The Family That Goes To Hawks Games Together...

daketah

Reaction score
I'm not sure I'll sleep tonight. :0190l:

You see, tomorrow I will be going to my first Hawks game since the Kingdome days, and I'll be bringing my family. Part of the drought has been geography, partly economics, partly raising young children. Now, my son is 11 and a hard-core Hawks fan. My 9 year-old daughter is warming up to football. And you gotta know that a man who grew up (I'm literally from South Alaska) with the Hawks wouldn't marry a woman who isn't a Hawks fan!

I have lurked here on .NET for a solid decade, and rarely post since I don't often feel like I'm going to say something that will add value to the discussion. I feel pretty passionate about this team, therefore I'm most likely to want to say something at a time where the passion will translate to reactionary stupidity. Let cooler heads prevail.

I could use some game day advice as it has been a while, and I'm not familiar with Seattle. We will be driving up from Portland.

As for transportation, I'm thinking about riding LINK or the Sounder in from the Tukwila area. What I'm not sure about is parking. I'm thinking I could park at the Tukwila Link, or at SeaTac, or at the Tukwila Rail Station, and ride in. This line of thought comes from the idea that the stadium area parking is probably quite expensive, and probably a mess after the game. Thoughts? Advice?

As my wife is ever-nurturing, she thinks of things that I don't. She asked me a few weeks ago, what kind of food is allowed to be brought into the stadium. I'm thinking, "Food, who needs it? I'm going to be too amped up to eat!" But, the kids are probably going to get hungry, so we need to figure something out (I'm not thrilled about paying for stadium concessions). That is when I discover this on .COM: "Outside Food in Clear Plastic Bags or Pizza in Pizza Boxes" under the allowed items heading. So my wife asks where we would get a whole pizza nearby, and marvels at the thought that they'd allow a pizza of all things! She's also thinking about making up several bags of food to bring. Thoughts? Advise?

In hopes of making the most of the game day experience, I'm planning on arriving 2 or 3 hours before game time. Is there anything that I should be sure to take in or experience? :thirishdrinkers:

Thanks for any advice that you may offer! :th2thumbs:

I was there when Steve Largent rocked Mike Harden, and I'm looking forward to another memorable play (or several) tomorrow. We don't have great seats, but 315-CC-18/21 is where my group of 12's will be adding to the NOISE!

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
1st thing. Every seat in the building is a great seat. Not always because of views, etc., but because you're part of the 12. Yes!

I can't speak about what foods are allowed in the stadium, but there are plenty of hotdog vendors, etc., outside that aren't gouging you. I'll defer that question to someone else.

Parking. I usually park in the parking garage at Safeco Field. It's like $20, and if you get there 2-3 prior to game time, you will be on the lower level, which is an easy right hand turn out after the game. It's not a far walk, and going back to the food thing, if you get in line for reduced price hotdogs after the game, that short wait combined with your walk allows things to clear up pretty well.

You could also park in a lot farther away for 10-15 bucks, but its only a few more dollars to be closer.

If you want to park for free, you can park by the railroad tracks. It's a hike though with a family.

Go Hawks!

Seatownbully

Reaction score
Hey there, I too am a newb. I just wanted to say if your early to the game you can check out the south end of the stadium for the activities they have going on in there for the whole family. Fun stuff for the kids and all the games on big screens. Also if you want to support the little guy out front, you can buy a few waters and a bag of peanuts for like 6 bucks. Enjoy the game I will be there screamin. Go Hawks!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Have a great time, you won't believe how loud it is at the House of Noise. Get the kids there early, and do the TD City thing too, they'll love it. You can get food from the outside much cheaper, or just bring your own. You're also allowed one water (sealed) per person, so that will save you some $. When you get into the stadium, you can go to the fan services booth on the West side, and sign up for the "designated driver" thing, and get a free soda for anyone over 21, basically for not being drunk etc. That's a good deal. There is an incredible taco truck across from TD City called El Camion, they take awhile, but it's worth it. Also, the kids can get some great pics of the players if they go down by the Hawks tunnel. My nephews have had players give them gloves, etc.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
If you decide to take the Link, get there plenty early. I showed up about 2 hours before a game, and there was NO parking to be had anywhere! (Even with my handicap parking placard.) Ended up driving to Seattle and parking in the garage at the Clink, as usual. I'd say, since your driving up from Portland, I'd say leave no later than 6am to hopefully find parking at 9am.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
We always drive and park further north in Seattle in one of the garages. It's a bit of a walk, but makes for a cleaner in and out for the game. The concessions aren't bad at all at the stadium. You can find a list of what's available here: http://www.centurylinkfield.com/concessions-guide/ and here's a good rundown on what you can expect there: http://seattle.sbnation.com/2012/7/19/3 ... ace-market

They have some Seattle-centric food, and some of it's pretty good. Eating just before the game should keep your little ones from getting too hungry anyway, and there are plenty of places downtown for some post-game chow too.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
Your best bet if you have the option is to take the light link rail in.. or bus.... unless you go Really early or want to pay a lot for parking. If you are going from SeaTac, that park n ride station is full most all the time on game day. tukwilla for the sounder may be a better idea..... as someone else noted TOUCHDOWN city is a must for kids.. it opens 3 hours prior to game day.. get there 3 hours early you will not be disappointed.

Food, you can bring in sandwiches and stuff.. but they will search your bag.... it don't take long.
you can bring in un opened water but no other beverages...

peace.. from section 304

Blitzfan

Reaction score
I go to the games from Tacoma, you can park in the garage for free and either take a bus or the Sounder from there.

Starrman44

Reaction score
Pretty Cool. Enjoy. I am an Alaska Seahawk fan transplanted to Portland, as well. We lived in Palmer, AK and Coffman Cove, AK (if you don't know where that is, Ketchikan was the big city).

Have fun with the family. I haven't taken in a Seahawks game yet. Hoping to some day...

OP
OP
daketah

daketah

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the great insights! I am so excited for tomorrow, I feel like I did as a kid on Christmas Eve!

Starrman, I'm from Ketchikan, so I'm familiar with Coffman Cove. My ancestors are from Klawock, and I commercial fished out of Craig in the 80's.

Hawk Haole

Reaction score
You might want to consider earplugs for the kids. I wear them because I am half deaf and need what I have left of my hearing. It is really that loud. And if you are seated next to super screaming fans (pretty much a given) your ears are going to be ringing when it is over. Have fun. Sounds like a great family time.

OP
OP
daketah

daketah

Reaction score
Thanks for that thoughtful reminder! My wife has set aside three sets of earplugs. I have decided to suffer through it. I'm approaching this game as if it's my last, so I'm in for the whole ear-splitting shebang!

seahawks08

Reaction score
I have parked in seatac (Terminal Direct only 4th floor, as soon you take the ticket so you dont have to walk a lot) where the price is half off or $2 an hour during game days, pretty decent as there are plenty of parking. Take the link rail and get down in the international district station, the stadium station is more closer to the mariners safeco and little more of a walk to Clink. Food around the stadium and trucks are cheap and good. Inside stadium food is decent but a little expensive.

Other parking options include safeco garage my preference as it is covered, (35 dollars for the game covered parking), easy access to I-90 or I-5. definitely do the touchdown city activities, they have face painting, hair coloring and lots of other things to do for kids. They open 3 hours before the game I think. They also have food and other options in there.

I personally like to park near the stadium, so that after the game is over, I just go to the car and off I go:)

http://www.seahawks.com/gameday/touchdown-city.html

Also be seated in they stadium at least 15 to 20 minutes, the introduction of players and the 12 man flag raising/ National anthem, pyrotechnics all of these would be great for kids and adults to see and get into the game mood. Yes make lots of noise.. be quiet when our offense is in the field, be loud otherwise... have fun, we will also be at the stadium.

We will be there too for the game tomorrow

seahawks08

Reaction score
also this..

For Sunday’s game against the Rams, fans are encouraged to wear blue – turning the stadium into a blue wave. There also will be random selections of fans and entire sections for prizes – from Seahawks beanies to round-trip tickets anywhere in the 48 contiguous states or Canada.

SilkMonkey

Reaction score
Me and my buddy have gone light rail all season and it's not bad. Free parking at Tukwila station but plan on being there before 8 otherwise it's probably a no go.

Touchdown City makes me wish I was a kid again...I'd totally run the obstacle courses and get wild.

One thing I recommend to EVERYONE...throat lozenges. You need to be able to yell and scream for 4 quarters. Helps keep you going through the pain (by handily numbing your throat)

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Also, bring a small pocket knife. After having a 'beverage of your choice' use the knife to cut out the bottom of the cup - voila, instant megaphone! To make your voice even louder and more obnoxious...

Starrman44

Reaction score
daketah":fjpkle2c said:
Thanks everyone for the great insights! I am so excited for tomorrow, I feel like I did as a kid on Christmas Eve!

Starrman, I'm from Ketchikan, so I'm familiar with Coffman Cove. My ancestors are from Klawock, and I commercial fished out of Craig in the 80's.

I ate my first pizza in Ketchikan. My dad was a logger (big surprise)...

chris98251

Reaction score
Cold Chicken legs keep well in a bag or maybe some wings or hot wings, are good finger foods that pack well also. Just if you bring the hot wings have water to go with it.

grizbob

Reaction score
Starrman44":3fv2gyvk said:
daketah":3fv2gyvk said:

I ate my first pizza in Ketchikan. My dad was a logger (big surprise)...

Had my 1st shot of Everclear in Ketchikan (Fo'c'sle Bar 1974) I was a logger(surprise!!)

OP
OP
daketah

daketah

Reaction score
Loggers and Seahawks are a natural match! At least this year's Hawks. The most bad-ass people I have ever known were loggers.