Quinton Jefferson.

Mick063

Reaction score
Not nearly enough mention of this guy.

From my vantage, easily the most impressive newcomer. This guy is going to play early and often.

By week 5 we will be calling him the steal of the draft.

Believe it.

legend38

Reaction score
I didn't get to see the draft because of my work schedule but as soon as it was over I watched YouTube Highlight Reels of all of our picks. I walked away thinking, damn that Quinton Jefferson dude looks legit!!!!

2_0_6

Reaction score
Sometimes there is no better motivation than a wife and some kids to stay on the grind. Some rookies take it for granted, while some bust their butt and earn it.

This team has some hungry dogs with a chip on their shoulder, I love it.

kf3339

Reaction score
Jefferson is my adopt a rookie (defense side) and really have high hopes for him. It wouldn't surprise me if he is not starting at 3tech before the end of this year. At least I hope so.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1oltd5d7 said:
Sometimes there is no better motivation than a wife and some kids to stay on the grind. Some rookies take it for granted, while some bust their butt and earn it.

and sometimes they are just pretty good players,

kf3339

Reaction score
Smellyman":18ahimft said:
Hawk_Nation":18ahimft said:

I think having family obligations is a great motivation for a player. Look what it did with Bennett when he talked about holding out for more money. His wife told him to get his A#$ back to work last off-season. She may have done it again this year as well.

As for Jefferson I think having a young wife and three very young kids is a major motivation for him. But yes he is also a very good player and could become a great player for us! :irishdrinkers:

Seafan

Reaction score
Pete regrets not playing Clark more. IMO he and JS appreciate the special depth they had in 2013 that allowed the team to rotate their line so effectively. You aren't going to be able to tell if Clark is a starter this year. Hopefully, QJ, Reed, McDaniel, etc also get a lot of snaps as well. Smith, Marsh and Tupou may also factor in.

dbmack

Reaction score
kf3339":2zwtgxtz said:
Smellyman":2zwtgxtz said:
Hawk_Nation":2zwtgxtz said:

I think having family obligations is a great motivation for a player. Look what it did with Bennett when he talked about holding out for more money. His wife told him to get his A#$ back to work last off-season. She may have done it again this year as well.

As for Jefferson I think having a young wife and three very young kids is a major motivation for him. But yes he is also a very good player and could become a great player for us! :irishdrinkers:
He doesn't want to go back to working at Best Buy.

jimbojones31

Reaction score
Thought he looked great in pre-season. Versatile too - 5T, nickel pass rusher, looked surprisingly strong against the run too which was cool. He just looks like he gets it. High hopes

kearly

Reaction score
Jefferson has looked a little different in the NFL than he did in college, but that's a good thing. Pete likes 3-tech DTs who are run first. That's the kind of player Jefferson has become, and he looks good in that role. Any time you find a longtime quality starter with a 5th round pick, you did good. That appears to be the case with Jefferson. Certainly makes giving up a 4th rounder next year easier to swallow.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Jefferson stood out to me too in the Preseason games.

Another guy who did, consistently, was #44 who also had a pick-six. Was that Robinson and whoever it was, did he get cut? Looked like a PS candidate if not better.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
kearly":3di5k1af said:
Jefferson has looked a little different in the NFL than he did in college, but that's a good thing. Pete likes 3-tech DTs who are run first. That's the kind of player Jefferson has become, and he looks good in that role. Any time you find a longtime quality starter with a 5th round pick, you did good. That appears to be the case with Jefferson. Certainly makes giving up a 4th rounder next year easier to swallow.

I feel like we have plenty (McDaniel, Rubin) of run stuffing 3-Techs and not enough pass rushing 3-techs a la Clinton McDonald. I hope he develops those pass rushing skills for the backstretch b/c those seems to be central to our Superb Owl push (See also: J. Hill).

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":6hfyt4jx said:

Another guy who did, consistently, was #44 who also had a pick-six. Was that Robinson and whoever it was, did he get cut? Looked like a PS candidate if not better.

Yes, Ryan Robinson. He was cut and did not sign on the P.S. He is a free agent.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":247lhz7v said:
LeftHandSmoke":247lhz7v said:

Yes, Ryan Robinson. He was cut and did not sign on the P.S. He is a free agent.
Thanks, dang. Here's hoping the new DT Smith is even more impressive.

kf3339

Reaction score
jdemps":2uzc0lso said:
kearly":2uzc0lso said:

I feel like we have plenty (McDaniel, Rubin) of run stuffing 3-Techs and not enough pass rushing 3-techs a la Clinton McDonald. I hope he develops those pass rushing skills for the backstretch b/c those seems to be central to our Superb Owl push (See also: J. Hill).

I wouldn't give up on Jefferson being a pass rushing 3tech just yet. A few preseason games in his rookie year doesn't prove he can't become a dominant 3tech pass rusher, as well as dominant run stuffer.

It's his rookie year after all. Lets give him a couple years of coaching and playing before we determine what he has or will become. I saw a player who consistently pushed his blocker(s) back into the backfield and seemed to shread his blocks without difficulty.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I like Reed slightly more but I'm excited about getting him and Jefferson this year. Both look like starters for a long time. Add in Clark and I really like where I D-Line is headed.