What's going to happen at left tackle?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Fant or other? Browns have said they want a second round pick for Joe Thomas but I'm not sure we have the cap room.

Hawks46

Reaction score
We don't have the cap room, but we could restructure a couple of contracts.

I would do Thomas for a 2nd rounder like. NOW.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Probably competition between Webb and Gilliam. Not sure we shouldn't kick the rook out to RT already and at least get more size on the field. I think Webb somehow makes it onto the field either way.

Quick and dirty Madden trades aren't going to happen.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3d2mic1p said:
Probably competition between Webb and Gilliam. Not sure we shouldn't kick the rook out to RT already and at least get more size on the field. I think Webb somehow makes it onto the field either way.

Quick and dirty Madden trades aren't going to happen.

It's not a madden pick when the Browns say in the media they will part with him for a second round pick.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Hawks46":3fqitbd8 said:
We don't have the cap room, but we could restructure a couple of contracts.

I would do Thomas for a 2nd rounder like. NOW.

Me too. The OL was already in a world of trouble, losing our LT is potentially season-altering when looking at our depth and inexperience.

JS needs to be on the hot phone - immediately.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Ifedi to LT Odhiambo to RG. Or Odhiambo to LT and leave Ifedi at RG.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Unless they can negotiate and sign a good LT then my guess is Gill to LT and Webb to RT. That was the plan going in to the preseason before Webb couldn't practice.

hawker84

Reaction score
Place a tackling dummy out there? can't be any worse than what's behind Sowell. We're in trouble unless the coaching staff can bring someone in.

As much as I love our D, we've got to start improving the O line, I don't care how good your D is, if you can't score , you're going to lose more than you win (or tie) as you saw last night.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":2ao7jwrg said:
LeftHandSmoke":2ao7jwrg said:
Unless they can negotiate and sign a good LT then my guess is Gill to LT and Webb to RT. That was the plan going in to the preseason before Webb couldn't practice.

Good tackles just growing on trees at this point?
Obviously not but as the OP points out, Thomas is available for a 2nd round pick.

No idea the cap / contracts / renegotiation / etc details the FO is facing but the pick itself should be a non-factor when it comes to getting a bona fide / known-quantity / sure-thing LT.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
The problem with Cleveland is a 2nd rounder from SEA is a late 2nd rounder, or late 50's to early 60's pick in the draft, which to them may be the equivalent of a 3rd round pick...CLE is picking in the top 3 again based on where they are right now.

Brock and Salk mentioned Joe Staley out of SF as another option, but he's not THAT much better than Sowell.

The cap remains a non-issue, it would require a cash-run by agents looking to move money up for their clients, with JS and PC are probably not looking to do....Thomas has not missed a start in his career and can probably handle the job, but if you traded for him and he then got injured, you would be missing the window this year and a valuable starting caliber pick in the Top 60 next year....that is the equal of a Frank Clark, Jarran Reed, Tyler Lockett type of player and I'd actually rather roll with Fant at LT than plug Webb in. I also want to eventually see what the line looks like by Week 10-12, once Russell's legs get stronger and his ankle fully heals to a point of more mobility.

The goal is to not panic and make roster moves until we know exactly what Sowell's status is....if it's 3-5 weeks, you stand pat....if it's a season ending injury, I think you can only make that move for Staley or Thomas if it's a 3rd rounder and a conditional 6th....no way are they getting a 2nd rounder from anyone.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":36owopwe said:
Brock and Salk mentioned Joe Staley out of SF as another option, but he's not THAT much better than Sowell.

What is this based on?

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I think it's Fant's job now, pending the injury severity of Sowell. I think Fant has the tools to be a quality starting LT.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":pd49l1i5 said:
Brock and Salk mentioned Joe Staley out of SF as another option, but he's not THAT much better than Sowell..

Other than being a 5 times Pro Bowler?

IMO Staley makes more sense, as he's only making 5.5M this year due to resigning with the Niners in the off season...............and he's far more familiar with our zone blocking scheme. Thomas is not, and the learning curve is higher, as well as the salary.

Problem is would the Niners trade Staley to their rival? My guess is yes, but the asking price would be more.

It doesn't matter to me, we can't go the rest of the year with Fant as our starting LT, we just can't. Dude has like 30 snaps of experience his ENTIRE career. DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO GO GET STALEY OR THOMAS. PERIOD.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":1t74gubw said:
Call me crazy, but I think it's Fant's job now, pending the injury severity of Sowell. I think Fant has the tools to be a quality starting LT.

That would be downright scary. He didn't play OL at all in college, right? When he did play in college, at Western Kentucky, he only played 1 year, right? Played sparingly that 1 year, at TE, right? Is a Cable project, with very few NFL snaps, right? Sounds like the ideal profile for your blind side tackle. Especially for protecting a hobbled QB.

He'll complete the job of getting Wilson in a body cast by year end.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I'd like to see a link to where the Browns are willing to give Thomas away for a 2nd. Everything i've heard is a first PLUS something else........

xgeoff

Reaction score
Silver Hawk":1wkljl2q said:
Thepeelsessions":1wkljl2q said:

That would be downright scary. He didn't play OL at all in college, right? When he did play in college, at Western Kentucky, he only played 1 year, right? Played sparingly that 1 year, at TE, right? Is a Cable project, with very few NFL snaps, right? Sounds like the ideal profile for your blind side tackle. Especially for protecting a hobbled QB.

My biggest problem with him is that he can't seem to get himself in front of defensive linemen. Which is strange cause in basketball, getting in front of guys who have the ball is _what_you_do_!!!!

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
xgeoff":1sdxtg6f said:
Silver Hawk":1sdxtg6f said:
Thepeelsessions":1sdxtg6f said:

My biggest problem with him is that he can't seem to get himself in front of defensive linemen. Which is strange cause in basketball, getting in front of guys who have the ball is _what_you_do_!!!!

He made a real nice lunge at some Cardinal going around him last night. Got a holding penalty out of it. So......he fits in.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
If the Browns say they are willing to part with Thomas for a 2nd round pick then you know that he can be had for less. Its much the same when you sell a car or something on craigslist. There is your asking price and then there is the actual lower price that you will accept. Either they get something/anything for him now or they lose him for nothing in the offseason. JS offers a 5th and they end up doing the deal for a 3rd.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
Let's be real. This management isn't the type to make a decision like trading for Thomas or Staley mid season. As much as we need to do it, we won't.

What will happen is we'll move Gilliam to LT and Webb at RT. That was supposed to be the lineup originally. And the line will be the same or close to as bad as it was before. Hell maybe the right side will be better because Webb is a bigger guy to run behind.