(Edit Myers Cut) Janikowski vs Myers

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
I thought this would be an interesting thread to revisit. Myers has had a fantastic year and made the Pro Bowl for the Jets. Although Janikowskis leg is stronger which is important, I would be curious to see what others here think on who they would rather have now. It's a tough choice for me.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
I'm fine with SeaBass. Without him we don't win at Carolina... Without his 4Q field goal against Green Bay we don't win..... without his field goal against Arizona we don't win. Without Seabass, we could be a 5-9 team right now. He's been alright. Then again.... maybe Myers would have made all of those and the Extra point last week and we could be 9-5 :irishdrinkers: Seabass for this season, bring in an Aussie for competition in the off season.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
After he gets the game winner on Sunday, I'll feel a lot better about Seabass. Kind of meh on him overall, especially the multiple missed extra points.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Need more data. Need his longest kick and how many he has made, length of missed ones, length of made ones, and how many were blocked. It is not much...but need that to fully assess Myers.

Seymour

Reaction score
Boot his ass out of here! He is unfit to be on a football field and showed that by checking out with his business decision Sunday. Add that to the NO onside kicks made in nearly forever, and you have a no dimensional player. Is everyone really cool about all kickoffs are now 10 vs 11?? :pukeface:

Kick Butt ass swift kicking 1

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't even care that he didn't make a tackle. I do care, very much that he didn't even so much as try. There's no excuse for that crap.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2av687s0 said:
I don't even care that he didn't make a tackle. I do care, very much that he didn't even so much as try. There's no excuse for that crap.

Exactly! Make a try and whiff.....fine, but you tried. That shit of stepping out with zero effort is not a good look. Many of these young players MADE the team on special teams. You really going to preach always compete then let that shit slide? Sorry....we JUST saw what the double standard produces and are still trying to clean up that mess. :141847_bnono:

Prob. can't do anything now, but I hope to hell I don't see him next year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Stand there and at least make the guy cut back a little. I can't imagine what Dickson would have done to the guy. Guaranteed he would have made a hell of an effort. I'm not buying this he's old crap.

sutz

Reaction score
Janikowski is basically a league average kicker. He's a stop gap for a year or maybe two. We need a young guy to take over, and I think we missed something with Myers.

After last year, I guess they thought Ski was a 'safe' choice. He's been OK, but not really what he was 10 years ago.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
sutz":2yrezopt said:
Janikowski is basically a league average kicker. He's a stop gap for a year or maybe two. We need a young guy to take over, and I think we missed something with Myers.

After last year, I guess they thought Ski was a 'safe' choice. He's been OK, but not really what he was 10 years ago.

Ski was not Walsh. The gopher in Caddyshack could have beat Walsh out. :twisted:

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2nnz6h7u said:
sutz":2nnz6h7u said:

Ski was not Walsh. The gopher in Caddyshack could have beat Walsh out. :twisted:

But he'd be no match for Bill Murray

QnxclmP

nwHawk

Reaction score
Well, we had both kickers here in preseason, one was a previous Pro Bowler, and one kicked his way to the Pro Bowl THIS year. Needless to say, we pulled an Alex Collins again. Jets fans are thrilled to have him.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":33cnjw6v said:
Seahawkfan80":33cnjw6v said:
sutz":33cnjw6v said:

But he'd be no match for Bill Murray

QnxclmP

Is that Frank Clark before he found the football field?? :lol: :lol:

bmorepunk

Reaction score
nwHawk":3hpvtvlq said:
we pulled an Alex Collins again.

Most of us would agree that keeping Collins would have been the better decision. But people really seem to be overvaluing him. He was barely breaking 3.5 yards a carry this year before his injury. Outside of three games last year, he wasn't fantastic. The stable seems good to great now thanks to improved line play; Collins would have continued to suck last year behind that Seahawks line.

Seymour

Reaction score
bmorepunk":2m9m309z said:
nwHawk":2m9m309z said:
we pulled an Alex Collins again.

Most of us would agree that keeping Collins would have been the better decision. But people really seem to be overvaluing him. He was barely breaking 3.5 yards a carry this year before his injury. Outside of three games last year, he wasn't fantastic. The stable seems good to great now thanks to improved line play; Collins would have continued to suck last year behind that Seahawks line.

Which proves nothing since nobody else could run behind it either. :idea:
All I learned for certain is how clueless Pete is about his oline.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
It proves it didn't end up mattering that much because we have one or more dudes who are as good as Collins. So it's not really worth going back to the well on.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hindsight is a mofo.

It's not hard to see after the Walsh fiasco that Pete and John wanted to bring a little veteran stability to the placekicker position, and not gamble again on a 3rd year kicker that was cut by the Jags for going 11 for 15 and missed two extra points in six games before being cut last year.

Seabass has made some big kicks for us this year. Do I want him for the 2-3 years? No, I'd like to find another Haushka, a kicker we can depend on for 5-7 years, and stop the revolving door of kickers.

But I'm also not going to say Janikowski's been terrible. We're going to probably need him in the playoffs, so we'll see how his Hawk story plays out. Me thinks he might have a big kick or two left in those morbidly obese tree trunks he calls legs.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Janik's piss poor effort on that runback sums up who he is--a "me" person out for himself. I don't care that he's 40, he's still big, strong and very likely could've put a hit into the returner. That TD proved pivotal both in terms of giving SF hope in that game and the loss itself. And then there's another missed XP that may have been costly as well.

Now contrast with Wilson who's 5'10 out there trying to block ppl all the time and willing to make a tackle on an int, etc. He's the ultimate team player. A kicker wears pads for a reason too and acts as a free safety if need be. We can do better and find a decent kicker who's also willing to attempt a damn tackle when necessary instead of calculating injury and insurance premiums.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
nwHawk":hnd9u70u said:
Well, we had both kickers here in preseason, one was a previous Pro Bowler, and one kicked his way to the Pro Bowl THIS year. Needless to say, we pulled an Alex Collins again. Jets fans are thrilled to have him.

Hindsight is 20-20

It made sense to keep Janikowski for his reliability. He's not a pro bowl kicker anymore but if we had a 50 yarder with 3 ticks left I wouldn't be nervous for him to take it.