Better in-game coach

• PC

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • Harbaugh

Votes: 18 40.0%

• Total voters

SonicHawk

Reaction score
PC/JS are obviously amazing talent evaluators and Harbaugh had a solid team gifted to him.

But which coach do you think is a better in-game coach?

49fansince70

Reaction score
I had to go with PC. Maybe I haven't watched enough seahawk games. But the 49ers always burn way too many times outs as a result of taking too long to get the plays in. I think they'd be much improved if, once in awhile, they played uptempo like the Pats. But then, maybe you need a QB like Brady to do that. And, really, who am I to say, a dilletante at best, but it seems they don't make adjustments when other teams take something away (*cough* rams).

Throwdown

Reaction score
The only problem I have with PC is sometimes he coaches not to lose, or down to the oppositions level, best example of this was the Miami game, we should've had that in the bag, but... ya know. I really don't watch any SF games to actually sit here and make a decision between the two, I do though think the two franchises and fan bases are lucky with their respective guys. Friggin' lucked out we did.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
I don't know how you can't vote Harbaugh here, because in all 3 of the PC vs. Harbaugh matchups, Harbaugh has outcoached Pete.

PC usually is the one with good halftime adjustments, and subpar first halfs. When harbaugh plays him though, that all flips around, and Harbaugh has the edge come the end of the game.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Carroll. 49ers fans, I point you to your game @ Foxboro as evidence against Harbaugh. Patriots made halftime adjustments and nearly tied the 2nd-best comeback in the history of the league. You guys had a 31-3 lead, and nearly lost it.

Reaction score
This is actually a tough one - Pete makes really good in-game adjustments, but often seems to bungle clock management and challenges - at the same time, Harbaugh seems like he is a real hot-head on the sideline and I can't help but think that some of that emotion causes him to over-react and to miss things.

In the end, I think they are both really good coaches though....just is a difficult question.

drdiags

Reaction score
I went with Jim. We will never know if the roles were reversed, but our coaches could not adjust in the game to the trapping the 9ers did to the Seahawks in the prior game. Pete himself marvels at the 9ers running game and its complexity. Last year both games had some element of the special teams make major game changing plays and could have gone either way.

Not sure what this series will look like once both teams have settled in with their current QBs. Next few years will give me a better feel of how each team matches up long term from a coaching perspective.

I echo Throwdown's take. Both fan bases have their guy that has them fired up. I am still trying to deal with this All-Seahawks all the time coverage. I am starting to hate the Seahawks (hee hee ... just kidding folks).

jlwaters1

Reaction score
49fansince70":1d1hzsub said:
I had to go with PC. Maybe I haven't watched enough seahawk games. But the 49ers always burn way too many times outs as a result of taking too long to get the plays in. I think they'd be much improved if, once in awhile, they played uptempo like the Pats. But then, maybe you need a QB like Brady to do that. And, really, who am I to say, a dilletante at best, but it seems they don't make adjustments when other teams take something away (*cough* rams).

Good post. As a kid I was a huge 49ers fan. Loved them through most of the Steve Young era. I think Both coaches are tremendous. PC when he first got here was much more likely to roll the dice and go for it on 4th down situations. It seemed to take a year to realize that it wasn't college and that punting more often than not is the right choice. This year he's become very conservative in that regard. He now almost always punts. I've seen him grow from handling end of half situations and timeouts inconsistently in 2010-11 to being little to complain about in 2012.

I'm very interested to see how things shake out this Sunday. I think this game will decided in the 4th quarter. I think both are able to "coach up" their players and get the most out of them.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Pre-game prep award goes to Harbaugh.

In-game coach award goes to Carroll.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3qjhq5vn said:
Pre-game prep award goes to Harbaugh.

In-game coach award goes to Carroll.

Why?

Harbaugh has beaten Pete all 3 times in games....

I think Pete is way better in adding talent, but Harbs is a lot better at in game adjustments and coaching.

SuperFreak

Reaction score
Pete has a better track record, he's won a national championship. Sure Jim is good and he's ran better of late but I think S.F. had the edge in talent last season as Seattle was turning over the roster. This season the clubs are close to being equal we'll see if Pete can get us a win Sunday, that said Pete took USC to a championship Jim has never won championships as a coach so advantage Pete in my book.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
hawksfan515":15c04fe4 said:
I think Pete is way better in adding talent, but Harbs is a lot better at in game adjustments and coaching.

See, the problem is, we don't have a basis for comparison, yet. Only now in the past month are the Seahawks an all-around GOOD team like the one Harbaugh inherited and didn't have to change one iota as far as players go. The Seahawks had considerably less talent on the roster compared to the 49ers last year, and we faced the 49ers early on the road this year with a rookie QB and still would have won w/o our receivers dropping everything thrown to them. (Relax, 49ers fans; I'm not bashing your team, I'm bashing our own WRs.)

This Sunday will be the first really good test between our two clubs since the Seahawks came back to the NFC West division, honestly.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3eboj4h7 said:
hawksfan515":3eboj4h7 said:

See, the problem is, we don't have a basis for comparison, yet. Only now in the past month are the Seahawks an all-around GOOD team like the one Harbaugh inherited and didn't have to change one iota as far as players go. The Seahawks had considerably less talent on the roster compared to the 49ers last year, and we faced the 49ers early on the road this year with a rookie QB and still would have won w/o our receivers dropping everything thrown to them. (Relax, 49ers fans; I'm not bashing your team, I'm bashing our own WRs.)

This Sunday will be the first really good test between our two clubs since the Seahawks came back to the NFC West division, honestly.

Yeah, no doubt once we have some new material to judge we will know for sure. If Pete cannot pull out the win though, with what i believe is a more talented squad in the Hawks, a franchise QB, and the best homefield advantage in the NFL, he is probably never going to match up to Harbs as a coach.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Let's see now, ummm, Harbaugh was dealt a pat hand BOTH sides of the ball when he slid in as HC, with QB being the only real question mark.
Starting from near scratch, Pete has been piecing it together with not so high draft picks, but along with John Schneider, are finding players way away from the first round, that are stellar tallent.
Pete is still a few pieces away from having the more complete team that Harbaugh has inherited from the get-go.

Can anyone here honestly say that they wouldn't trade O-lines, or D-lines with the 9rs?, I mean how many players besides Okung is an upgrade over the 9rs?

Pete got my vote, and when Wilson shags out, and the D-line and O-line finally gets gets it?, look out.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2i841wjj said:
Carroll. 49ers fans, I point you to your game @ Foxboro as evidence against Harbaugh. Patriots made halftime adjustments and nearly tied the 2nd-best comeback in the history of the league. You guys had a 31-3 lead, and nearly lost it.

To be fair.....when you are up 31-3 what halftime adjustment needs to be made? Cant you say what was working should continue to work?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":1l6rryr4 said:
To be fair.....when you are up 31-3 what halftime adjustment needs to be made? Cant you say what was working should continue to work?

Actually, I'd say you should expect adjustments from the opposing team, and therefore need to be watching out specifically for what you also will need to do differently.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
In every game they have played, all three, Jim has done something to fool Pete. Every time. Now granted, it wasn't the difference in the first game, that was decided by special teams, but in the TJ fumble game, Harbaugh called a timeout on 4th and short and spent the whole timeout yelling at his linemen and trying them pumped up, then passed out of a run set. The Hawks were completely fooled. Of course, if Tarvaris Jackson had some 4th quarter nerves, moot point. And the first meeting this year, the trap killed us. That was a plus move by Harbaugh, and Pete could not overcome.

Advantage Harbaugh.

Fox0r

Reaction score
Throwdown":2wxiukho said:
The only problem I have with PC is sometimes he coaches not to lose, or down to the oppositions level, best example of this was the Miami game, we should've had that in the bag, but... ya know. I really don't watch any SF games to actually sit here and make a decision between the two, I do though think the two franchises and fan bases are lucky with their respective guys. Friggin' lucked out we did.

I feel like he's learned his lesson, but I agree about that. Hence the 58-0, 50-17.