Fumblemode!

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Shawn fumbled three times in the two playoff games. Is this something we should be worried about? Do you think all the carries caught up to him? Lack of concentration? Extra effort to make things happen? Straight up fluke? What?

Beastmode is not notorious for this defect, so I want to know what you guys think happened...

JonRud

Reaction score
I am still trying to figure out why our guys keep fumbling as they cross the goal line. Seems like there is some sort of invisible laser that keeps popping the ball out as they hit the goal line.

Aristotle22

Reaction score
Nah, I don't think there is anything to worry about there. Glass half-full

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Two were fluke helmet hits that popped the ball out (the one at Washington and the goal line one in Atlanta). The first fumble in Atlanta was the only true fumble. I'm not concerned at all.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
When a defender puts a helmet on the ball, that's just good tackling.

There are always two sides to every issue - and we rarely give the other team props.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
AF_Hawk":14zt3hz8 said:
Two were fluke helmet hits that popped the ball out (the one at Washington and the goal line one in Atlanta). The first fumble in Atlanta was the only true fumble. I'm not concerned at all.

Yep, exactly. The true fumble in Atlanta I was grimacing as I seen the guy coming up from behind cuz it was pretty evident that Beast did not see him. He had not quite covered the ball up w/ both hands yet for the frontal hit when he got snaked from behind. Happens to all RB's from time to time, especially when they are fighters w/ strong stiff arms.

The Radish

Reaction score
I'm sure it will be discussed at length this off season. Someone hits the ball with their helmet frequently without knocking it out so there has to be an answer.

He's been hit a ton through the years without this problem so it would seem pretty obvious to me there is some little thing that has changed.

:les:

themunn

Reaction score
Unfortunately we didn't fumble on the goalline so he only fumbled once.

I say unfortunately because we'd have to have run another play and might actually have run enough clock off to stop the comeback

BASF

Reaction score
You know the truly interesting part of this question here is the rational responses. Last season in a play very similar to the Falcons fumble, Tarvaris Jackson had the ball knocked out of his hand against a superior defense than the Falcons and there were a ton of people who wanted to tar and feather Jackson for the play. There were several posters that lambasted him for it for a few months, but very little has been said negatively about Marshawn's fumble against Atlanta.

In regards to an answer is no we shouldn't be that concerned. All three plays were very good plays by the defense. These things happen from time to time. I think an interesting question is whether or not Pete didn't have Marshawn run the third and 1 and fourth and 1 plays because he was worried about fumble concerns.

OP
OP
KARAVARUS

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
themunn":1i5d8258 said:
Unfortunately we didn't fumble on the goalline so he only fumbled once.

I say unfortunately because we'd have to have run another play and might actually have run enough clock off to stop the comeback

I see your point, and possibly agree that ditching a few extra seconds would help us. But if that's not on the goal line, it's a fumble. My point is, the ball came loose. I have to say I'm not concerned, but 3 times in two big games just has me wondering what others' opinions might be.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Shawn? :)

He needs to wrap that ball up when he's gaining extra yards after the initial hit...Dude's a warrior but he needs to protect that ball just a bit more than he does, especially how violent he runs.

lukerguy

Reaction score
His first half fumble cost us the game. There was no way around that. We had just built the momentum of the INT, we're driving to the 40 (or more), at worst we'd have had a TD, but more than anything instead of the momentum swinging in the 2nd half, it would have swung in the 2nd quarter. I have no doubt that we would have won without that play. On the other side, he is still a stud, and we wouldn't be where we were without him. I just wish he would have learned from Washington. Can you imagine how devastating it would have been to have him lose that fumble before crossing the plain?

OP
OP
KARAVARUS

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Aros":zna3vw7t said:
Shawn? :)

He needs to wrap that ball up when he's gaining extra yards after the initial hit...Dude's a warrior but he needs to protect that ball just a bit more than he does, especially how violent he runs.

If M-Rob (that's Michael Robinson) can call him Shawn, why can't I? We close like dat. Besides, it's not like I called him Shaun. ;)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JonRud":10xvisoq said:
I am still trying to figure out why our guys keep fumbling as they cross the goal line.

1. Fighting to cross the goal line means exposing the ball more than you would on a regular running play.
2. Defense is keying in on trying to pop the ball loose.
3. My wife keeps jinxing Lynch by saying things like "I hope he doesn't fumble on this play."

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I was amazed at Marshawn over the 1st half of the year. He took so many hits and just never fumbled. Then for whatever reason, they just came in bunches over the last few games.

I think part of it is that he is just worn out from the carries, part of it is the fluke hits that knock it loose.

I bet he will spend some extra time this offseason working on ball security though. You could tell those fumbles really irritated him. His fellow running backs have commented before that Marshawn HATES to fumble. Obviously no one likes it, but they made a point that it is a bigger issue with him.

razgriz737

Reaction score
This is just paraphrasing, but basically after the game Mack Strong said "I don't care who you are, the way the defender swatted, that ball is coming out (on both of his fumbles). I don't expect fumbles to be a problem down the road."

The Battle #83

Reaction score
The off season is here now. It's not a problem, but he should work on it whenever he starts to train for next season. Hell everyone on the team should train how to run with the ball in the proper fashion