Serious question: Why did Pete pull Russ in the 4th?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
We were up 9 with like 9 minutes left. Even though we won I still don't understand the decision outside of keeping Russell healthy, however that doesn't make sense with the game in doubt.

I'm just curious to hear what others think, because I thought it was a weird decision.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Why keep him in? See how the rook performs under pressure. Give him some play time. Win or lose we are not going to be second seed. Next game at home regardless.

Omahawk

Reaction score
We knew that the #2 seed was a lost cause by that point. Keep your starters healthy. Easy decision and I applaud him for doing it. No more broken legs. Go into the playoffs as healthy as possible. It was a smart move by a smart coach.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I'm curious to hear coach explain himself for this in his press conference.

He had to realize the #3 and #4 seeds were still up for grabs at that point

OP
OP
N

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3fjt28k7 said:

That was my point, why throw away a higher seed? Seems dumb.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Did you not see two playoff teams have their seasons end last week with Carr and Mariota go down with injuries. It was a gamble and it paid off. Made the game very close but the gamble worked.

Omahawk

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3rw59ouy said:

But we don't know which team we get by being #3 or 4. It would depend on the Packers game tonight. I'd rather play the Giants than the Packers. The only argument that could be made is that if both the 3 and 4 seeds win in the wild card round and then both take down the 1 and 2 seeds, then 3 seed would be able to host the NFC championship game. Those odds are pretty bad and I'd rather rest our guys. You saw how chippy it was getting at the end. Someone could've easily gotten hurt or suspended.

strohmin

Reaction score
because Russell need to be benched to get his head out of his behind

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
3 or 4 seed??? Who cares. Is that worth risking injury? Like I said nice to see the rook get play time under pressure.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Stupid decision

The Giants are red hot.

Plus the three seed still have a shot at home field in the championship. Most likely not getting home as a four seed.

Once again out thinking themselves and getting exposed since we are no longer dominant.

Jville

Reaction score
To get Boykin some meaningful snaps.

And, to add the drama that demands the focus to the finish of the game as a complete team effort.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Omahawk":1n1cy431 said:
Jerhawk":1n1cy431 said:

But we don't know which team we get by being #3 or 4. It would depend on the Packers game tonight. I'd rather play the Giants than the Packers. The only argument that could be made is that if both the 3 and 4 seeds win in the wild card round and then both take down the 1 and 2 seeds, then 3 seed would be able to host the NFC championship game. Those odds are pretty bad and I'd rather rest our guys. You saw how chippy it was getting at the end. Someone could've easily gotten hurt or suspended.

Excellent points. Wilson getting injured would've been terrible, but not likely considering they were just trying to run down the clock at that point imo.

Btw, the Giants scare me a bit more than Green Bay. The Packers have yet to prove they can win in Seattle. Plus, we're more likely to play Detroit, which is much more winnable, something that wouldn't have been possible had we lost and dropped to #4

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NJlargent":13bag7vg said:
Stupid decision

The Giants are red hot.

Plus the three seed still have a shot at home field in the championship. Most likely not getting home as a four seed.

Once again out thinking themselves and getting exposed since we are no longer dominant.
THIS!

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Do you think the coaches and teams play the game according to who they may play in the playoffs. That is fan talk. They don't care how they play. Its all football to them.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
I thought I read RWs lips when Pete was talking to him he was saying I'm fine and looked anyonyed . Now it could have been just me and it probably is but I like to rewind that to see if I was right.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I realize this is irrelevant to the big scheme, but to someone who has huge faith in the Hawks and backed that with a little money put down in Vegas, I was extremely disappointed with that decision.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":3hve2y2t said:
Do you think the coaches and teams play the game according to who they may play in the playoffs. That is fan talk. They don't care how they play. Its all football to them.

Exactly. You play to win the game. Putting Boykin in up by 9 with plenty of time left doesn't jive with the "always compete" montra

warden

Reaction score
Omahawk":2sv8y23k said:
Jerhawk":2sv8y23k said:

I'd rather play the Lions over the Packers or Giants