Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

(Edit Myers Cut) Janikowski vs Myers

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
(Edit Myers Cut) Janikowski vs Myers
Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:30 am
  • It will be interesting to see what happens with the placekicker competition. Although Janikowski has been signed to decent money Jason Myers is a pretty competent kicker in his ownright and is MUCH younger. Based on the $ i expect Jans to get the job but if "always compete" is the true montra once again then it could get interesting.
    Last edited by seabowl on Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Re: Janikowski vs Meyers
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:17 am
  • Sebastian is signed for bigger money and has more experience. The downside is he is older (more prone to injury) and he's a left footed kicker so needs to build trust with his holder. Remember most holders are right handed so when holding for a left-footed kicker your right hand is closer to his foot as he approaches the ball.
    Place kickers may score the most points in a season but only if they win the mental game.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:35 am
  • The competition will decide what the team does. Somehow though I suspect that Janikowski is ahead there but only b/c of his experience. He does have guaranteed money and has had a long and very consistent career to now which may also boost his chances and he has never been the head case that our last season’s train wreck kicker was, wide left, wide right. Myers will take the battle down to the end I suspect, but will come up short.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:46 am
  • Who cares if Sebastian is over 40. As long as he’s productive, that’s all that is needed. Vinatieri is 45 years old and is still kicking strong.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:55 am
  • Yep, it's not his age, but coming off injuries that concerns me more than anything.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:57 pm
  • Aros wrote:Yep, it's not his age, but coming off injuries that concerns me more than anything.

But wasn't he healthy at the beginning of last year, and Oakland just decided to go with the young guy?
    Jimjones0384
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:08 pm
  • seabowl wrote:Although Janikowski has been signed to decent money Jason Meyers is a pretty competent kicker in his ownright and is MUCH younger. Based on the $ i expect Jans to get the job but if "always compete" is the true montra once again then it could get interesting.

As far as the money is concerned, remember that Matt Flynn was signed for 15 million dollars and got beat out by RW who was signed to $830,000 and some change (could be wrong on that figure), so the money doesn't necessarily mean that the job is a lock.
    nrayorr
    NET Rookie

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:38 am
  • hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:49 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:

That's welcomed news :2thumbs: ......
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:20 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:

Cool.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:05 am
  • Sea Bass clearly still has a very strong leg. He looked hilarious in his jersey too. :lol:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:57 am
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:30 pm
  • They can't count on Sebas to make a tackle on a kickoff. Probably too slow to even funnel a returner into the pursuit guys either. Having a decent athlete at the position may only matter 3 or 4 times a year, but it does matter.
    cheese22
    NET Starter

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:33 pm
  • I'm not even sort of worried, he's going to be a touchback machine.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:34 pm
  • Its a win win if both are good. Just don't suck like Blair Walsh and have some Hauscka reliability that we had before his final season.

Walsh cost us close games last year.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:44 pm
  • Sea Bass looks like he just got off the Couch or came out of the stands to attempt the Kick for Charity contests they have everywhere. Seeing him does not scream athlete, sort of like Tom Dempsey was as a kicker.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:15 pm
  • Jimjones0384 wrote:
    Aros wrote:Yep, it's not his age, but coming off injuries that concerns me more than anything.

But wasn't he healthy at the beginning of last year, and Oakland just decided to go with the young guy?

No. He was placed on IR at the beginning of the season with a herniated disc in his back which caused him to miss the whole season. He made the final 53 man roster out of camp and was expected to be their kicker, but was placed on IR the day before the 1st regular season game.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raid ... d-reserve/

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/spo ... story.html
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:49 pm
  • Babe Ruth was one of the best baseball players of all time, he had a huge gut.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:40 pm
  • hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:46 pm
  • So anyone else thinking that we'll be going into the season with Janikowski and Dickson? I'd be cool with that.
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:16 am
  • Seahawk_Dan wrote:So anyone else thinking that we'll be going into the season with Janikowski and Dickson? I'd be cool with that.

Biggest lock of the preseason next to Russ beating out Austin Davis :lol:

I don't like Janikowski at all, but he will win the job for his kickoffs alone. Buckle up for another fun ride at kicker.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:46 am
  • im definitely not in on Myers.........His short resume is awful and inconsistent.
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:28 pm
  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    Seahawk_Dan wrote:So anyone else thinking that we'll be going into the season with Janikowski and Dickson? I'd be cool with that.

Biggest lock of the preseason next to Russ beating out Austin Davis :lol:

I don't like Janikowski at all, but he will win the job for his kickoffs alone. Buckle up for another fun ride at kicker.

As long as he doesn't turn into Blair Walsh, then its all good.
    raisethe3
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:57 pm
  • I think he ate Blair Walsh...
    chrispy
    NET Rookie

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:13 pm
  • https://q13fox.com/2018/08/20/did-sebas ... mpetition/

Hours after punter Jon Ryan tweeted a goodbye to Seahawks fans, the team announced it had cut both him and kicker Jason Myers.

Those decisions leave fifth-round draft pick Michael Dickson as the only punter on the roster, and Sebastian Janikowski as the only kicker.
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• Can Dickson kick FG's if Seabass gets hurt in game?
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:Can Dickson kick FG's if Seabass gets hurt in game?

Apparently he's got a good drop kick so he just might be the man in case of SeaBass injuries.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

• Follow the money. Dickson saves money over Ryan, and outplayed him in two games.

Janikowski got the big contract, so bye bye rookie.

:229031_shrug:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:17 pm
  • chrispy wrote:I think he ate Blair Walsh...

I’m fine with that!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• sutz wrote:Follow the money. Dickson saves money over Ryan, and outplayed him in two games.

Janikowski got $1.615M in a one-year contract... not that much.
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• onanygivensunday wrote:
    sutz wrote:Follow the money. Dickson saves money over Ryan, and outplayed him in two games.

Janikowski got $1.615M in a one-year contract... not that much.

Not bad for a kicker coming off an injury, though. Still a lot more than the rook was going to get.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Re: (Edit Myers Cut) Janikowski vs Meyers
Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:18 pm
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Re: (Edit Myers Cut) Janikowski vs Myers
Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:33 pm
  • I'll take Myers thank you.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

• KitsapGuy wrote:

:pukeface:
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

• Why anybody would want Myers on the team is puzzling to me.... he couldn’t beat out Seabass when given the opportunity. What makes anyone think he would have done better? I surely don’t.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• hawkfan68 wrote:Why anybody would want Myers on the team is puzzling to me.... he couldn’t beat out Seabass when given the opportunity. What makes anyone think he would have done better? I surely don’t.

Why??? He has an 81% success rate on fg 's over his career (same as Janikowski although many less years), strong leg, and is 27 years old vs 40. Is that enough for you?
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

• I'm already worried and it's only game 1. This not good.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• seabowl wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Why anybody would want Myers on the team is puzzling to me.... he couldn’t beat out Seabass when given the opportunity. What makes anyone think he would have done better? I surely don’t.

Why??? He has an 81% success rate on fg 's over his career (same as Janikowski although many less years), strong leg, and is 27 years old vs 40. Is that enough for you?

Nope. Age is a meaningless number for a kicker. Vinatieri is older than Janikowski and is still one of the best kickers, if not the best, in the league. The fact is that Myers couldn't beat out Sebastian J. when he had the opportunity. He didn't show enough to the coaches to warrant keeping him on the team. So again, no I don't believe Myers would have been better.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• hawkfan68 wrote:
    seabowl wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Why anybody would want Myers on the team is puzzling to me.... he couldn’t beat out Seabass when given the opportunity. What makes anyone think he would have done better? I surely don’t.

Nope. Age is a meaningless number for a kicker. Vinatieri is older than Janikowski and is still one of the best kickers, if not the best, in the league. The fact is that Myers couldn't beat out Sebastian J. when he had the opportunity. He didn't show enough to the coaches to warrant keeping him on the team. So again, no I don't believe Myers would have been better.

Fact, Janikowski missed TWO EXTRA POINTS in the last preseason game and now TWO FG'S yesterday. Something is not right with him. Whether it's age or injury he's just not very good right now. That is why iI'd want Myers.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

• seabowl wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:
    seabowl wrote:

Fact, Janikowski missed TWO EXTRA POINTS in the last preseason game and now TWO FG'S yesterday. Something is not right with him. Whether it's age or injury he's just not very good right now. That is why iI'd want Myers.

I'm not denying that there is a problem. I just don't believe that Myers is the solution. Besides, Myers is unavailable as he's still listed on the NY Jets roster - https://www.newyorkjets.com/team/players-roster/. Bring Dan Bailey in if he's still available. Other than Bailey, there are not many other kickers that would be an upgrade over Sebastian J. Most decent kickers have a team. The big mistake was made last year when they decided not to re-sign Hauschka.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• I thought this would be an interesting thread to revisit. Myers has had a fantastic year and made the Pro Bowl for the Jets. Although Janikowskis leg is stronger which is important, I would be curious to see what others here think on who they would rather have now. It's a tough choice for me.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:16 am
  • Myers based on fact he would be around longer than a year.
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:45 am
  • I'm fine with SeaBass. Without him we don't win at Carolina... Without his 4Q field goal against Green Bay we don't win..... without his field goal against Arizona we don't win. Without Seabass, we could be a 5-9 team right now. He's been alright. Then again.... maybe Myers would have made all of those and the Extra point last week and we could be 9-5 :irishdrinkers: Seabass for this season, bring in an Aussie for competition in the off season.
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:48 am
  • After he gets the game winner on Sunday, I'll feel a lot better about Seabass. Kind of meh on him overall, especially the multiple missed extra points.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:02 am
  • Need more data. Need his longest kick and how many he has made, length of missed ones, length of made ones, and how many were blocked. It is not much...but need that to fully assess Myers.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:52 am
  • Boot his ass out of here! He is unfit to be on a football field and showed that by checking out with his business decision Sunday. Add that to the NO onside kicks made in nearly forever, and you have a no dimensional player. Is everyone really cool about all kickoffs are now 10 vs 11?? :pukeface:

Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:03 am
  • I don't even care that he didn't make a tackle. I do care, very much that he didn't even so much as try. There's no excuse for that crap.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:08 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:I don't even care that he didn't make a tackle. I do care, very much that he didn't even so much as try. There's no excuse for that crap.

Exactly! Make a try and whiff.....fine, but you tried. That shit of stepping out with zero effort is not a good look. Many of these young players MADE the team on special teams. You really going to preach always compete then let that shit slide? Sorry....we JUST saw what the double standard produces and are still trying to clean up that mess. :141847_bnono:

Prob. can't do anything now, but I hope to hell I don't see him next year.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:13 am
  • Stand there and at least make the guy cut back a little. I can't imagine what Dickson would have done to the guy. Guaranteed he would have made a hell of an effort. I'm not buying this he's old crap.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:36 am
  • Janikowski is basically a league average kicker. He's a stop gap for a year or maybe two. We need a young guy to take over, and I think we missed something with Myers.

After last year, I guess they thought Ski was a 'safe' choice. He's been OK, but not really what he was 10 years ago.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Next

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:26 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information