My friend, neighbor, and former Seahawk John Hunter...

rjdriver

Reaction score
Just received word that my friend, neighbor, and former Seahawk, John Hunter will be taken off life support in the coming days after a week long battle with septicemia. After a last ditch effort surgery, the doctors have determined that his heart cannot sustain itself and they will be disconnecting the machines and letting nature take its course. John will leave behind 5 of his own children as well as step children. He is only 47 years old.

John played with the Seattle Seahawks during the 1992 season. John started three games that year. He was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in 1989 in the third round from BYU and was immediately traded to the falcons where he played from 1989-1991. I know what an abysmal team that 1992 squad was, and I know he didn't have a impact role that season, but he was my friend, he had an impact on me.

I'll never forget talking about the Hawks with John. His eyes would light up when we talked football. When I first met him we talked about the 1992 team. When I was able to name off quite a few players, he smiled and said "anyone who remembers anything about that team must be a true fan, you really are a diehard Hawks fan".

I was like a kid in a candy store when he would share his experiences. He talked about how he felt like he should pay admission when he would watch the defense play that year(1992). I really loved hearing his behind the scenes stories. He was in the same draft class as Deion. I loved the time he told me the story about when he and Deion shared the limo drive from the Atlanta airport to headquarters. He said Deion was the must humble, kind, down to earth person he had ever met. It totally surprised him, as he was expecting the Prime who had marketed himself so well at FSU. Mostly an act John told me, "that kid we do anything for anybody". On the other end of the spectrum, he shared a moment when he almost came to fists with Andre Rison, had no respect for him, called him lazy and worthless. I will miss having these opportunities to spend with John, I loved it.

Of all the stories, I will never forget the one he told me about being traded to the Hawks. Coach Glanville told him to pack his stuff, he had been traded to Seattle. John was from Oregon and had always to play closer to his family. He loved the Seahawks and wanted to play for them more than any team. By that time, he was breaking down physically and knew Seattle would be his last stop. He was grateful he was able to play close to his family during that final year.

John was a gentle giant. A very good man, always smiling, always positive. He was my sunday school leader in Church. I know he wasn't a Hawk for long, and I know nobody remembers him, but Im just real sad right now and am probably just leaning on my fellow .netters during a tough day. Thanks for letting me share some stories about my friend. Once a Seattle Seahawk, always a Seahawk, even if it was just for a few games.

A friend told me today that over thirty former players and even Coach Lavell Edwards have come by to see him this week. Please do me a favor and try to remember John and his beautiful family in your thoughts and prayers as they say their final goodbyes. Rest in peace big fellow, enjoy your birdseye view of what will be the most successful season in Seahawk history.

Go Hawks.

Attachments

• 254598.jpg
    254598.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 2,758

sutz

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your inpending loss, driver.

And thanks for sharing those anecdotes with us.

Wishes for better times extended for your friend's family and to you and yours.

OP
OP
rjdriver

rjdriver

Reaction score
Had a couple of pics, one as a Seahawk, one as a Cougar, can't get them to work though

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I remember Hunter, not because he was a stand out or the like, but he was with my Seahawks, and that's good enough for me.
A sincere thanks for sharing RJD.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
rjdriver":15nsvnie said:
Just received word that my friend, neighbor, and former Seahawk, John Hunter will be taken off life support in the coming days after a week long battle with septicemia. After a last ditch effort surgery, the doctors have determined that his heart cannot sustain itself and they will be disconnecting the machines and letting nature take its course. John will leave behind 5 of his own children as well as step children. He is only 47 years old.

John played with the Seattle Seahawks during the 1992 season. John started three games that year. He was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in 1989 in the third round from BYU and was immediately traded to the falcons where he played from 1989-1991. I know what an abysmal team that 1992 squad was, and I know he didn't have a impact role that season, but he was my friend, he had an impact on me.

I'll never forget talking about the Hawks with John. His eyes would light up when we talked football. When I first met him we talked about the 1992 team. When I was able to name off quite a few players, he smiled and said "anyone who remembers anything about that team must be a true fan, you really are a diehard Hawks fan".

I was like a kid in a candy store when he would share his experiences. He talked about how he felt like he should pay admission when he would watch the defense play that year(1992). I really loved hearing his behind the scenes stories. He was in the same draft class as Deion. I loved the time he told me the story about when he and Deion shared the limo drive from the Atlanta airport to headquarters. He said Deion was the must humble, kind, down to earth person he had ever met. It totally surprised him, as he was expecting the Prime who had marketed himself so well at FSU. Mostly an act John told me, "that kid we do anything for anybody". On the other end of the spectrum, he shared a moment when he almost came to fists with Andre Rison, had no respect for him, called him lazy and worthless. I will miss having these opportunities to spend with John, I loved it.

Of all the stories, I will never forget the one he told me about being traded to the Hawks. Coach Glanville told him to pack his stuff, he had been traded to Seattle. John was from Oregon and had always to play closer to his family. He loved the Seahawks and wanted to play for them more than any team. By that time, he was breaking down physically and knew Seattle would be his last stop. He was grateful he was able to play close to his family during that final year.

John was a gentle giant. A very good man, always smiling, always positive. He was my sunday school leader in Church. I know he wasn't a Hawk for long, and I know nobody remembers him, but Im just real sad right now and am probably just leaning on my fellow .netters during a tough day. Thanks for letting me share some stories about my friend. Once a Seattle Seahawk, always a Seahawk, even if it was just for a few games.

A friend told me today that over thirty former players and even Coach Lavell Edwards have come by to see him this week. Please do me a favor and try to remember John and his beautiful family in your thoughts and prayers as they say their final goodbyes. Rest in peace big fellow, enjoy your birdseye view of what will be the most successful season in Seahawk history.

Go Hawks.

View attachment 1
We had to take my grandmother off of life support a month ago, I was at the hospital when we made the decision, calling my brother's and their family's was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in life! My sympathy goes out to Mr Hunter's family.
Once a Hawk, always a Hawk, Godspeed Mr. Hunter.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing this story of a forner Seahawk, JohnHunter. You made it clear that he had his value system in the right order.

Winterfell

Reaction score
I'm really sad to hear about your friend John Hunter, rjdriver. My condolences, it's such a melancholy experience having to hear that a friend is going to be taken off life support and passing away, heart-breaking thinking about John Hunter's family as well. The good thing is that he'll be passing away peacefully, surrounded by his family and friends who will have the time to have a private word with him and say their good-byes.

As a Seahawks fan, to me he sounds like a commendable, upstanding character, and as a former Seahawks player he deserves our support and wishes! Hopefully it was encouraging for him to see the Seahawks morph into a Super Bowl contender this season and for him to see how far the franchise has come since he last played for them in '92.

Thank you John Hunter for your service to the team, and thanks rjdriver for this story!

grizbob

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":ntt8ylm1 said:
Great story. I do remember the name... sorry to hear this.

You, him and his family are in my thoughts today.

:13: God Bless John Hunter.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I hope this doesn't come off as shallow...it is not meant to be (just the opposite) but every time an ex-player or fan of this team passes, his name should be forwarded to the officiating crew of the 05 Superbowl. I have lost several people in my life that would have passed on happier. more content, had we won that superbowl. I hope I do not one day fall under that catagory. It means that much to me.

Godspeed to your friend. A Hawk in life and a Hawk for eternity.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Love the stories and would appreciate any more you are willing to share about your friend. God Bless him and his family for there's no doubt that he was a Man.

drdiags

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I hope his passing will be as painless as possible. My condolences to his family, love ones and friends. I hope his wife and children can find peace in time upon his passing.

HawkWow. My thoughts as well sometimes when looking at what was missed but for us still living, there is a chance for redemption. I remain hopeful.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
He's going far too soon, but his life was better because he had a friend like you.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Brings tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing. Thank you John Hunter for least importantly, being a Seahawk. Far more importantly for being a good human being that a person would take the time to write about you in such a positive light.

hawksman53

Reaction score
our prayers are with you, him, and his family tonight and thank you for sharing your story with all of us. Lets all of us who didnt know him what a great person he was. Everyone who plays or has played for the Hawks is part of family around here!!!

HawkWow

Reaction score
drdiags":34yqisf3 said:
Thanks for sharing. I hope his passing will be as painless as possible. My condolences to his family, love ones and friends. I hope his wife and children can find peace in time upon his passing.

HawkWow. My thoughts as well sometimes when looking at what was missed but for us still living, there is a chance for redemption. I remain hopeful.

You and I only have to last another 11 months. ;)

It's going to be an odd year as I do a complete 180 and root for the Steelers to reach the superbowl. Redemption will be absolute.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, driver. My condolences.

RIP, Mr. Hunter.

Latest posts