Why I think we lose this game....

lukerguy

Reaction score
It's common knowledge that the Seahawks generally lose games for one reason. They play not to lose rather than to win. This manifests itself in a bunch of different ways, but primarily 1) Play calling is far to conservative and we don't allow RW to take over the game 2) We stop bringing pressure on D, and allow to much of the underneath passes.

Each one of these two scenarios has happened in every single loss of the season with the exception of maybe SF (and even some of our wins):
Dallas- (most of the first half on O- and D. People forget, but Dallas actually moved the ball quite well against us. They just didn't score)
GB- Terrible offensive play for the majority of the game with the exception of the great through to Tate. However, this was by far our defenses best game of the season.
STL- Our first offensive drive of the game was incredible. P/A on 1st and 2nd down, roll outs, which set up a long run by Lynch.
Detroit- We knew that it could be a high scoring affair, so we opened it up earlier and more often. The D however, played terribly on the final drive of the game...this was the start of a trend.
Mia- I was disappointed in the play calling for most of this game. Particularly in the last 5 minutes. Once again the D was terrible in the last quarter of the game.

I've found we generally rise up to play good teams, and have a strong shot at beating them. Conversely, we play not to lose against inferior teams.. So why do I think we will lose to Chicago? They're a 7 win team and playing at home, what's not to play up to?

Well...their D is very good, and I think the primary focus for practice this week was turnover prevention...is it just me or does anyone else think that having a focus around not giving the ball up may lead to more conservative play calling? Anyways, that's my fear for this week. I want to see Bevell open it up, but he may be too afraid to go after the secondary most known for turnovers and tilting the game off those turnovers. If he tries that Run, Run, Pass crap...we're done.

SeaMeat

Reaction score
Tillman is the one that produces the most turnovers with his 'Peanut Punch' and he is out for this game, correct?

I am not TOO worried about turnovers, but I am more anxious about turnovers this game more then I have been in the past.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Some of the offensive design likely comes from not wanting to put to much pressure on a rookie QB. I know it often appears he could jump small buildings in a single sneeze but he still is a rookie and relying on the team surrounding him to be successful.

I don't really have any problem with our offensive play calling considering the execution required and the number of things that could go wrong. I do however get frustrated with our defensive scheming and lack of adjustments, sands half time adjustments. It always feels like we continue with the same attack even when it's not working. I understand patients but we seem to way to often go way beyond being patient and begin to look paranoid.