What's going to happen at left tackle?

Jville

Reaction score
George Fant ........ opportunity knocks!

Ozzy

Reaction score
Fant seemed to stabilize it last night but I don't know if that was him or the AZ defense getting tired etc. Maybe he should get a shot.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Scribbled/general notes from listening to PC while talking to B & S this morning. He brought up Fant as his first thing when asked about Sowell.

rough quotes
On defensive effort
Remarkable how they kept believing, many extraordinary moments, despite the offense struggling.
Goal line stand, hung tough, believing in the scheme. Kelcie’s tackle. Bobby’s hit at the goal line. Was hard physically. Gave everything they had.

Offense struggled but kept trying, got it going a bit eventually.

Team felt ‘frustrated’ because we had a chance to win.

Better than a loss.

We’ll take it.

On offense
On play calls – Only 14 plays in first half, didn’t get through the list.
3rd downs, had manageable ones in the 1st half but couldn’t convert. Ran it 3 times, passed 11 times in first half. Not enough plays to ‘learn’ anything from how the defense was playing us.

Run game: We’ve gone where it’s easier for us. C Mike is hitting it, we are still committed, 3rd down stuff (refers to first half). Gave up only 1 sack, RW did not have to scramble, got the ball out very quickly. Will continue to develop our guys. There’s a difference without Thomas Rawls. RW is not running at all, that’s not available to us yet. Will come in time.
Jimmy was a big factor in blocking and catching in OT.
RW has had no setbacks but is still not in the mode to just take off. He will go when he can go, is not ready to. A lot of guys would have missed 3 or 4 games by now.

On Sowell. Don’t yet know the severity. On if they need to look outside the org: Fant has made enormous progress, busting his tail, got more comfortable as game went on. We have options with Webb too. JS is all over it but who’s going to ‘just give you a tackle’ at this time of the year?

Could almost have scored off both blocks.

Players paid a price, team took a long time to get out of the stadium, took care of the guys. Heat issue even more than hydration issue.

aredub

Reaction score
I don't really see us going out and getting Joe Thomas, I think we do sign someone. My guess would be Keavon Milton, he's been with us in the past so he knows our system. He is currently on the cowboys practice squad. Even then I bet it's patch work at LT and having a TE over there to help block no matter who it is. Milton will at least provide a little more depth but might not start. Just my thought though.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Silver Hawk":1t9yrpzw said:
Thepeelsessions":1t9yrpzw said:
Call me crazy, but I think it's Fant's job now, pending the injury severity of Sowell. I think Fant has the tools to be a quality starting LT.

That would be downright scary. He didn't play OL at all in college, right? When he did play in college, at Western Kentucky, he only played 1 year, right? Played sparingly that 1 year, at TE, right? Is a Cable project, with very few NFL snaps, right? Sounds like the ideal profile for your blind side tackle. Especially for protecting a hobbled QB.

He'll complete the job of getting Wilson in a body cast by year end.
Calm down there, slick. You can't deny the fact that in the amount of time he he was in there last night, he looked much better than Sowell, with the exception of the move Jones (an elite edge rusher) put on him. Give him a few games

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
If we sign Joe Thomas then we might not be able to extend Kam, Bennet or Shead. Unless Russ, Earl, Baldwin, Wagner or Sherm wants to take some cuts I just don't see us getting Thomas.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":2jfbvo8e said:
Silver Hawk":2jfbvo8e said:
Thepeelsessions":2jfbvo8e said:
Call me crazy, but I think it's Fant's job now, pending the injury severity of Sowell. I think Fant has the tools to be a quality starting LT.

That would be downright scary. He didn't play OL at all in college, right? When he did play in college, at Western Kentucky, he only played 1 year, right? Played sparingly that 1 year, at TE, right? Is a Cable project, with very few NFL snaps, right? Sounds like the ideal profile for your blind side tackle. Especially for protecting a hobbled QB.

Calm down there, slick. You can't deny the fact that in the amount of time he he was in there last night, he looked much better than Sowell, with the exception of the move Jones (an elite edge rusher) put on him. Give him a few games

Well, I don't really have to calm down for you. So, there is that.

What I did see is that he whiffed on a Cardinal, grabbed him and got his holding penalty. He looked lost. If you think his profile makes him ready to play and you want him protecting the franchise QB's blind side, well, there just isn't much to be debated.

Carry on, slick.

Jville

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":8x297jk8 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/790625834512121856[/tweet]

That news will crush those who have lost all hope. :roll:

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Silver Hawk":2ho6k2f6 said:
Thepeelsessions":2ho6k2f6 said:
Silver Hawk":2ho6k2f6 said:
Thepeelsessions":2ho6k2f6 said:

Well, I don't really have to calm down for you. So, there is that.

What I did see is that he whiffed on a Cardinal, grabbed him and got his holding penalty. He looked lost. If you think his profile makes him ready to play and you want him protecting the franchise QB's blind side, well, there just isn't much to be debated.

Carry on, slick.
Some people :roll:

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Jville":1b6g7zaz said:
KitsapGuy":1b6g7zaz said:

That's about as believable as a GM saying a coach's job is safe....

Of course they will listen to offers, they would be dumb not to.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":15j3bx3n said:
Scribbled/general notes from listening to PC while talking to B & S this morning. He brought up Fant as his first thing when asked about Sowell.

rough quotes
On defensive effort
Remarkable how they kept believing, many extraordinary moments, despite the offense struggling.
Goal line stand, hung tough, believing in the scheme. Kelcie’s tackle. Bobby’s hit at the goal line. Was hard physically. Gave everything they had.

Offense struggled but kept trying, got it going a bit eventually.

Team felt ‘frustrated’ because we had a chance to win.

Better than a loss.

We’ll take it.

On offense
On play calls – Only 14 plays in first half, didn’t get through the list.
3rd downs, had manageable ones in the 1st half but couldn’t convert. Ran it 3 times, passed 11 times in first half. Not enough plays to ‘learn’ anything from how the defense was playing us.

Run game: We’ve gone where it’s easier for us. C Mike is hitting it, we are still committed, 3rd down stuff (refers to first half). Gave up only 1 sack, RW did not have to scramble, got the ball out very quickly. Will continue to develop our guys. There’s a difference without Thomas Rawls. RW is not running at all, that’s not available to us yet. Will come in time.
Jimmy was a big factor in blocking and catching in OT.
RW has had no setbacks but is still not in the mode to just take off. He will go when he can go, is not ready to. A lot of guys would have missed 3 or 4 games by now.

On Sowell. Don’t yet know the severity. On if they need to look outside the org: Fant has made enormous progress, busting his tail, got more comfortable as game went on. We have options with Webb too. JS is all over it but who’s going to ‘just give you a tackle’ at this time of the year?

Could almost have scored off both blocks.

Players paid a price, team took a long time to get out of the stadium, took care of the guys. Heat issue even more than hydration issue.

Really appreciate the write up on this one Lefty!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":1i8dl2sx said:
Fant seemed to stabilize it last night but I don't know if that was him or the AZ defense getting tired etc. Maybe he should get a shot.
This is what I saw.I thought Fant made that line look huge and deserves another game with the practice reps prior

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":29pnpjl5 said:
Jville":29pnpjl5 said:
KitsapGuy":29pnpjl5 said:

That's about as believable as a GM saying a coach's job is safe....

Of course they will listen to offers, they would be dumb not to.

The Browns have been asked this question many times in the past, and have continued to keep him on their team. There is a definite shortage of high quality left tackles in the NFL, so for a fair price someone would have likely traded for him by now. Obviously they'd take offers if they were crazy over the top. We shouldn't be paying anything strong enough to be considered crazy over the top.

raisethe3

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":2qwm2x7a said:
Unless they can negotiate and sign a good LT then my guess is Gill to LT and Webb to RT. That was the plan going in to the preseason before Webb couldn't practice.

If Gilliam is terrible at RT, then how will moving to LT make it any better? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I'd trade a 2nd in a heart beat.
Cut Kearse
Cut some others, just make it happen.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
raisethe3":tvv87smg said:
LeftHandSmoke":tvv87smg said:
Unless they can negotiate and sign a good LT then my guess is Gill to LT and Webb to RT. That was the plan going in to the preseason before Webb couldn't practice.

If Gilliam is terrible at RT, then how will moving to LT make it any better? Doesn't make any sense to me.

:snack:

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Silver Hawk":1vye0ehx said:
raisethe3":1vye0ehx said:
LeftHandSmoke":1vye0ehx said:

:snack:
Sounds like from Kiro that Sowell has an MCL, out several weeks, and they are leaning toward giving Fant the shot at LT.