Serious question: Why did Pete pull Russ in the 4th?

Foghawk

Reaction score
hawkfannj":1hbpq9gm said:
I thought I read RWs lips when Pete was talking to him he was saying I'm fine and looked anyonyed . Now it could have been just me and it probably is but I like to rewind that to see if I was right.

I felt it was kind of an anti-always compete move, but with a win in the books I doubt any players are going to waste any thought on it moving forward. Plus, that's just Russ being Russ. Guy could have a broken leg and still want to play.

mikeak

Reaction score
There was a decent chance for the redskins when the change happened.

It was a bad decision that worked out fine

Like going for 2 at end up game up 7....

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":a48ihsla said:
3 or 4 seed??? Who cares. Is that worth risking injury? Like I said nice to see the rook get play time under pressure.
If the 3 and 4 make it to semi finals it certainly does matter.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Might have pulled him a bit earlier than I was comfortable with, but that's why Pete is earning the big $$$$ and I'm sitting on the couch watching.

After a brief period of crapping himself, Boykin looked good! He's taller than Russ, and every bit as quick as the old Russel used to be. Give him time to learn how to think NFL-quick from the position, and he might develop into a legit threat as a QB.

getnasty

Reaction score
I no neither happend but what if we lost that game by benching Wilson and the Saints ended up winning in Atlanta. Both of those scenarios weren't to far from happening.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I was good with it, but I'm guessing they didn't think the Niners were going to score that last TD.

warden

Reaction score
The number three seed is so important for I would rather play Atlanta in the second round over Dallas

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
strohmin":35yvqu2e said:
because Russell need to be benched to get his head out of his behind

What a bunch of nonsense

He was fine and a second straight week of no turnovers.

We lost Russ to injury last time we played the 49ers when we were up 2 scores and some people blamed Pete for leaving him in.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":1t5toa9q said:
I was good with it, but I'm guessing they didn't think the Niners were going to score that last TD.

To your point the 49ers hadn't scored on offense in almost 40 minutes until they got that last TD

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
warden":3bhvwi2u said:
The number three seed is so important for I would rather play Atlanta in the second round over Dallas

I get your reasoning but I think Seattle matches up a little bit better with Dallas. Their elite OL vs. our elite DL. I fear Ryan more than Dak against our secondary.

Doesn't matter, if we win next week we get Atlanta.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Showed faith in the whole team, even the backups. Great way to win. Suddenly it's not garbage time anymore--the backups stay in and win it. Gutsy call--GREAT call.

rcaido

Reaction score
Players were getting chippy w/ each other...Teams with nothing to lose like to spoil teams, especially division rivalries...Remember they took out Baldwin & Rawls too.

Seahawks couldn't afford to lose anyone else w/ injuries.

LolaRox

Reaction score
Pete said they heard what was going on in the other (NO/ATL) game and saw an opportunity to 'take care of some guys' that is why he took Russ, Mike B, Jimmy, Doug and some others out. He said he felt like he was in outer space doing it and was uncomfortable because he doesn't remember ever doing it like that, but wanted to give some guys less of a pounding before next week.

Sounds like he was only concerned with the chance for 2nd seed and 3rd v 4th didn't matter.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
LolaRox":2umfd03r said:
Pete said they heard what was going on in the other (NO/ATL) game and saw an opportunity to 'take care of some guys' that is why he took Russ, Mike B, Jimmy, Doug and some others out. He said he felt like he was in outer space doing it and was uncomfortable because he doesn't remember ever doing it like that, but wanted to give some guys less of a pounding before next week.

Sounds like he was only concerned with the chance for 2nd seed and 3rd v 4th didn't matter.
Bingo, because only 2nd seed would have given them a by break.

replicant

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":3w18arwz said:
LolaRox":3w18arwz said:

Bingo, because only 2nd seed would have given them a by break.

This, and maybe Boykin goes to Pete and says he thinks he can start in this league but knows he'll never get a chance behind Russ. So he asks Pete to showcase him before the season ends with the possibility of being traded to another team in the offseason. Am I on to something or just ON something?

jake206

Reaction score
Because he only cared about getting the bye in playoffs, otherwise, I doubt he really cared that much about matchups, IMO. He treats all opponents the same, not any better or worse