Article - espn insider - Has Wilson surpassed luck?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
chris98251":1oi73t7g said:
CoastStarlight":1oi73t7g said:
I don't wanna be a jerk here, but I'm gonna play the race card. Luck "looks like a quarterback" to a lot of analysts--he looks like what we've seen as successful QBs in the league. He is tall, he is broad, he is white.

Wilson, on the other hand, is short, narrow, and brown. What is most important about him--his intelligence, his work ethic, his leadership--aren't things that show up immediately. They aren't measured by readily available metrics. And I think that's part of why he's been passed over; starting in the draft, continuing in the national conversation. He doesn't look like Manning, Brady, or even Brees. He's an outsider QB, which is why he's perfect for our outsider team.

Say I'm making too much of race? Perhaps. But I've heard twice lately in social situations that "we" need to cheer for the white quarterbacks. I really believe that for some people the position of QB is held as the last unassailable bastion of white supremacy in sports. And while I'm not outright pointing fingers (they were happy enough to consider RG3 part of the convo before he was RGknee), I can't help but wonder what the Luck/Wilson conversation would look like if that were the same.

I have never heard anyone bring race up when it comes to rooting for QB's in the last 10 or so years, well really since Warren Moon and Doug Williams proved everyone wrong, James Harris could be included in that conversation as well.

It's more sexy draft picks of 1st rounders versus a 3rd rounder that didn't meet measurables and now has made everyone have to eat crow or keep propping up the others in hopes Wilson falls flat as to say they told you so.
Agree with Chris here. I think your point is worth discussing but in the end saving face for people like Bill "he'll never be more than a good career backup" Polian is the real motivation for the Luck lovefest. I do think neckbeard is very good and will eventually be seen as the 2nd best QB in the draft class, but in the end Russ will be considered the best.

Ninerg

Reaction score
Zorn76":h33i6e1t said:
IMO, RW is mentally tougher than Luck at this point. I also think that's the key intangible for our QB that's seldom discussed, both in and out of the media.

Stop it. Russell Wilson is on a better team. Andrew Luck have one of the worst O-lines in the entire NFL. He has no running game and his number one receiver is gone and he still going to lead his team the playoffs and a division title.

themunn

Reaction score
Ninerg":38n90025 said:
Zorn76":38n90025 said:
IMO, RW is mentally tougher than Luck at this point. I also think that's the key intangible for our QB that's seldom discussed, both in and out of the media.

Stop it. Russell Wilson is on a better team. Andrew Luck have one of the worst O-lines in the entire NFL. He has no running game and his number one receiver is gone and he still going to lead his team the playoffs and a division title.

Err, did you see us in the first half of the season?
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... t-quarter/

Seahawks Oline 31st
Colts Oline 22nd

Fortunately we somehow improved over the next 4 games
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... d-quarter/

To 30th
Colts unchanged

Look at that - over the first 8 games of the year, our best lineman was a 7th round rookie.

Now we have our starters back yes, and I'd probably put us in the lower top half of the league,/upper bottom half, but then again, that's why Wilson has posted 130+ and 150+ QB ratings in back to back games - both better than Luck's career high.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Ninerg":2vxagfcc said:
Zorn76":2vxagfcc said:

I love how people how try to defend luck use the OLINE excuse...you know its someone who either is a blind homer for Luck or doesnt watch anything seahawks related. Man Wilson is so lucky to be without his starting LT,RT for half the season and C and TE for a few games here and there. What a lucky QB Wilson is to be behind such a dominant line with 2-3 starters out.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":2a5dxzmf said:
Ninerg":2a5dxzmf said:
Zorn76":2a5dxzmf said:

I love how people how try to defend luck use the OLINE excuse...you know its someone who either is a blind homer for Luck or doesnt watch anything seahawks related. Man Wilson is so lucky to be without his starting LT,RT for half the season and C and TE for a few games here and there. What a lucky QB Wilson is to be behind such a dominant line with 2-3 starters out.

Good point. But that doesn't negate the other facts Niner brings up. Even when our O-Line wasn't at full strength, we still had Lynch, Miller, Tate, Baldwin......and one of the best D's in the league. Luck doesn't have any of that.........and still beat us.

This debate to me is stupid. Both are awesome QB's that both teams should be thanking whatever god they believe in they have.

themunn

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2khgnid2 said:
Good point. But that doesn't negate the other facts Niner brings up. Even when our O-Line wasn't at full strength, we still had Lynch, Miller, Tate, Baldwin......and one of the best D's in the league. Luck doesn't have any of that.........and still beat us.

This debate to me is stupid. Both are awesome QB's that both teams should be thanking whatever god they believe in they have.

Yep - although I would suggest that the 10 point swing caused by a blocked FG returned for a TD had something to do with it too.
And the TD ruled a safety.

HawkWow

Reaction score
He has surpassed Luck. He has surpassed Manning and Brees, too. RW is the best QB in the league right now. MVP.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Wilson is still too short to be successful.

NCstateHAWK3

Reaction score
Russell may not be the best Quarterback in the league but he is the most dangeRUSS in the NFL.

HawkWow

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":7gzoyuaa said:
HawkWow":7gzoyuaa said:
He has surpassed Luck. He has surpassed Manning and Brees, too. RW is the best QB in the league right now. MVP.
Probably if he was taller. But he's not so no.

But he plays tall. Like MC 900' Jesus tall.

(remember that name 'sinceday1. You may soon need it in the lyric thread.) ; )

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HawkWow":3lgtrisx said:
hawksfansinceday1":3lgtrisx said:
HawkWow":3lgtrisx said:
Probably if he was taller. But he's not so no.

But he plays tall. Like MC 900' Jesus tall.

(remember that name 'sinceday1. You may soon need it in the lyric thread.) ; )
Man you guys are gettin' way out of my classic rock comfort zone. I got no shot. :34853_doh:

Uffda

Reaction score
Wilson has won a playoff game on the road and came back down 21 points, in the other game , the zone def screwed it up in 34 seconds.