The "Reasons To Keep Marshawn" Thread

timmat

Reaction score
This is not intended to be a debate thread. There have been many good points made in other threads regarding why Marshawn should be done in Seattle. So if you're inclined to make a post from that perspective, there are other "Thanks But See Ya Later" type threads available to you.

But let's see some reasons why the Hawks should consider bringing him back. Here are a few of mine:

Health - With less pounding this year and a longer off-season, Marshawn could be really fresh for next year (with the big assumption he fully heels from the surgery).

Performance - Beast still looked fierce to me. The O line was terrible at the beginning of the year when he got most of his touches. Not much any RB (or QB) can do when they are greeted in the backfield by multiple defenders as soon as you receive the ball. O line wasn't great in SB years either, but the beginning of this year took it to a new low.

Financial - Beast counts $5 mil or so against the cap next year, even if we cut him. So for a net addition of $6 mil or so, you can have Marshawn Lynch. If you cut Lynch and bring in another veteran to round out the RB corps, anyone decent will be at least $4 mill. If another veteran RB worth a salt is a consideration, it makes no sense to cut him.

Rawls - Love him. Love his attitude, nature, playing style, and of course, the results we saw. However, Lynch pounded his body for years and years before his first major injury. Rawls sustained a season-ending injury after just a handful of games. Now it would be unfair to claim that Rawls is not durable. Might have just been an unlucky situation. But Beast has come out of a zillion pileups without brakes or injury. Point is we're still not sure how durable Rawls is. We're a better team with both of them.

Play calling and Philosophy - Even during Wilson's amazing stretch of games, our run/pass splits remained consistent. If our play callers could wrap their heads around calling a game in that more open fashion even WITH Beast playing, it would be sweet. You can spread things out a bit more AND play Marshawn. Plus with more WRs ( no blocking TE) you need a stud RB pass protector. Marshawn is just that. This point requires flexibility by the OC though, so who knows there.

Kicking Butt For Another NFC Team - Do we really want to be on the hook for a $5 mill Beast cap hit AND watch him tear it up for Dallas, Arizona, SF, etc?

So, what are other good reasons to keep Beastmode?

chris98251

Reaction score
timmat":1jobcffh said:
This is not intended to be a debate thread. There have been many good points made in other threads regarding why Marshawn should be done in Seattle. So if you're inclined to make a post from that perspective, there are other "Thanks But See Ya Later" type threads available to you.

But let's see some reasons why the Hawks should consider bringing him back. Here are a few of mine:

Health - With less pounding this year and a longer off-season, Marshawn could be really fresh for next year (with the big assumption he fully heels from the surgery).

Performance - Beast still looked fierce to me. The O line was terrible at the beginning of the year when he got most of his touches. Not much any RB (or QB) can do when they are greeted in the backfield by multiple defenders as soon as you receive the ball. O line wasn't great in SB years either, but the beginning of this year took it to a new low.

Financial - Beast counts $5 mil or so against the cap next year, even if we cut him. So for a net addition of $6 mil or so, you can have Marshawn Lynch. If you cut Lynch and bring in another veteran to round out the RB corps, anyone decent will be at least $4 mill. If another veteran RB worth a salt is a consideration, it makes no sense to cut him.

Rawls - Love him. Love his attitude, nature, playing style, and of course, the results we saw. However, Lynch pounded his body for years and years before his first major injury. Rawls sustained a season-ending injury after just a handful of games. Now it would be unfair to claim that Rawls is not durable. Might have just been an unlucky situation. But Beast has come out of a zillion pileups without brakes or injury. Point is we're still not sure how durable Rawls is. We're a better team with both of them.

Play calling and Philosophy - Even during Wilson's amazing stretch of games, our run/pass splits remained consistent. If our play callers could wrap their heads around calling a game in that more open fashion even WITH Beast playing, it would be sweet. You can spread things out a bit more AND play Marshawn. Plus with more WRs ( no blocking TE) you need a stud RB pass protector. Marshawn is just that. This point requires flexibility by the OC though, so who knows there.

Kicking Butt For Another NFC Team - Do we really want to be on the hook for a $5 mill Beast cap hit AND watch him tear it up for Dallas, Arizona, SF, etc?

His in depth interviews :)

He helps the other RB's out a lot and is a great team mate, others have said that on this team, he is not the easiest guy to associate with though and seems a bit anti establishment, I don't think Bevell likes him at all and there is a problem there, especially after what Bevell said Sunday.

Somewhat amazingly, offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell acknowledged that same concept in pregame comments to Britt McHenry of ESPN. “You never know,” Bevell said regarding whether Lynch will play. “He can change his mind pregame.”

That's a shot from Bevell, all the games here if Lynch could play he played, got treatment and came in, and played never wanted to be on the sidelines if he was on the field. This is just like Bevells comments on Lockette. Just makes me want Bevell gone all the more. Siouxhawk I am sure will say that Bevell had to be miss quoted or was talking off the record or some other lame excuse. Really in my mind tells me the kind of person Bevell is for the second time in a year.

Oh and here is the Link in case I am accused of making it up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/17/marshawn-lynch-will-play-but-how-much/

RussB

Reaction score
Hes probably going to retire anyway. This isnt his team anymore, and the word is that he was hard to have around this season anyway.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Loved what he did for us, but don't think his heart is in the game anymore. And we need players that are "all in" and hungry for another championship.

Plus I like the power run game, but I think the dynamic of our offense has evolved.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
This chapter is about to end. A year too late.

I can't help wondering if the last SB had ended different, would Seattle have paid so much to bring back Lynch for one more year?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I could see him coming back to start the season out until Rawls is back to 100% and whatever rookie we have gets more time learning from the Beast.

Rocket

Reaction score
Cuz he broke a safety's helmet in his first game back from surgery, and he's a frikkin' beast.
WORK with the man, don't count him out.

kearly

Reaction score
My heart wants to keep him, but my brain does not.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I can't think of one actual realistic reason. I love him but it's time to accelerate the transition to making this team fully Wilson's show.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
I dont know if hes indeed lost a step or lost the desire or if hes the same beast mode hes always been but the only reason to bring him back is nostalgia. We loved what he did for us during his time but it's over, time to turn the page.

2_0_6

Reaction score
If he isn't a Hawk, and doesn't retire, I really hope he doesn't end up with the Cards, Packers, Pats, Broncos or Cowboys. The one I worry most about is the Pats. That would be a big FU to us, and Buffalo at the same time.

I would have to dislike and worry about facing the man eventually for 16 weeks if he did so. He would fill glaring holes on those teams instantly. .

el capitan

Reaction score
At this point in time I don't think it's good for him to be on the team, from what it appears when he's around the players are divided between him and Wilson. There's been reports of this dating back to when he almost didn't get on the plane to St Louis last year after PCJS traded Harvin. Notice how much better the whole team played, especially the offense, when Marshawn went California to rehab after his operation. And as soon as he returns to the team we revert back to the shitty team that started the season 2-4. I honestly think him being here is actually detrimental to the team right now.

Foghawk

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":18m47w9n said:
If he isn't a Hawk, and doesn't retire, I really hope he doesn't end up with the Cards, Packers, Pats, Broncos or Cowboys. The one I worry most about is the Pats. That would be a big FU to us, and Buffalo at the same time.

I would have to dislike and worry about facing the man eventually for 16 weeks if he did so. He would fill glaring holes on those teams instantly. .

For some reason I just can't see Lynch buying into the "Patriot Way", but who knows.

seahawks08

Reaction score
I wouldn't do anything to him, I will wait until training camp or later and see how he is health wise. With the surgery, he lost some weight, really emotional guy, so lets give him sometime. If he comes back as beast, I think he compliments this team rather than slow them down. A fast high power offense is good, but if you pound and grind, it takes so much pressure off blitzes and clock time, it is what sustains a team for the whole season. I haven't heard anything about he is tough to deal with in the locker room, but I don't know what happens behind the scenes, all I hear is his team mates love him. He is comes back as a beast and we cut him before that, he could be taken in by Arizona or whoever and become much more of a problem for us stopping him. Strategically, emotionally and every other way I look at it, it is more value than not.

2_0_6

Reaction score
seahawks08":2nm9a6w1 said:
I wouldn't do anything to him, I will wait until training camp or later and see how he is health wise. .

If Pete/JC wait til' camp to figure out a next move, they fail. A decision needs to be made pre-draft & FA.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Since you do not want anything but positive why we should keep him stuff I will refrain form saying anything.

djb28

Reaction score
chris98251":1qr8pjti said:
timmat":1qr8pjti said:

His in depth interviews :)

He helps the other RB's out a lot and is a great team mate, others have said that on this team, he is not the easiest guy to associate with though and seems a bit anti establishment, I don't think Bevell likes him at all and there is a problem there, especially after what Bevell said Sunday.

Somewhat amazingly, offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell acknowledged that same concept in pregame comments to Britt McHenry of ESPN. “You never know,” Bevell said regarding whether Lynch will play. “He can change his mind pregame.”

That's a shot from Bevell, all the games here if Lynch could play he played, got treatment and came in, and played never wanted to be on the sidelines if he was on the field. This is just like Bevells comments on Lockette. Just makes me want Bevell gone all the more. Siouxhawk I am sure will say that Bevell had to be miss quoted or was talking off the record or some other lame excuse. Really in my mind tells me the kind of person Bevell is for the second time in a year.

Oh and here is the Link in case I am accused of making it up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/17/marshawn-lynch-will-play-but-how-much/

I wish Bevel would come here and read some of the shots about himself.

Latest posts