This game is on the defense

smerfy01

Reaction score
We came out more than flat in the first half...we just did not show up.

Just looking at the statlines from what occured in that half, it is a miracle we came back the way we did to make a game out of it. Over 100 yards rushing in the first half? :pukeface:

The Falcons didn't punt it till...what...the 4th quarter? They were killing us on 3rd downs, killing us in the flat and pounding us on the ground.

Bruce Irvin - not an every-down player in that position. he was manhandled all game and had 1 tackle. he should probably be embarrassed with his performance

Red Bryant - another total non-factor. he is a great body to be in there against downhill runners...but they were killing us on the edge where no one could expect a 330+lb guy to chase. not to mention he has no ability to pass rush.

Brandon Browner - i saw him get beat multiple times on comeback routes where he was playing way off the ball. he did NOT have the game we needed him to have especially in the first half

Our linebackers - just terrible in coverage today. Bobby Wagner wasn't much of a factor and i just didn't see much that would make me not hold their play at least somewhat accountable.

We were just totally outschemed for the first half. They capitalized on our big weaknesses and we didnt do much to adjust to what they were doing. Our blitzing was just eaten up. We didn't touch matt ryan all day...

So what does this say about or defense? we have a lot of work to do in the offseason. Tru is probably done, Thurmond can't stay healthy, Clemons is going in for surgery, Red Bryant is ineffective as a pass rusher and Irvin isn't the Leo we have been looking for. These are all pressing concerns that need to be addressed.

I'm not one to immediately blame the coaches for everything, as they do make mistakes, but the defensive scheme we were running for most of the day just was not the right one. This was disappointing...but it gives the team an opportunity to address these issues in the offseason and I think the front office is up to the task.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Our best pass rusher was out.

We had a 10:00AM game on the east coast.

Our second east coast time zone in two weeks.

Playing against the a 13-3 team on the road

Playing against arguably the best receiver duo in the league

Playing against the best TE of all time (at least statistically)

Was on the field way too much in the first half due to a slow starting offense

Had a couple of huge picks in the game a against a top notch QB

Had some amazing must need stops in the fourth quarter (especially against the screen)

This loss was on the Seahawks by the Falcons, we had missed opportunities by the offense, defense, coaching, and even special teams with some bad kicks. Not our best game, but I love this team and I'm damn proud of them. Not saying disagree with your specific assessments though smerfy, but it was a tough game. We played hard in a tough environment. Almost re wrote the history books!

Seeker

Reaction score
naw, it was on the d but its okay. now we know where we need to upgrade. Irvin aint ready for that role yet but he soon will be. we need some upgrades at nickle and maybe a more dominant pass rush. good year though.

Latest posts