Pink Month

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Look, I understand breast cancer is a serious topic, and I understand the NFL wants to draw more women into the fan base. But all that pink on the field, clashing with teams' colors, makes me a little nauseous. I'm fairly sure I am not alone in this.

Regarding the Seahawks: At San Francisco, I don't remember seeing the Seahawks wear any pink at all on the field. I remember noticing at one point that both teams had fleourescent colors on them -- Digits had pink, and Seahawks had green. Maybe the Seahawks had some pink and I missed it?

But whether there was no pink or a little pink on the field for the Seahawks, I was just damn proud that my team was bucking the trend. It doesn't reflect anything about my attitude toward breast cancer research and treatment (I had a grandmother and aunt lose their breasts to cancer), I just don't like pink on the field, and I don't like doing something just because everyone else does it.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
It does come across at pretty blatant pandering ... but it does raise a lot of money and really how does it negatively impact anything?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Look, I love boobs. Save the boobs!

But yeah, dump the month-long pink on the field.

OP
OP
BlueTalon

BlueTalon

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2s3gs7nl said:
Unfortunately, breast cancer awareness has become almost a business hidden inside of a noble cause.
Unfortunately, I agree.

Back to the question -- did anyone else notice that the Seahawks didn't have any (or barely any) pink on the field? Or is my memory faulty?

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
BlueTalon":zq4xinnl said:
FlyingGreg":zq4xinnl said:
Unfortunately, breast cancer awareness has become almost a business hidden inside of a noble cause.
Unfortunately, I agree.

Back to the question -- did anyone else notice that the Seahawks didn't have any (or barely any) pink on the field? Or is my memory faulty?

I don't remember there being much pink at all in the last game.

bellingerga

Reaction score
Lives are being saved because of it. Huge money is being raised. It's opened a dialogue, even here.

Keep it. Football is football. Human health is far more important.

There's not a whole lot of things I can think of worse to bitch about than this, and really guys... it's just another color. Does pink make you uncomfortable? Insecure maybe??
:stirthepot: :stirthepot:

OP
OP
BlueTalon

BlueTalon

Reaction score
ParisPC07":3hk0u1n4 said:
My fiancée battled Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma for two years. The ribbon color for NHL is lime green, so I was set.
Paul Allen battled that too. Maybe he got an NFL examption?

bellingerga":3hk0u1n4 said:
and really guys... it's just another color. Does pink make you uncomfortable? Insecure maybe??
:stirthepot: :stirthepot:
Pink is a great color, in the right places. But some colors are just not suitable for certain places. For example, if a color is suitable for a toilet, it does not belong on a car. I just don't think pink belongs on a footballl field. And if the NFL wasn't actively trying to recruit women into the fanbase, pink wouldn't be on the field.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I don't think it has a bit of "trying to pander to female fans". I think it is an issue that all sports have taken to heart and supported (baseball started it with I believe the pink bat weekend).

The facts are that breast cancer has a high cure rate if caught early. That is the big point. OF all cancers, it is very survivable if caught right away. That is why they want to start the mammograms at 40. Add to that, I have yet to meet a person in my 39 years that hasn't been personally impacted by breast cancer. When the issue comes up (as we raise money for leukemia and lymphoma since my dad had it and my best friend from teaching is a survivor and had two bouts by the time she was 25). It is just a matter of talking about it. Once we start talking, the discussion quickly turns to somebody who has had it.

The biggest issue with the awareness is that the NFL's main market (age wise) is right in the wheelhouse for those who need to be educated and get their wives, girlfriends, moms, or themselves out to get mammograms (40+, or less if the family history says so).

The NFL has found a way to pool their resources and create a massive awareness campaign and on top of that a giant fundraiser by selling off game used memorabilia in pink (which brings in tons of money for research and treatment) and it creates another line of merchandise for them to sell, which is good for the league.

The NFL's support of the issue did another great thing and got people to start looking at the books of the Susan G. Komen foundation (sorry if the spelling was wrong) and people realized how little of their funding was actually going towards research. It was embarrassingly little. So just the awareness that was created by the NFL getting involved basically forced that charity to up the ante, and also got other companies involved who have promised a much higher rate of investment into research and direct help like in paying for early screenings and the like (Avon is one example that has stepped up big this year and put their money directly into research rather than sending it off to another company that pays a board in the 6 figures and has to relabel themselves as an "awareness organization" essentially due to their poor record on actual spending.

I could care less if the NFL went 100% pink including the turf on the field. Breast cancer kills people. It does it fast and it takes away way too many moms, sisters, aunts, wives, daughters, teachers, friends, etc. etc. If it is caught it can be treated and those lives can be saved! Just like prostate cancer. But it has to be caught. If the biggest TV show (in numbers of total viewership for all shows/games weekly) in the nation can remind people to get checked and promised a chunk of the money they make to find a cure for all of those moms, sisters, wives, daughters, friends, etc. that we love then I say awesome for them. I never saw the cast of Jersey Shore offering up a percentage of what they make for research for an awful disease that kills people every minute. I did hear them gripe about not making enough per episode and saying they were going on strike. Same with the case of Friends and a lot of other shows that have high visibility. In this one case the NFL is walking the walk and I applaud them for doing so. They make plenty of dumb mistakes. Why not give them a pat on the back when they go out of their way to earn one and deserve it? How this can be an issue of contention and complaint towards the league seems really nitpicky at best.

dunceface

Reaction score
I don't mind it at all and I think the Hawks are the ONLY team that can actually pull it off
I got the pink fitted and its dope! Matches my gray Lynch jersey w my pink swoosh dunks...

OP
OP
BlueTalon

BlueTalon

Reaction score
SharkHawk":3l4lsqna said:
How this can be an issue of contention and complaint towards the league seems really nitpicky at best.
Oh, I don't deny that it's nitpicky. And I'm not suggesting anybody change anything. I just don't like pink on the field, and I'm venting.

Actually, I take it back a little -- I wouldn't mind pink on the field if it doesn't clash horribly with a team's colors. (And yeah, this is nitpicky). For example, the Panthers could pull it off. Probably other's too, I'm just too lazy to look them up and figure it out.

But the real reason I started the thread was the absence of pink in our last game, at least on our uniforms. That was unusual, and it caught my attention.

Claden

Reaction score
When the jests wear it, it reminds me of watermelon.

Giblien

Reaction score
Frankly, I get REALLY sick of it, for two reasons:

1) It's freaking PINK...I don't care HOW hard the hits are, they are still wearing pink and it looks dumb.

2) Why are we only supporting BREAST cancer? I mean, don't get me wrong, I am a red blooded american man and understand that breasts are...well...breasts

...but there are WAY more cancers our there that are FAR more devastating that really should be getting more money for research than breast cancer due to mortality rate and/or prevalence (Like pancreatic for example).

While it IS a good cause, I would be fine with it going away.