Carroll: Russ could've done a better job on the four sacks

Seafan

Reaction score
That was obvious from watching the game. They were on him which is a bit concerning.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
That's how it looked in the stands as well. Ball needed to come out on three of those sacks. The jailbreak looked like multiple blown assignments which I assume meant the protection was going one way and we ended up doubling (maybe tripling) some guys while letting 2 go free.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
IMHO, Russ could have and should have made the decision to scramble a bit sooner on those plays. If he had he probably would've broke free. Now the real question is, if the game counted would he have gotten away from those defenders or not?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Is there a "Preseason Russ" and "Real Game Russ"?

I think so. It's a fair question. I don't think getting paid has anything to do with it. I feel he may just go 75% for the preseason...He would never admit it but I have to believe that to make me feel better so there dammit.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
That final sack when he got sacked by the white safety (not Harrison smith), I was afraid he had broke his leg. It was an awkward tackle

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":zc3rm2e2 said:
IMHO, Russ could have and should have made the decision to scramble a bit sooner on those plays. If he had he probably would've broke free. Now the real question is, if the game counted would he have gotten away from those defenders or not?

I felt the same way here, Russ should of left earlier once he saw the breakdown, but I think mentally he was stuck being the Elusive Russ and Pocket Passing Russ. What I saw was he hung onto the ball thinking that he had enough protection to see if his WRs would get open and when he didn't he left a bit late to do his runaround. He would normally storm out first if he saw that danger was coming. I think it was pounded in his head to stay in the pocket since last season, but the Elusive Russ thinks he can make that play but a few seconds late though.

The sacks were on him and the good thing is, it's preseason and it's best to get the worst out now. He's shown to fix things needed every year. So I'm not worried, even if it's 8 games in.

That last sack those defender stayed on him for a long time, I'm pretty sure they were saying stuff to him. He might of gotten hurt and we probably wouldn't know it.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Russell was not very good last night. As much as he has improved his game from his rookie year, one thing he hasn't got better in is throwing the ball away and not taking a sack. He was terrible in that regard yesterday.

rcaido

Reaction score
i still rather have Russell make plays then throw the ball away. Its been working for him for a long time now why change it. But yeah he had a terrible game yesterday, his awareness was way off.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2n51foas said:
That final sack when he got sacked by the white safety (not Harrison smith), I was afraid he had broke his leg. It was an awkward tackle

They were the road team, weren't they all white?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
It looked like he ran himself into a couple of those and didn't make more than a half arse effort to escape. Maybe being a meaningless game it wasn't worth the risk. The receivers and TEs didn't help him out much either. Way too many drops.

sc85sis

Reaction score
On the one sack I wondered if Russ has lost a step or he just didn't realize how fast/quick Everson Griffen is.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
sc85sis":2d6r4owo said:
On the one sack I wondered if Russ has lost a step or he just didn't realize how fast/quick Everson Griffen is.

Yep....I agree. Russ just did not look as quick as he has in the past. I wonder if he ran a 40 meter in Training Camp for comparison?

253hawk

Reaction score
Griffen runs a faster 40 than Russ, and he doesn't have to carry the ball. Russ also wasn't running at full speed because he still had his eyes downfield and was setting up to throw. It's very difficult to throw once you get up around 75-80% of your top speed.