Can we put to bed the myth about our offense?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
At the start of the year, there was a lot of buzz about how the offense was going to overtake the defense as the strongest part of the team.

Can we officially put that weird rumor to bed now? This team wins because of the defense.

We have come back with the offense and scored some, sometimes to take leads but without the incredible job by the defense when the offense continually does nothing for a half (or in this case an entire game), this team would have accomplished nowhere near as much.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2rp47au0 said:
At the start of the year, there was a lot of buzz about how the offense was going to overtake the defense as the strongest part of the team.

Can we officially put that weird rumor to bed now? This team wins because of the defense.

We have come back with the offense and scored some, sometimes to take leads but without the incredible job by the defense when the offense continually does nothing for a half (or in this case an entire game), this team would have accomplished nowhere near as much.

Not sure I have seen that narrative too much around here.

You sure your not blowing that storyline up a little bit?

As a side note, we see this up and down from our offense every year. Literally every year.

It sucks and it needs to be better, but tonight wasnt indicative of some bigger problem. Its the same stuff we always see, and the offense usually bounces back the following week to be just fine.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
unfortunately i have to agree. Defense has to pitch near shutouts for the team to have a chance it seems. They need Rawls back healthy...then again whos gonna block for him to getta hole to run through.

RussB

Reaction score
The talent is there, i just dont get why they cant consistenly put up points.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
RussB":32ruy46p said:

The overreaction to one game is too much.

Concern is valid, but we see this every year, and the offense was fine the previous three games.

We know Bevell sucks, but we have overcome him before, we can do it again.

Lets re-evaluate the offense in a few weeks and see where they are at.

Rob12

Reaction score
I think this offense misses Beast a lot.

I know that the offense put up huge numbers over the second half of last season, but that was when their backs were against the wall after a terrible start to the season. And, that's when this team is at it's best - when the chips are down.

We need capable tackles. Sowell and Gilliam are both below average, fringe guys. Good DE's eat them both alive and they have to overcompensate which leads to penalties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
At the start of the year, especially in the preseason, that was absolutely the line they were selling.

This was the year, with Wilson, Rawls, and a healthy Graham that the team started winning more because of the offense than the defense.

The problem is that players ARE great, but you could give Bevell Barry Sanders in his prime along with Steve Young and Jerry Rice and he could still probably screw it up. It doesn't matter though.

This team wins because of the defense.

Rob12

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2aghvu5g said:
TwistedHusky":2aghvu5g said:

Not sure I have seen that narrative too much around here.

You sure your not blowing that storyline up a little bit?

As a side note, we see this up and down from our offense every year. Literally every year.

It sucks and it needs to be better, but tonight wasnt indicative of some bigger problem. Its the same stuff we always see, and the offense usually bounces back the following week to be just fine.

No, he's right. It was all over the place in training camp. HawkBlogger, FieldGulls, The Seattle Times... I'm not going to dig up posts but it was here, too. The belief was the offense had at least caught up to the defense.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":19i64i6o said:
At the start of the year, especially in the preseason, that was absolutely the line they were selling.

This was the year, with Wilson, Rawls, and a healthy Graham that the team started winning more because of the offense than the defense.

The problem is that players ARE great, but you could give Bevell Barry Sanders in his prime along with Steve Young and Jerry Rice and he could still probably screw it up. It doesn't matter though.

I guess a few people may have said that. Not the vast majority though, cmon.

And of course this team wins because of the defense, although last week we all wanted to put them on a skewer.

Funny how the emotions swing from week to week.

Rob12

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3p1wzhtj said:
TwistedHusky":3p1wzhtj said:

And of course this team wins because of the defense, although last week we all wanted to put them on a skewer.

The emotions are deserved. We have an elite (though a bit banged up) QB, good receivers, and an elite receiving TE. Yet, this team has put up the same exact amount of points as the Brian Hoyer/Jay Cutler led Chicago Bears.

111 points in six games (18.5 PPG) is going to get the emotions going.

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I dunno, I think I have been pretty consistent in my searing hatred of Bevell. Even when he wins I point out he sucks.

because he does....and winning a few games that your defense keeps you in until your QB hero balls it, does not change that .

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Rob12":1m0pp1wy said:
Hawkpower":1m0pp1wy said:
TwistedHusky":1m0pp1wy said:

The emotions are deserved. We have an elite (though a bit banged up) QB, good receivers, and an elite receiving TE. Yet, this team has put up the same exact amount of points as the Brian Hoyer/Jay Cutler led Chicago Bears.

28th in the league... you know who's 27th at 18.6? The Cleveland Browns.

Do you feel that seat getting hot Bevell?

kf3339

Reaction score
This team in many ways reminds me of the 1999 Ravens team. An historic, crushing defense and an absolutely pathetic offense. No other way to look at it.

Seafan

Reaction score
We have a better OL than last year and the OC can't figure out how to call a quick pass. We have the best receiver on the planet, throw to him every play!!!!!

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1i7r61w5 said:

Do you feel that seat getting hot Bevell?[/quote]

What is especially disappointing is the fact that we scored over 30 points in this stadium last year. What changed?

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
They learned from that & adjusted....like a reasonably decent coordinator is supposed to.

We went in with no gameplan because we use the 1st half to probe for weaknesses to figure out our game plan at the half.

It shouldn't be a mystery that won't work consistently, right?

You cannot just come in, screw around for 2 quarters, and expect the light bulb to go off so you can start producing. Remember the other team is trying to score during all this too.

Our DC comes with the a gameplan, sometimes effective, sometimes not. But the OC just comes in banging on different parts of the fence looking for weaknesses. It is almost as if he doesn't scout or watch film.

Just maddening.

NINEster

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2yezb5aw said:
NFSeahawks628":2yezb5aw said:

Do you feel that seat getting hot Bevell?

What is especially disappointing is the fact that we scored over 30 points in this stadium last year. What changed?[/quote]

A must win for AZ versus not a must win?

NINEster

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":znkrcihh said:
They learned from that & adjusted....like a reasonably decent coordinator is supposed to.

We went in with no gameplan because we use the 1st half to probe for weaknesses to figure out our game plan at the half.

It shouldn't be a mystery that won't work consistently, right?

You cannot just come in, screw around for 2 quarters, and expect the light bulb to go off so you can start producing. Remember the other team is trying to score during all this too.

Our DC comes with the a gameplan, sometimes effective, sometimes not. But the OC just comes in banging on different parts of the fence looking for weaknesses. It is almost as if he doesn't scout or watch film.

Just maddening.

Who are you going to get who is better?

Every team wants a new OC.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
RussB":1i3xgv0u said:
Whiffed blocks and holding penalties sprinkled with a few bad snaps but you get what you pay for.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":exkskiie said:
I dunno, I think I have been pretty consistent in my searing hatred of Bevell. Even when he wins I point out he sucks.

because he does....and winning a few games that your defense keeps you in until your QB hero balls it, does not change that .
You and I don't agree on many things, but we agree on this. We've seen his schtick for years now. He just can't go with what's working. Anyone who thinks he's a genius after a big win with big offensive output is wrong. Bevell is one of the worst in the business.