming from Sando.

drdiags

Reaction score
As he mentioned in his ESPN 710 interview, the GM he spoke with still selected Luck as the QB he would choose for the future. The height thing is just something this GM and others couldn't get over.

The article has the same arguments fans have had on this forum. The FO folks all point out to how much more tools Wilson has that Luck doesn't as far as RB and defense. It also offered reasons Luck is having problems because Wayne is hurt. So if these type of arguments get in your craw, be prepared for more of the same with this insider article.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
drdiags":bdeotk0e said:
As he mentioned in his ESPN 710 interview, the GM he spoke with still selected Luck as the QB he would choose for the future. The height thing is just something this GM and others couldn't get over.

The article has the same arguments fans have had on this forum. The FO folks all point out to how much more tools Wilson has that Luck doesn't as far as RB and defense. It also offered reasons Luck is having problems because Wayne is hurt. So if these type of arguments get in your craw, be prepared for more of the same with this insider article.

Which is why I think those arguments are warrantless. The people in the media prone to damning Wilson with faint praise always point out everything that Seattle has in addition to Wilson, such as the running game and defense. However, they flat out ignore that Wilson has spent most of this season behind half of an offensive line, hasn't had Harvin, and barely had Sidney Rice. And yet he has still led Seattle to a 10-1 record and has managed to make plays even when absolutely nothing else on this team was working (as evidenced by the Rams game.) Luck, on the other hand, has suffered noticeably since Reggie Wayne got hurt, and yet that somehow makes him a BETTER quarterback?

Honestly, I think you hit it on the head when you said that the height thing is something this GM and others can't get over. They couldn't believe a quarterback who is only 5'10 5/8" would be successful in the NFL, and now that he is they can't fathom it and make excuses for his success while excusing others.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2umirt4n said:

He consistently goes out of his way to explain the he's not a fan. That's why this article, and position he's been taking on Russell Wilson lately is all the more impressive. Sando's very stingy when it comes to passing out praise. That's why I get a good feeling when I see him going beyond his normal reporting style (very subjective) to single out some of the remarkable think Wilson has done this season. One such accomplishment he emphasized during a phone interview with one of our local stations was that Wilson consistently delivered well-above average to great QB performances behind a terrible OL. He went on to say there are not many QB in the league that can do that. That kind of praise is uncommon coming from Sando.

No it's snot. Remember Sando covered us...for ever.

Wee-Bey

Reaction score
He's always been ahead of him, a couple young QB's have been. I'd take Wilson and Cam over Luck without much hesitation.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Wee-Bey":2yq8id40 said:
He's always been ahead of him, a couple young QB's have been. I'd take Wilson and Cam over Luck without much hesitation.

No way I'd take Cam over Luck. They can all play the position well, but Cam lacks that leadership quality that matters so much. People will get at it any way they can for Wilson, Luck, etc. It's not as bad as a Mike Vic scenario, but teams don't seem to rally around that kind of cat, no matter the talent level. See RGIII as another fine example of this.

Wilson and Luck were the guys from their draft and time will prove that. Personally, I don't need people to say or think Wilson is better. I'll be happy watching Rusty hoist the Lombardi above his 5'10" body long before I see Luck doing it--and talent aside, we've faced as much adversity as ANYONE. The separation is in the preparation and 100 yards is 100 yards. Tremendous!

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Luck is both fantastic and likable, and I'm not sure why being a fan of Wilson leads one to want to denigrate Luck. Wilson's production is a bit better to this point, but he's also in a considerably better situation. Hard for me to imagine that Luck wouldn't have the superior numbers if you transplanted Luck into our offense and Wilson into theirs.

I think it's a close question between the two, and especially as we only have to deal with the Colts once every four years (barring a Super Bowl meeting), I don't know that it matters too much which one is better given how close it is. We're just not going to get enough head-to-head matchups between these two for it to be a Brady-Manning type of thing for the next generation.

drdiags

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":xts2mfj3 said:
Honestly, I think you hit it on the head when you said that the height thing is something this GM and others can't get over. They couldn't believe a quarterback who is only 5'10 5/8" would be successful in the NFL, and now that he is they can't fathom it and make excuses for his success while excusing others.

To me, the comments Jeffrey Chadhia makes regarding Wilson lets me know all I need as far as national perspective on Wilson. These guys get so locked in and in lock step with each other it is nauseating.

I don't need the pundits to tell me who is the best but at least they should offer neutral analysis and try to throw out the preconceived notions. Sando does do his homework and attempts not to play favorites though he tends to offer excuses for his favorites as well from time to time. Time is the only way to tell. To have Wilson even be mentioned shows the good fortunes that have been coming this franchise's way.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":1yobv59s said:
Luck is both fantastic and likable, and I'm not sure why being a fan of Wilson leads one to want to denigrate Luck. Wilson's production is a bit better to this point, but he's also in a considerably better situation. Hard for me to imagine that Luck wouldn't have the superior numbers if you transplanted Luck into our offense and Wilson into theirs.

I think it's a close question between the two, and especially as we only have to deal with the Colts once every four years (barring a Super Bowl meeting), I don't know that it matters too much which one is better given how close it is. We're just not going to get enough head-to-head matchups between these two for it to be a Brady-Manning type of thing for the next generation.
It might be possible to have multiple meetings between the two like Brady and Manning but it would require both of them winning their division when they are in the other three years of the rotation. So there's a decent chance at multiple meetings in their careers in my opinion.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":2q5es2ld said:
MidwestHawker":2q5es2ld said:

It might be possible to have multiple meetings between the two like Brady and Manning but it would require both of them winning their division when they are in the other three years of the rotation. So there's a decent chance at multiple meetings in their careers in my opinion.

Nah, in different conferences you only ever see the other team once every four years in the regular season. That much is set in stone by the scheduling formula. The rotation you speak of is the NFC divisions that aren't the division we're playing all of in a given year. Brady and Manning have been able to match up constantly because they were first place in divisions in the same conference. This is a different situation.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
400WattHPSHawk":3bthrdtq said:
HawKnPeppa":3bthrdtq said:

No it's snot. Remember Sando covered us...for ever.

That means you had more than ample opportunity to read his articles, but didn't pay attention, eh? Yes, he covered us for a long time, but was not a homer or even a fan. He was a beat writer which was his job.

Shoot him an email and ask him if he's a fan. He will tell you NO as he's said countless times already. His job was and is to write about the team and division.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Yeah, Sando's no Seahawk fan, just as John Clayton wasn't before him on the same beat. If people didn't realize, Sando went after Pete Carroll absolutely furiously last year after that fake punt against the Bills when we were up big. It went above and beyond trying to look objective, and made it pretty clear that he isn't a Seahawks fan.

He has good knowledge of our team and plays fair with us, and that's great. There isn't enough of it honestly. But he's no Hawks fan. Beat writers often aren't. I'm fairly sure that Christian Caple is an Oregon grad? He was on the WSU beat and is now on the UW beat. It's just a job. I'm sure that not a lot of journalists get the opportunity, at least initially, to cover the team they grew up rooting for.

HawkWow

Reaction score
A couple months ago, I would have traded RW for Luck without hesitation. A month ago, I was on the fence. Today, There's not a QB in the league, including Rodgers, that I'd take for RW.

...against Minnesota Wilson threw a couple balls that we're as good as I've seen...ever. The roll out pass to Lockett in particular. Incredible throw, but it was the confidence he had in the throw, as much as the throw itself, that screamed special.

Luck don't make that throw with that same precision. Few QBs can. RW is progressing this year at the same alarming rate he grew last year. Starting to wonder if he has a ceiling at all (?).

Thank you baby Jesus (and JS) for bringing this little Badger to Seattle.

Amen.

TwilightError

Reaction score
The problem with this comparison is that they both are just about perfect football players. Making a case against either one seems kind of forced.

HawkWow

Reaction score
TwilightError":hhitdwz9 said:
The problem with this comparison is that they both are just about perfect football players. Making a case against either one seems kind of forced.

No question. And with Luck, no pun intended, this debate will rage for the next decade and beyond. This is a great time for NFL football. It's a QB driven league and good things are happening at the position. More good things will happen after this draft and there may soon come a time when more teams have great QBs than not. And the 9ers will still have Kaepernick.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Johnny":34bzd45h said:
Wee-Bey":34bzd45h said:

Cam? Newton?

NO, You can't be serious?
Cam Newton would give his left nut to be as astute and moxie as Russell Wilson.
Russell Wilson is constantly looking to improve his game, while Cam Newton is constantly trying to keep his head above water.

Latest posts